OC Duck

Rooting for 50/50?? (Shough-Brown)

I am rooting for 50 percent Brown and  50 percent Shough for the game on Saturday. I am watching Oklahoma dominate Florida (hehe) and seeing how well they run the RPO. The last three games the Ducks have struggled to execute the RPO. I am hoping that they give Brown a series early to see if he can move the offense  He just seems to have a better skill set to run Moorheads offense than Shough. Then let whoever runs the team better get the majority of the snaps (kind of like the backup quarterback from Texas against Colorado and the backup to Trask tonight in the Florida game). 

Our offense was hard to watch at times during the USC game and one of  the bright spots was when Brown came into the game. I know the coaches know best however I think it would be exciting to see him run the offense at least 50 percent of the time. I am up for some more excitement from a very exciting young football player. 

Okay, I'm a believer.  I went to YT and checked out Brown's work in 2017 and 18.  He doesn't have a rocket for an arm, but he looked sharp in all other aspects of qb'ing.  He worked from under center in various alignments.  He even looked pretty good against Clemson...except for a scrambling interception.  But he likely now has enough practice time with the JM offense that he's likely pretty comfortable with it.

Definitely, I say start Mr. Brown and let him take our Ducks to the Fiesta party.

As the saying goes, "If you have two QB's, you don't have 1 QB". It's great if you have two great quarterbacks, like the 49ers had in Montana and Young. But Montana had to leave before Young got his chance. I don't see how it really works, using them interchangeably in a game.

If the Ducks are truly living up to the mantra that football is a "team" sport then let Brown take more than a cursory four or five snaps. Bowl games have been games of innovation throughout the years and now is a good time to let Moorhead get creative and lay the groundwork for 2021.

The question, is Moorhead getting more comfortable with Brown as the season progresses and less comfortable with Shough? There are signs this may be true, and come game time we will see if it is the case.

I tend to think Shough is the one who is getting progressively less comfortable as qb and that is a problem. If Shough starts and struggles then the question is when will Brown see the game. Shough ended the SC game with a 28 QBR, the previous game he rated in the 50's, the game before that the 60's, before that 70's, before that 90. 

Much like the yips in golf they don't go away with more pressure situations. The Fiesta Bowl, close to home, may cause an even more severe case of the qb yips. I hope he rises up and conquers his demons, but Moorhead has to be ready to help this kid out in the offseason, and put Brown in during the Fiesta. 

It is not like the '96 masters where Norman had to try and finish out the tournament. If Shough continues to struggle, then let somebody else finish out the season, win the Fiesta.

Edited by Haywarduck

Am I crazy that I want a couple of plays with BOTH quarterbacks on the field at the same time. 

It makes me think of one of Mariota's two receiving touchdowns as Bennett and Mariota were both on the field at the same time and Mariota caught a touchdown pass. 

17 hours ago, OC Duck said:

I am rooting for 50 percent Brown and  50 percent Shough for the game on Saturday.

I am with you on this OC, (and great to see you posting, WELCOME) although if one gets a hot hand--staying with him makes sense.

1 hour ago, David Marsh said:

Am I crazy that I want a couple of plays with BOTH quarterbacks on the field at the same time. 

GREAT observation and memory David.  I should think there are quite a few plays via the Wildcat or simply a shotgun where having two experienced quarterbacks on the field could really stress a defense!

BTW, Everyone....notice how:

--I just did single space by hitting the "Enter" or "Return" and the "Shift" key at the same time.
--I was able to bring just a sentence of the original post as a quote. How? I highlighted the sentence or sentence fragment and a little box appears when you are done that has the word "Quote" in it.  Click on that box and the shorter quote appears in your post.
--I was able to bold the quotes just I can anything in my post.

For more directions (unlike any other site) go to right here for using the Posting Box; everything is easy and just a couple of clicks, but I did not know the steps and now I do and have passed them along to all of you!

giphy.gif

I might be going a little crazy with using all the new features...but once you know how it is fun!

Mr. FishDuck

I'd give Shough one Qtr to prove himself. If it's obvious he's still struggling then put Brown in for as long as needed.

Not really into the 50/50 thing. 

Not sure it will be 50/50 but I do think we will see both. As others have said it will probably come down to who can move the ball will stay in the longest. 

It's been over for two days, but one thing I would ask Cristobal if I could, very politely, is what was behind his decisions as to when to put in Shough and when to play Anthony Brown. It didn't seem to be switching quarters or even series, but, to my non-coaching eye, rather random. He may very well have had good reasons for when each played, but I'd love to know what those reasons were.

10 minutes ago, Annie said:

one thing I would ask Cristobal if I could, very politely, is what was behind his decisions as to when to put in Shough and when to play Anthony Brown

It seemed that he was simply going by his gut, and Cristobal has shown to not have good instincts on offense, and this could be another example of that.  

Great to see you post Annie!

Mr. FishDuck