Ktmguy2018

We Have a Heisman Sham

Watching TCU play Michigan.  How Max Duggan did NOT win the Heisman over Caleb Williams is beyond me.  

The Heisman winner is sitting at home because his season is over and there is NO WAY you can tell me that he was more valuable to his team than Duggan.

Sham of an award this year.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 8

Agree 1000% shame on the committee.

I agree in that Duggan probably should have won the Heisman.

But he didn't have what Williams had... a two year Heisman campaign. Williams went into this season as a favorite to win the Heisman. USC is "back" and with all the hype around USC, Lincoln Riley and Caleb Williams, he was bound to get an invite to NYC at least. Then Williams put together a good season, I won't deny that, he had great numbers. And that was enough for USC and the heavy LA media market needed.

If Williams and Riley stayed at Oklahoma he probably would have won it there as well. The hype train was all Williams this year and even a couple losses weren't going to start it.

I think Stetson Bennett was also worthy of a strong Heisman look as well. He isn't flashy but he gets the job done for his team.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/31/2022 at 8:46 PM, cartm25 said:

I’m no Williams fan, but Williams had better numbers.

But it can't be just about the numbers...and what numbers are we going with?

Williams had more 700 more yards than Duggan, but 700 less than Penix.

Williams had 7 more TDs than Duggan, but less than Drake Maybe of UNC.

And there were four other QBs who had better passing efficiency than Williams.

Was Williams good this year?  Yes, he had some good numbers.  But to me, Duggan has demonstrated "great ability combined with diligence, perseverance, and hard work" (From the Heisman website) and has a TCU team in the championship.  A TCU team that wasn't even ranked and had NO hype to start the year.  My $0.02.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/31/2022 at 9:18 PM, Ktmguy2018 said:

great ability combined with diligence, perseverance, and hard work" (From the Heisman website)

The Heisman website also says the trophy is awarded to the most outstanding player. Note- not the most valuable player. I would agree that Duggan is more valuable to TCU, but that Williams is more outstanding. If you everyone wants to just point out numbers, Bo Nix beats out Duggan in multiple categories: passing yards, pass efficiency, rushing td's, and QBR. Also, Nix only had 1 less passing TD than Duggan. Williams trounced these guys. He deserved the Heisman. No doubt. And obviously the voters agreed.  

Props to Duggan for making it to the NC. 

I think it could easily be argued that the other three Heisman finalists and  playoff participants) (Duggan, Stroud, and Bennett)  were all more deserving than a guy who could not engineer a win over Utah to get in the playoffs. And by the way, having to rely on statistics  to win awards is what is wrong  with Heisman balloting.  Just my opinion.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Hendon Hooker for Tennessee should have been a finalist.  I’ve kind of given up on the Heisman, for the most part.  

On 12/31/2022 at 10:33 PM, TexasDuck said:

Hendon Hooker for Tennessee should have been a finalist.  I’ve kind of given up on the Heisman, for the most part.  

But like Bo, Hendon broke the big rule about the Heisman... You can't get injured. 

But let's get real here if you play 10-11 games in a season and get injured and have to sit out and you are that outstanding of a player you should be considered. 

I mean Nix's game against Utah wasn't flashy but it was super gritty and showed why he was worthy of consideration ... Or at least should be worthy. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Stetson Bennett won the NC last year. He drove his team down the field last night for the game winning TD to get in the NC this year.

Bennett should be the winner. Numbers be darned. He is THE champ. 

• Thumbs Up 1

What I know is if we are to have a great season, Bo will have to be in New York for the ceremony. I would love to see Bucky there too! 

On 1/1/2023 at 11:07 AM, cartm25 said:

I don’t like him,

I'll agree with this! Ha!

• Salute 1
  • Haha 1