FishDuck Article

Should the Ducks Fly With the Freakish 5-Star Athlete, Nyckoles Harbor?

He could follow in Devon's foot steps and due the 110 hurdles, as tall as he is not much hurdling would be required.

On 12/31/2022 at 9:33 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Whoops.  He admits that you have to change her mind from Michigan...

NH hates Oregon3.jpg

I wrote him off as a possibility as soon as I saw this.  

Remember, Mothers and Girlfriends are still undefeated in recruiting. 

Edited by GeotechDuck
  • Thumbs Up 1

I’ll go with “Pleasant problem to have” for a thousand Alex. 

• Applause 1

IMHO this really isn't a question. He is faster than Metcalf, De Anthony, James, Tyner, Stewart, Barner, Kent, Allen and he is taller than Metcalf..... You stick him at wide out, certainly never in the slot, and you let him take the top off the defense in every game. Based on his highlight reels, he can also catch... His weight won't be an issue as he can keep track weight at wide out... let him do both.... Is the fastest ever Oregon duck football recruit a good fit? Yes, no question. It's almost like asking should the Ducks recruit the tallest fastest player in the country who can catch?

Perspective on his speed:

200M Usain Bolt ran a 21.05 in his Olympic debut at age 18. This kids PR at 18 is 20.79

100M Tyreek HILL 10:19 Nyckoles Harbor 10.22 DAT 10.31, Metcalf 10.38, Tyner 10.38, James 10.49, Kent 10.54

Who wants a 6'5 225lb Tyreek Hill?...

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 3

On 1/2/2023 at 3:25 PM, Duckology said:

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

IMHO this really isn't a question. He is faster than Metcalf, De Anthony, James, Tyner, Stewart, Barner, Kent, Allen and he is taller than Metcalf..... You stick him at wide out, certainly never in the slot, and you let him take the top off the defense in every game. Based on his highlight reels, he can also catch... His weight won't be an issue as he can keep track weight at wide out... let him do both.... Is the fastest ever Oregon duck football recruit a good fit? Yes, no question. It's almost like asking should the Ducks recruit the tallest fastest player in the country who can catch?

Perspective on his speed:

200M Usain Bolt ran a 21.05 in his Olympic debut at age 18. This kids PR at 18 is 20.79

100M Tyreek HILL 10:19 Nyckoles Harbor 10.22 DAT 10.31, Metcalf 10.38, Tyner 10.38, James 10.49, Kent 10.54

Bo Nix?

• Thumbs Up 1

Is the fastest ever Oregon duck football recruit a good fit?

Well, ok. I can't help but thinking about a young Patrick Johnson.

Ran 10.26 and a 20.39 in a college track and field meet (he also famously beat Carl Lewis Lewis in a 100m race at the Drake Relays). As a high school senior, he led the nation at 100m and 200m for much of his senior year (wiki); and, heading into his college soph season at Oregon was the preseason NCAA favorite at 400m. He famously considered redshirting and sitting out the 1996 football season to prepare for the Olympics. I believe he had some injury trouble that sophomore year and never stepped on the track again.

It doesn't change the point this kid has got serious speed; but, had to give Patrick Johnson a mention.

On 1/2/2023 at 4:40 PM, AnotherOD said:

had to give Patrick Johnson a mention.

And Pat Johnson sure used that speed to help beat the damn Huskies...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Nyckoles could be developed to play both sides of the ball without compromising his track aspirations. On offense I would agree with some of the posts that we should keep him at WR and out wide where he can work the deep threat one on one. His speed and size with Bo Nix accuracy would be deadly. If you combine him with Franklin and company, you have a real potent wideout corps that could keep even the best defenses honest.

On defense I would consider developing Nyckoles as a safety were he can bounce from the free safety and strong safety positions. This would allow us to use his size, speed and length to disrupt pass opportunities but also give QB's fits when blitzing off the edge. While no position in football is immune to injury, statistically safety is one of the least injury prone positions in football. In my mind this would give us the best chance to keep him healthy on both sides of the field as well as on the track.

His size at safety would put him in similar company to Pat Watkins but with more speed and quickness. He could be absolutely dominating at safety in a few years once he further develops his knowledge, skills, and strength. He would not have to worry one bit about adding size to his frame at the safety position. He could immediately step in and be a key contributor and develop into a first-round top pick. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Get this kid to chase Caleb Williams around.

There are plenty of five-star prospects who don't work out, for a variety of reasons: over-estimated talent, lack of development, injury, transfer, multi-sport aspirations, etc. As Charles noted, there are reasons to be unsure about exactly where this kid's talents will take him — to becoming a track-first guy who spurns football, or to becoming a great football player who dabbles in track. As one commenter noted, the star system itself is far from a perfect predictor of success (because doing so perfectly is impossible).

And as teams like TCU have proven, having a roster of top talents isn't always better than having a roster of gritty players who play together. Oregon in its Rich Brooks years proved the same thing. Yet it would be the height of folly, and maybe even a dangerous direction, if we start second-guessing supreme talents who want to come to Eugene. Even if this kid DID ultimately give up football for a track career at Oregon, we should thank him for it.

Losing a scholarship when a five-star football player seeks other pastures is more than worth it. The REAL risk is in not welcoming a talent like this. The risk here is in over-thinking it. I mean, what are we going to do, withdraw this offer and give the slot to a three-star guy? Great programs must fight other great programs. But they also must guard against their own hubris

• Thumbs Up 1

I should have included all of the fastest Oregon men in my comparison...  I am making the comparison based on high school times... another mention should be made of Sammie Parker as well at 10.18 but that was a collegiate time as is Patrick Johnsons 10.26... of note those two guys were 5'11 and 5'10 respectively. We are talking about a guy who is 10.22 in high school, is 6" taller than both of them at a minimum, and outweighs them both by more than 25lbs...  I literally can't find any recruits for any school ever that match his overall measurables...

Funny thing is he might not even be the fastest guy the Ducks pickup this signing season...Pleasant's PR is 10.14....

A few other 100m comparisons to put his speed into comparison...

Bo Jackson: 10.44

Deon Sanders: 10.26

Jerry Rice 10.49

DeSean Jackson 10.50

I hope we get both of them.... but really hope we get Harbor.....

Edited by Duckology
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bottomline is if Pleasant and or Harbor sign with Oregon, speed is back in the program. Oregon football isn't right without speed, real speed. 

There is another dimension to the game when a defense, special teams and an offense has speed. I want to see that again!

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2