Charles Fischer

Are the Ducks Just ONE PLAYER Away from the Playoffs?

This national article by Bleacher Report lists the teams they believe that are just one player away...and the Ducks are among them.  Is their position listed the only one?  The only variable for 2021?

10 College Football Teams That Are 1 Piece Away from Making the CFB Playoff by Bleacher Report

Brandon Dorlus Sack vs. OSU_Tom Corno.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

Their position listed is the biggest piece missing to get to the playoffs but not the Only one. That being said I do think Oregon has the pieces but can and will they fit into place? How quickly? This team needs to improve in a big way to be considered for the CFP this coming season. The talent is there no question..........I am excited to see it!

Yes... It certainly feels that way though in 2021 if qb is sorted out it also looks like the rest of the piecesay finally be in place.... I would say a power runningback as the other piece needed though hopefully some youngsters have something to say about that. 

Also... I laughed so hard when  I saw USC on that list needing a runningback. Might help if they actually use the ones they have correctly. Sorry... I seem to have an irrational desire to dump on the Trojans right now. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, David Marsh said:

Might help if they actually use the ones they have correctly.

That actually is a completely rational thought when it comes to USC. When they went, "Air Raid" they pretty much discarded the "Ground Attack" in their offense. This seems to be a big reason why so many of their games were toss ups.

1 hour ago, 30Duck said:

This seems to be a big reason why so many of their games were toss ups.

Some were literal toss ups! 

• Thumbs Up 1

I thought that the most informed comment in the article is that Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State can put the playoff on their schedule in ink, Notre Dame probably should use a pencil, but these 10 teams are maybe one player short of fighting it out for possibly one opening. Interesting that Cincy get's "Respect" as the missing element while Oregon definitely needs some,

giphy.gif

I disagree. It's more than one position and QB isn't the main position in need.

The main position is probably deficit two players and it's the defensive line. We need two big maulers up front to keep offenses below 75 yards a game rushing. 

We could also use help at safety.

QB is in question but I think the answers will come soon once TT gets rolling, though we likely will have to wait a year or two till we are competitive enough to make the playoffs.

Our main issue is the same issue it has been during the past few decades of Ducks football. Where are the big gnarly mean brick wall maulers on the defensive line? We know they aren't really here in high schools on the west coast so how can we compete with the SEC teams to bring just a few of those guys to Eugene?

A 12-1 Ducks team almost certainly makes the playoffs, so you could afford one loss to Ohio State or anyone else as long as you win the conference championship. I think that’s very doable if there is a very good QB - doesn’t even have to be great or elite. 

58 minutes ago, C J said:The main position is probably deficit two players and it's the defensive line. We need two big maulers up front to keep offenses below 75 yards a game rushing. 

Huh? Allow under 75 yards rushing per game? In the last 10 seasons that’s been accomplished a grand total of three times, once by Georgia and twice by Alabama. Even Alabama allowed 113 per game last year. The run defense needs to improve, but let’s be realistic. 2019 Oregon allowed 118 per game, that was as fine of a defense as we’ve had and good enough to make the playoffs.

• Thumbs Up 2