Pennsylvania Duck

Rampant Tampering, Inducing Players...Coaches Unsure Best Path Forward

Jeff Traylor was about to name names. A perpetrator from a Power Five school, the UTSA coach says, used an NIL offer hoping to persuade two of his players leave the Roadrunners. The players in question had not entered the transfer portal.

What used to be cheating is now the cost of doing business. The line between ethics and a scholarship offer are blurred so much one needs eyeglasses.

Sources tell CBS Sports that NCAA officials have stood before coaches' conventions in both football and basketball asking for help nabbing those making impermissible contact. What they get back is little cooperation.

As a personal comment, I can't believe that it is a surprise the Transfer Portal has become what it is. The NCAA doesn't have the leadership to fix it...

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

It's one thing to recruit players out of the transfer portal but quite another to do it when they are firmly on a team's roster

• Yikes! 1
  • Great post! 2

Shocked, just shocked!image.gif.b12a3ca3454b5f1f6ae2e86eb920a6bf.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/4/2023 at 5:52 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

The NCAA doesn't have the leadership to fix it...

You nailed it.  It is entirely a leadership/guts issue.

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

I don’t understand what is wrong with the portal system and trying to acquire talent from other schools

Edited by Pocketchange
I don’t want my comment taken the wrong way

On 1/4/2023 at 7:22 PM, Pocketchange said:

I don’t understand what is wrong with the portal system and trying to acquire talent from other schools

Once players are in the portal recruiting and NIL practices are fair game and the problem with tampering is related to the transfer portal only in that it enables players to move easily.

The problem with tampering is when coaches contact players from other schools looking to recruit them, this is and has been against NCAA rules as players can only be contacted (at least directly) by coaches from other programs once they are in the transfer portal. This is actively recruiting players on other teams and even bribing them with NIL offers, coaches directly talking about NIL is also technically a violation as anyone employed by a university is not supposed to coordinate NIL but every coach is doing it to some extent.

So what we have here with tampering is really an issue of players who are not in the Transfer Portal who are being contacted by coaches from other programs (violation 1) and are being given an offer of money through NIL (violation 2) to leave their program and join another program (violation 3).

If it was just contacting players who entered the transfer portal there wouldn't be a problem. Tampering has also done more of an end-around coaches directly as it has often gone through a player's former high school coaches or non-direct family members saying "hey there is an opportunity for you at X-program if you jump in the transfer portal" but what we are seeing now is brazen coaches recruiting players from other schools.

• Thumbs Up 1

The NCAA enforcing rules by sanctioning teams that tamper with players seems black and white. 

The problem is that the NIL landscape is brand new territory. Laws governing NIL start at the state level and the laws differ from state to state. 

If you sanction a team for tampering with players, and a very wealthy booster is allegedly involved, the evidence and understanding of the laws better be iron clad.

I could easily see the NCAA being challenged by a lawsuit with a legal “dream team” representing that booster.  

Money started the problem, and unfortunately, a lot of money may very well end the problem. 

• Thumbs Up 1