DrJacksPlaidPants

Steve Sarkisian in Hot Water

When your nickname is “Seven Win Sark”, but you get that 8th win and your ego explodes. 

I don’t like people touching me either, but I’m not going to go all “Bobby Knight” on a guy who’s just trying to do his job.

• Wow 1

Viral Video Shows Texas’s Steve Sarkisian Berating Crew Member Before Alamo Bowl

As Sarkisian is preparing to lead his team out of the tunnel prior to kickoff, a crew member wearing a headset was seen putting his hand on the Texas coach’s chest to let him know that they should wait to run out of the tunnel.

What seemed innocuous turned heated when Sarkisian apparently took offense to the crew member’s actions and began yelling obscenities at the individual.

Sarkisian exploded, and was seen mouthing the obscenities...

WWW.SI.COM

It was not a good look for the Longhorns coach.
  • Wow 1
  • Applause 1

Sark must be back on the rye again 😬

• Oh no! 1
  • Yikes! 1
  • Wow 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/31/2022 at 11:43 AM, Babyjesus615 said:

Sark must be back on the rye again 😬

Actually, he acts like a guy who has quit drinking. He could probably use a gummy to smooth out the rough edges.

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 4

One of those items the NCAA thinks are 'harmful' to student athletes?

• Haha 1

This kind of conduct by 'The Leader' of a program sets the tone for respect of the game. I understand its a high energy environment, but there is NO excuse for berating anyone doing their job, Period!

Not only does Seven win Sark need to apologize, there needs to be a fine as well. $5000 should cover it. Verbal abuse is not what these employees sign up for to do a game. That's just Husky Poop! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh well ... he lost his temper. Move on as far as I am concerned. Not a big deal. 

The top job is not meant for everyone.  Better to be the OC than take on the pressure of the whole team.  Maybe his last year to let it all shake out as HC.

IDK. The bowl officials hand movements were odd. Could have felt creepy to Sark. Also, verbal communication was received and Sark was holding players back.

I am going to give Sark benefit of doubt due to the way he was grabbed.  Kinda weird.

On 12/31/2022 at 1:09 PM, Log Haulin said:

IDK. The bowl officials hand movements were odd. Could have felt creepy to Sark. Also, verbal communication was received and Sark was holding players back.

I am going to give Sark benefit of doubt due to the way he was grabbed.  Kinda weird.

Even if the hand movements were odd and he heard what the guy said, I feel it is NOT ok for a head coach to say what he did. Poor example of a coach and in his position, he should know better! 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

If someone touches me like that, and I know they're just doing their job, I don't immediately start yelling obscenities, making veiled threats, and looking like I'm about have a heart attack.  I'm not saying he should be fired or anything, but he's an butt, and he's always has been one.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

7-W Cutty Sark went completely bat-crap-crazy for a moment there... went from 0-100 mph in nothing flat.

I'm just glad he didn't blow out his one of his carotid arteries... or for that matter, that one of his eyeballs didn't pop out. 

• Haha 1

image.gif.08b412faeb54a877b3787ab8ec239a81.gif

image.jpeg.c1f8466cf474d25854892f4371e1e824.jpeg

I always thought these two guys were nut jobs, but at least they directed their anger at the refs which is completely acceptable. Especially in the Pac 12.

• Like 1

Rich Rod was a pleasant personality as well...

Rich Rod azcatszone.com - Copy - Copy.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

I miss "7-W Cutty" at Washington... and those three consecutive 7-6 seasons he had there. 

He done great at Texas the though... 5-7, and 8-5. He's almost averaging his magical average of 7 wins per season. 

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sark should be embarrassed for himself and should apologize.  No one should act like that.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/31/2022 at 1:35 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Rich Rod was a pleasant personality as well...

Rich Rod azcatszone.com - Copy - Copy.jpg

And that was after his team scored!!  😂

• Haha 1

Things unraveled for him at Arizona when he had his young intern-girlfriend, and his wife on the sidelines for a game at the same time.  

giphy.gif

• Oh no! 1
  • Yikes! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/31/2022 at 3:47 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Things unraveled for him at Arizona when he had his young intern-girlfriend, and his wife on the sidelines for a game at the same time.  

giphy.gif

It's really quite shocking. I just don't understand why the three of them just couldn't get along. 

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1

Texas Must Fire Steve Sarkisian...Here are a few reasons why.

• -- How can one of the so-called leaders of the University of Texas be someone that acts like that? That’s first and foremost.
  •  
  • -- What would have happened if a college professor went through a similar exchange with another person and it was released to Twitter,       Instagram, Facebook and all across the world? They’d be gone, post haste.
  •  
  • -- Numerous college coaches, and entire coaching staffs, will ask parents why they would trust their kids to be around a head coach              with the power of the Texas head coach that acts like Sarkisian did.
WWW.MSN.COM

Time to fire Texas head football coach Steve Sarkisian.
  •  
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/31/2022 at 9:48 AM, LADuck said:

Oh well ... he lost his temper. Move on as far as I am concerned. Not a big deal. 

Losing your temper and being a raving foul mouth lunatic are two entirely different things. Big difference, big deal.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Checked in and it seems Texas fans aren't too upset.

I kind of agree the TV guy was a bit more "handsy" than was necessary.

And, if Sark was in line for a club, bar, or restaurant in his personal life I could see it -- if that is how he decides he wants to handle the situation.

However as a high profile representative of a public university -- while performing his duties in public as people have said the encounter was visible from the stands (and as far as Sark new within camera's eye) -- I think a reasonable to expect coach to dial it back at least a little.

It demonstrates a complete lack of discipline. 

Discipline is a requirement for any great endeavor. 

It’s really astounding that Arch Manning wants to play for that. Frankly, it makes me question his judgment. No NIL deal would be worth it to play for 7-win Sark.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Isn’t a “handler/director" common in these situations?  Can’t be the first time the coach faced this. Man, he went from zero to vein bulging-eye popping in < a second. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Guess I grew up in a different era that let things like this go. My Little League coach was too tough for today's kids but I think he taught me a lot about the old fashioned word "hustle." Not saying what Sark did was right at all just saying I have seen people lose their temper and it isn't a big deal to me but the world has changed. Wonder if guys like Mike Ditka or Vince Lombardi could coach today? Speaking of Ditka came across this video you all might get a laugh out of:

• Haha 1

Hmmmmm...  He didn't Win the Day.

What else is new?  Once a jerk, usually still a jerk.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think I might add some more perspective coming from a Grandfather. 

I was raised in a world where me and my cousins would try to one up each other by telling of the types of discipline we received.  It was a world of getting spanked by a 2x4. I wasn't injured mind you, but as kids, we kind of walked around like it was a badge of honor with who got it the worst.

My father was beat up by his dad, my grandpa, and dad said he deserved it. Why do I share this?

I have no ill will towards my father, he thought he was doing right by instilling discipline. It needs to be remembered that in the 50's through the 80's that the communication access to reasonable parenting was limited. Nobody, and I mean nobody questioned how a father disciplined his own. But, nobody questioned alot of things back in the day. Nobody knew the dirty little secrets that most families had/have.

I love football. I love the incredible chess match. I believe its the greatest game on earth. 11 on 11 reacting within 3 seconds to every single play. 

But, somewhere we have chalked up inappropriate behavior to just being tough. I am reminded, by the same father of my youth, that you stand in the face of extreme danger and protect your family. As the head of a family, I must be the calm in the face of the storm. My family will find the leadership that comes from it as something to look up to and fight for. How the Head acts is how the body goes. 

Long winded, I know, but it gives perspective to why I feel the way I do. 7 Win Sark, 7WS, has been a head coach long enough to know his place. That media guy was doing his job. Holding 85-100 people back in a highly energized environment. Coach should have been steeled already for that repetitious environment. 

No excuse. Everyone was watching. His kids too.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Culture.  Not the Right Kind Coach.  Part of the Issue at Washington, then USC.  Pressure at a job, often bleeds through our performance at our jobs.  The Kettle is boiling, who gets burned?

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/31/2022 at 2:53 PM, Desert Duck said:

It's really quite shocking. I just don't understand why the three of them just couldn't get along. 

Evidently his wife just couldn’t take a joke

On 1/1/2023 at 10:10 AM, LADuck said:

I have seen people lose their temper and it isn't a big deal to me

I have witnessed an unfortunate number of adults losing their temper, and it is a big deal.

LEADERS losing their cool over something silly IS a big deal.

I'm sorry you've been inured to negativity, but that doesn't mean that we should tolerate it.

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

LOL ... "inured to negativity." No ... just know that humans sometimes lose their tempers and can move on from it. 

Sometimes things happen that piss people off and they temporarily lose it. 

Edited by LADuck
  • Haha 1

I have played for coaches that lost their temper, and it was never an isolated incident. 

It was always the worst coaches. The great coaches wouldn’t even think of losing their cool. 

Young people should not be exposed to that type of poor leadership. It’s a terrible role model and makes the game miserable. And that’s if you’re lucky enough not be the one on the receiving end of the tirade. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Agree it is much better to stay composed and I personally would not want my kid playing for a hothead. Think in the past some of the great coaches were allowed to lose their tempers more than is accepted today. I think of Earl Weaver, Mike Ditka, Vince Lombardi, Woody Hayes, Jerry Sloan, Bobby Cox, Greg Popovich, Tom Coughlin, and Lou Pinella when I think of winning managers that had a hard time controlling their tempers.

How could I forget Billy Martin? Maybe the worst temper of the bunch.

Edited by LADuck
  • Go Ducks! 1

@LADuck

Great examples. And I appreciate the distinction btwn kids’ coaches and pros. 

All the examples are blasts from the past.  The standards have changed for good reason, which seems like the point you’re making. 

Those tempers were stupid—teams would have been better off if they dismissed the perpetrators.