FishDuck Article

What Oregon Can Learn From the CFP

Strong D, great QBs, and splash plays...

FISHDUCK.COM

After an absolutely wild CFP semifinals, the Championship Game is set, with a matchup that approximately zero people saw coming. TCU will try to complete the...

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Great article, Charles. All of it is so spot on. And, as you said, Oregon is not far off from being there.

I think you missed somethings. Completely agree, great qb play and explosive plays are critical. 

You can' just think you should be in the playoffs, lose to Utah twice, and repeatedly choke your bowl games. I suppose that is the BIG's problem soon enough.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Yours is a good topic, Joshua. Studying the best and emulating their skills and tactics is the way to improve.

The receivers in the playoffs performed amazingly. The Ducks need more speed in their receiving ranks, then need to refine route-running, hand and arm strength, and skills using their bodies to defeat defenders. Those are easy to say and hard to execute principles.

The Ducks running backs are sublime. They are elite and will improve with more Carrie’s and coaching. Check that box.

The Ducks need more speed on the edges. Sealing the edge by preventing the ball carrier from turning the corner is key. Along with that is the need for better DB’s. Winning a championship requires shutdown defenders who can stay close to receivers, close quickly, and play man to man defense consistently winning matchups.

As Joshua said, an elite QB is necessary to win a championship. A fully healthy Bo Nix might be good enough, Certainly it takes Bo’s QB ability or more. Size, speed, motion, leadership, toughness, decision making, competitive spirit, mental processing, mobility, the ability to read defenses and anticipate - being an elite Quarterback requires so much. There is a great leap from being a very good QB to being elite.

Then the Ducks need big uglies in the middle of the defensive line. The kind with push who can bully and maul offensive linemen to plug the gaps. Those who can defeat the blockers and tackle.

The Ducks are building a championship team. Dan, Tosh, and Klemm know what it takes to win . Can they gather the players that are needed and prepare them enough to become national champions? 

Edited by Notalot
  • Thumbs Up 2

I don't know what our blue-chip ratio (BCR) will look like in 2023 (in 2022, it was 60% according to 247 composite) or how to factor NIL/Transfer complexities into BCR, but if we can get it closer to 80%, with Bo Nix staying healthy and this young coaching staff's maturation based on the 2022 season, I like our chances to get to the CFP.

My annual goals are as always the same:

1. Beat OSU

2. Beat UW

3. Win the Conference

4. Win your bowl game

If Bo were healthy this year, I think this was feasible. I think this is achievable in 2023 with 95% certainty--again, if Bo is healthy.    Anything beyond that list is "gravy" to me.  Rose Bowl win would be better than the CFP 1st round loss in my mind.

If we push that BCR up to 80%, with Dan's Dudes, then I think we are legit contenders. I wish Sonny Dykes was our OC.

On 1/3/2023 at 5:38 AM, Desert Duck said:

Great article, Charles.

Not mine!  A great article by Joshua, as always.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Enjoyed your article, Joshua. I can't wait to see a healthy Bo Nix operate the offense next season. We should be very good on that side of the ball. The defense comes a little slower. If we could have incremental improvements in needed areas, the team could be very good.

On 1/3/2023 at 12:08 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Not mine!  A great article by Joshua, as always.

Sorry Joshua for trying to give Charles credit for your fine work... Great article. Thank you for the depth. 

Edited by Desert Duck

On 1/3/2023 at 8:48 AM, Haywarduck said:

I think you missed somethings. Completely agree, great qb play and explosive plays are critical. 

You can' just think you should be in the playoffs, lose to Utah twice, and repeatedly choke your bowl games. I suppose that is the BIG's problem soon enough.

Yeah...USC forgot that defense is also apart of the game lol.

On 1/3/2023 at 11:16 AM, Notalot said:

Yours is a good topic, Joshua. Studying the best and emulating their skills and tactics is the way to improve.

The receivers in the playoffs performed amazingly. The Ducks need more speed in their receiving ranks, then need to refine route-running, hand and arm strength, and skills using their bodies to defeat defenders. Those are easy to say and hard to execute principles.

The Ducks running backs are sublime. They are elite and will improve with more Carrie’s and coaching. Check that box.

The Ducks need more speed on the edges. Sealing the edge by preventing the ball carrier from turning the corner is key. Along with that is the need for better DB’s. Winning a championship requires shutdown defenders who can stay close to receivers, close quickly, and play man to man defense consistently winning matchups.

As Joshua said, an elite QB is necessary to win a championship. A fully healthy Bo Nix might be good enough, Certainly it takes Bo’s QB ability or more. Size, speed, motion, leadership, toughness, decision making, competitive spirit, mental processing, mobility, the ability to read defenses and anticipate - being an elite Quarterback requires so much. There is a great leap from being a very good QB to being elite.

Then the Ducks need big uglies in the middle of the defensive line. The kind with push who can bully and maul offensive linemen to plug the gaps. Those who can defeat the blockers and tackle.

The Ducks are building a championship team. Dan, Tosh, and Klemm know what it takes to win . Can they gather the players that are needed and prepare them enough to become national champions? 

Really, really good takeaways here. I actually like our talent at receiver, I feel we've recruited it well. But I agree, we haven't developed players at that position at the rate of Ohio State for example. One of our tight ends stepping up and being a real mismatch nightmare would also be ideal.

Defensive back is a big one. Christian Gonzalez was a welcome addition for a year, but we really need consistent players like him in the secondary to have the type of defense necessary to compete with the elites.

• Go Ducks! 1

On 1/3/2023 at 11:33 AM, idontrollonshobbas said:

I don't know what our blue-chip ratio (BCR) will look like in 2023 (in 2022, it was 60% according to 247 composite) or how to factor NIL/Transfer complexities into BCR, but if we can get it closer to 80%, with Bo Nix staying healthy and this young coaching staff's maturation based on the 2022 season, I like our chances to get to the CFP.

My annual goals are as always the same:

1. Beat OSU

2. Beat UW

3. Win the Conference

4. Win your bowl game

If Bo were healthy this year, I think this was feasible. I think this is achievable in 2023 with 95% certainty--again, if Bo is healthy.    Anything beyond that list is "gravy" to me.  Rose Bowl win would be better than the CFP 1st round loss in my mind.

If we push that BCR up to 80%, with Dan's Dudes, then I think we are legit contenders. I wish Sonny Dykes was our OC.

It just makes me giddy to see someone else talk about the blue-chip ratio haha, but you're so right. Luckily, we've recruited really, really well for Pac-12 standards recently. Now we just need to keep pushing to get those top-5-type classes.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/3/2023 at 2:26 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Enjoyed your article, Joshua. I can't wait to see a healthy Bo Nix operate the offense next season. We should be very good on that side of the ball. The defense comes a little slower. If we could have incremental improvements in needed areas, the team could be very good.

I agree entirely. I have very little concerns about the offense. The defense is where we'll need to see some growth if we plan on winning the conference.

On 1/3/2023 at 2:50 PM, Desert Duck said:

Sorry Joshua for trying to give Charles credit for your fine work... Great article. Thank you for the depth. 

No worries, haha, I appreciate you giving it a read!

On 1/3/2023 at 9:13 PM, Joshua Whitted said:

It just makes me giddy to see someone else talk about the blue-chip ratio haha, but you're so right. Luckily, we've recruited really, really well for Pac-12 standards recently. Now we just need to keep pushing to get those top-5-type classes.

Thanks for the good read Joshua....if anyone can keep pushing for the Top 5, it's Dan Lanning and crew.  I know Mariø had recruiting success in Eugene as well, but DL ( I want to start calling him The Danimal  like the old Bear DL from the 80's Dan Hampton) has better evaluation, development and scheme skills to leverage the talent once its here.

DL knows what it takes to make a good defense. He has seen it happen up close and personal. I have little doubt that once he weeds out the players that can’t make it happen we will see the best D in the pack spring to life.