Charles Fischer

Big Promotions for Ken Wilson and Alex Mirabal

Both coaches have been given bigger titles to add to their resume'.  While I understand the recruiting and awards for the offensive linemen....our rushing attack is not what it was before Cristobal.  

But let's not beat a dead horse here...

Oregon Announces Promotions for LB coach Ken Wilson and OL coach Alex Mirabal by 247Sports

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

Campbell was a RB whisperer and I really don't think Mastro is.  

As a side note.... Didn't Deruyter leave Cal to be the main DC here?  I'm not sure having a Co-DC is necessary or wise for coaching longevity but to each his own.... 

18 minutes ago, Southern Duck said:

Campbell was a RB whisperer and I really don't think Mastro is.

Amen Duck-Brother!

Michael Jenkins on Twitter: "You know Oregon is relaxed because running  backs coach Gary Campbell dressed up like Grimace before the game.  http://t.co/bD0I5GmAlT"

Mr. FishDuck

21 minutes ago, Southern Duck said:

As a side note.... Didn't Deruyter leave Cal to be the main DC here?  I'm not sure having a Co-DC is necessary or wise for coaching longevity but to each his own.... 

Tim DeRuyter was the highest paid assistant at cal last year and made 400k(as a note he made 800k in 2019 but almost half of that was due to a retention bonus). He moved to Oregon because his salary is now 825k with bonuses. Add in that despite him being the play caller at CAL he wasn't the sole DC. What I mean is that CAL HC Justin Wilcox had about 10 years experience as a DC and his stamp was all over at cal. DeRuyter wanted his own thing and at Oregon Cristobal has been a lot more hands off when considering the defense compared to offense.

Last point is teams often give titles to their coaches as a way to justify giving them pay raises the next time around. You often see assistant head coaches, associate head coaches, Run game coordinators on both the defense and offense, pass game coordinators, and then the obvious OC and DC. If you look up the coaching staff right now only two coaches don't have multiple titles coach cristobal-listed only as HC and Chance-listed only as Cornerbacks coach. 

I don't think DeRuyter is upset with the Wilson Co-DC listing because it probably doesn't mean all that much...

Mastro, Big Joe, and Bobby Williams (ST coach) all got slight raises and extensions too. None of those three have been all that impressive if I'm being completely honest. Mastro is a very average recruiter in my eyes and Big Joe is only slightly more impactful at recruiting. Neither the RB's nor DL impress me from a development standpoint either (KT was a monster to start with). We saw some glimpses of the younger DL at the end of last season so perhaps I should withhold judgement.

Now Bobby Williams.... I don't see what merits him a raise. Special teams last year and really the year before that was sub-par. Those errors on ST during the Fiesta Bowl eliminated any chance we had of a comeback. Perhaps the talent is not there but kickoffs and PAT's/FG's were a struggle this year too. Not sure how much that goes on him though, or maybe we write last year's struggles off based upon the young roster. Still, I would think that the unit overall should be better especially at the end of the season (even if it's a really messed up one).