30Duck

Bad Start Dooms The Ducks, Lose To The Trojans 72-58

The closest the Ducks could get in this one was 3-0. Recap from goducks.com

NCAA Basketball: Stanford at Southern California

It was over when it started. A tough watch. 

Ugh! Or, was it "Ugg"?

Between turnovers, missed shots at the rim (like 30 of them) and USC not being able to miss in the first half this was a tough one. I still think this Ducks team has a lot of upside and will do well in tournaments (both conference and NCAA).

1 hour ago, SCO1586 said:

I still think this Ducks team has a lot of upside and will do well in tournaments (both conference and NCAA).

As bad as it looked, that is the thought i had when it was over as well. Typically, a big lead at the start of a basketball game is the most fragile in all sports. But this time, the Trojans were too hot, and the Ducks were just too bad, in everything, for it to be case in this game.

The Ducks looked like they couldn't move. On defense, if the Trojans weren't hitting 3's, ball and player movement created shots at the rim, on the rare occasion a Trojan missed, a teammate was right there to put it back in. meanwhile, the Ducks showed little interest in scoring at all in the first half.

In the second half, I think a lack of motivation for USC was part of it, but the Ducks did play better. I don't think this game will be of much use for film study by the Ducks, other than a warning that it can't happen again. 

This one was ugly. I switched it off at half time. We sure miss having a defensive threat at the center position like Jordan Bell or Chris Boucher.

30 minutes ago, Santa Rosa Duck said:

We sure miss having a defensive threat at the center position like Jordan Bell or Chris Boucher.

For a minute there it looked as though Kepnang might fill this role. He heats up for short periods but it doesn't seem like he is getting enough time on the court to get into and stay in a rhythm. 

This game for the Ducks looked to be a case of just simply not coming out mentally and physically prepared at the beginning. Perhaps too much travel and rigamarole the past several weeks.....but no excuses.....they just came out flat footed and essentially pooped the bed.

Edited by C J

3 hours ago, C J said:

For a minute there it looked as though Kepnang might fill this role. He heats up for short periods but it doesn't seem like he is getting enough time on the court to get into and stay in a rhythm. 

I agree he needs more minutes. I think Franck is going to be a good one. He needs to watch some Bell and Wooten film and work on his timing. The dude is crazy athletic for how big he is he just miss times jumps constantly. He would go up for a rebound and be back on the ground by the time the ball came off the rim. I think next year he is special.

Great to see Williams back in the lineup after a fairly long absence. Give credit to USC; they executed their game plan quite well. Our Ducks will have to make defensive adjustments-if any are needed-earlier in the game (and that includes double-teaming the ball, therefore leaving a red hot 3-point shooter open). Rebounding has been our Achilles heel in some games, but in other games we have been able to make up for it with better shooting and better defense (such was not the case last night). However, with this team's experience, my bet is that they bounce back just fine. Credit to Kepnang for working his tail off and bringing much enthusiasm to the court. Go Ducks!