Charles Fischer

"People-Mover" Jordon Scott: I DON'T AGREE, do You?

I call it the way I see it, and to me--Jordon Scott will not stick on an NFL team....and if he does, it will tick-me-off that much more as he did not perform at Oregon this last year as needed.  He has had some great moments, and I am grateful for him coming to Oregon, but 2020 was not a good year for him, IMHO.  Thoughts?

Mr. FishDuck

I would say in past years he was a people mover... This year not so much. 

He was also beat out for a starting spot in the last two games. 

He lost too much weight and as a result he wasn't a force on the defensive line but instead a linemen easily handled. 

If he was a people mover our run defense wouldn't have been so dreadful this last year. Too many holes opened up and forced a young defense to make a lot more tackles in space for rushing plays than acceptable. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Defensive scheme is so important for linemen, and I haven't watched enough film of his year to have a strong opinion on whether he was worse or better than before.

It's entirely possible that he struggled but he'll still stick in the NFL. We'll see if any team believes in him enough to use a draft pick on him.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Ed O said:

Defensive scheme is so important for linemen, and I haven't watched enough film of his year to have a strong opinion on whether he was worse or better than before.

This year the scheme was the same as last year. Big difference for Scott was that he dropped at least 20 pounds over the summer. Scott had lost weight over his years at Oregon but in 2019 he was at a fantastic playing weight. He had enough bulk to plug holes and be a force, while not so heavy that he had some good quickness off the line. 

This year it really felt like he had more quickness but a lot less bulk and was just countered. 

I think he'll stick in the NFL if he goes to a team that helps him gain some weight and deploys him properly.

I wonder about Jordon's weight loss and if that had an affect on his play as a senior?  Could Jordon be another Poona Ford?   I'm grateful to Fat Mac for holding down the D line for 3 years. It's pretty studly to walk in as a true freshman and call your spot like he did. 

• Like 1

I wholeheartedly agree, most of the people moving this season with Jordon Scott involved him being moved. Which is surprising, considering how valuable he has been in the past. After Jordon’s freshman season, where he was a 247 freshman All-American, I thought we could have a baby Vince Wilfork on our hands. Jordon didn’t improve like you would expect him to. He was still a key part of this defense 2017-19 and was responsible for a lot of eaten up blocks and those goal line and short yardage stops, and deserves to be remembered for that. 

In 2020 - wooooo, I think those saying his decision to lose weight for NFL scouts hurt him are correct. He didn’t look any more explosive, less so actually. Jordon lost what made him unique, which was his leverage from being a wide and short rock. Honestly he looked awful for most of the season, it looked like he finally woke up for part of the Fiesta Bowl. The staff most likely agreed since he and Faoliu were both benched from being starters for the Pac-12 championship and Kristian Williams looked better. 

It says a lot that Scott didn’t receive a combine invite. Austin Faoliu did, as an FYI. I’ve seen Oregon fans blame the DBs and LBs for the defensive shortcomings this season, but I’m staunchly in the camp that it was the interior DL that was by far the weakness of the team. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, RatherBe said:

I wholeheartedly agree, most of the people moving this season with Jordon Scott involved him being moved. Which is surprising, considering how valuable he has been in the past. After Jordon’s freshman season, where he was a 247 freshman All-American, I thought we could have a baby Vince Wilfork on our hands. Jordon didn’t improve like you would expect him to. He was still a key part of this defense 2017-19 and was responsible for a lot of eaten up blocks and those goal line and short yardage stops, and deserves to be remembered for that. 
In 2020 - wooooo, I think those saying his decision to lose weight for NFL scouts hurt him are correct. He didn’t look any more explosive, less so actually. Jordon lost what made him unique, which was his leverage from being a wide and short rock. Honestly he looked awful for most of the season, it looked like he finally woke up for part of the Fiesta Bowl. The staff most likely agreed since he and Faoliu were both benched from being starters for the Pac-12 championship and Kristian Williams looked better. 
It says a lot that Scott didn’t receive a combine invite. Austin Faoliu did, as an FYI. I’ve seen Oregon fans blame the DBs and LBs for the defensive shortcomings this season, but I’m staunchly in the camp that it was the interior DL that was by far the weakness of the team. 

We sure didn't set the edges too well did we? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RatherBe said:

I’m staunchly in the camp that it was the interior DL that was by far the weakness of the team. 

Powerful stuff, because I too maintain that with great D-Line play...it would have taken pressure off the newbie linebackers and secondary and everything is different on defense.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

The first question with Jordon was how did the #51 DT prospect in his class become our man in the middle, well done! The second question, I had, was he really 6' 1"? Going to the last question, can he return to what we saw at points in his career?  I hope so, love the guy!

I am left scratching my head with a lot of what happened last season. I am ready to move on!

I think the team was maybe on the Ron Burgundy weight lifting program. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Southern Duck said:

We sure didn't set the edges too well did we? 

There were a lot of things the defense didn’t do well. Most of them surprising, even with the graduation of Troy Dye and Bryson Young as well as the opt outs. On the edge Mase Funa was clearly out of shape early in the season, KT whiffed on some tackles early, Jamal Hill in that nick run support role tended to come in like he was on ice skates. The good news is that it really looked like it improved in the second half of the season. 

I think that their sins were minor compared to the interior DL. I have some examples, the picture below is one of them - Jermar Jefferson’s 82 yard TD run. There were several blatant holds on the play, when it happened I was sure it was coming back. In addition to other things going on and the holds Jordon Scott got bullied and basically blocked KT out of the play, while Austin Faoliu was being spun around with the grace of a taxiing Boeing 747. Amazing that Jefferson (behind Noah Sewell’s back) scored while literally surrounded. 

7B15589A-41D9-4C9F-B106-DB74C8C6F0B7.jpeg

Sewell over-ran that play badly...

Mr. FishDuck

1 hour ago, Ed O said:

We'll see if any team believes in him enough to use a draft pick on him.

I would be surprised if he is drafted. I would not be surprised if he is signed as a free agent.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Charles Fischer said:

The guy's got a motor. He over-ran several plays throughout the season. Coaching is going to make him a total beast. He's got half a year playing D-1 football and he is a "true freshman" entering this year. Look out world! I can't wait to see what two Flowe brothers are going to bring to the table this year... oh yeah, we have someone coming in from Lebanon.

🙂

So...was it Scott's idea that he lose 20 pounds?

For the number 882 national recruit, a home run.

Didn't have a great senior year, but as mentioned, an FWAA Freshman AA, started 37 of 38 games as a sophomore and junior playing over 1,000 snaps, receiving all Pac-12 HM honors both years. Oregon gave up 179 yards rushing in 2015 and 247 yards rushing in 2016 and then JS arrived in the middle and the next three seasons were: 128, 147, and 110.

Personally feel pretty good about Popo and Williams being ready to step in for 2021, but I don't know if there were a lot of game ready options at that spot over the last 3-4 seasons if not for JS?

At probably under 6-1, I don't know if he ever has been a slam dunk NFL prospect (despite taking a look at the draft prior to last season). Big guys who gobble up space still at a premium; but, I don't know if he ever has been seen as a impact guy on passing downs (even in high school). By all accounts he has worked on it, just hasn't seemed to translate.

Edited by AnotherOD

9 minutes ago, Annie said:

So...was it Scott's idea that he lose 20 pounds?

Yes, as he said so in newspaper interviews.  My speculation is that he went to Joe Salave'a and said he wanted to lose weight "to get more sacks" and if not allowed to cut pounds...he would opt out.  I would assume that the coaches went along with this with fingers crossed and hoping for the best.  But he is not a pass-rusher and at the lower weight was not a space-eater and did not demand double-teams, thus an open lineman to go get our newbie linebackers.

But again....this is guesses and speculation on my part.

Jordon Scott_Tom Corno.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

1 hour ago, Charles Fischer said:

You are 100% correct. Sewell thought he recognized the play and got there in a hurry - too much of a hurry. The cutback left him out of position. I don’t know if that was the play call for OSU or if Jefferson improvised, I didn’t think it was by design and he was supposed to go to the right side. Sewell wasn’t patient enough, sometimes you have to give up three yards instead of going for the big play and getting burned for 80 yards. 

I’ll be interested to see what Jordan Scott’s measurable are in actuality. He does not look 6’ 1”. His wingspan does not appear long. Each of those if under   sized will be much more detrimental at the next level where offensive lineman will all be taller and likely have longer wing spans. He never consistently showed the hands to get off blocks and rush the passer. He didn’t bat down many passes. 

His quickness is an asset and he’s got decent speed but so will most other lineman. I’m not convinced dropping 20 lbs. helped him and he’s still a big belly guy carrying extra dead weight. 
I predict a late round pick or free agent. I don’t see him as a three down NFL player. 

I try to remember that most NFL starters were the best 1-2 players on their college team. Can we say that about Jordan? He was a great Duck and hope he proves me wrong but the NFL exposes anyone but the very best. Even them sometimes. 

To me it seemed like Scott’s was more tailor made for Leavetts defense as opposed to Avalos defense. Sure he did fine in 19 but I though he was better the years prior. 
Also I really believe not having 4th quarter program really hurt our D-line as well as are O-line (not as much) and really affected Scott. I wish fat Mac the best.

Vince Goldsmith was one of our greatest lineman ever. He was undersized and ended up in Canada. I don't put Jordon in Vince's category, but he seems more in line with the Canadian game than the NFL. I wish him luck, and am grateful for his time at Oregon. What would we have done without this under appreciated high school recruit?

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, David Marsh said:

This year the scheme was the same as last year. Big difference for Scott was that he dropped at least 20 pounds over the summer. Scott had lost weight over his years at Oregon but in 2019 he was at a fantastic playing weight.

To give him the benefit of the doubt, we don't know how or why he lost that weight, It is possible that he lost the weight due to coaches saying he needed to be thinner/quicker or he could have lost it due to the lack of proper weight training during the covid shut out. 

Truthfully I think he performs better as a nose tackle in the Leavitt system than the DT position under Avalos. Avalos System just didn't fit what his role should be(closing gaps.) I think he has the possibility to be a long term NFL guy but  his rigidness, when you make him bulky enough to close gaps he loses his speed and when you make him light enough to have speed he loses his ability to maintain gap control, makes him a liability as well. He has almost limited himself to a short down and distance player and with the NFL throwing more frequently in this position it will be interesting to see how he comes out.