FishDuck Article

The Will Stein Oregon Offense: TE Power Read

FishDuck writer Eric Boles gives us today's analysis of the Coach Will Stein Offense.

FISHDUCK.COM

Now that the 2022 season has come to an end for the Oregon Ducks, we can look forward to the 2023 season, and what Coach Will Stein looks...

• Thanks 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks Coach Boles!  Always nice to have the analysis articles you contribute to the Forum. 

I agree that this is the kind of play that QB Nix is good at reading.  Learning more about Coach Stein will help make the time pass more quickly until Spring practices.

• Thumbs Up 2

I love seeing the use of the TE more. Great play and analysis of Stein's offense.

It would seem like a last option might be the QB to keep the ball and run the other way if the defense collapses on the direction of the play. This would give the qb the ability to get outside and run to the sideline, if it the defense opens up like that.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/5/2023 at 9:43 AM, Haywarduck said:

I love seeing the use of the TE more. Great play and analysis of Stein's offense.

It would seem like a last option might be the QB to keep the ball and run the other way if the defense collapses on the direction of the play. This would give the qb the ability to get outside and run to the sideline, if it the defense opens up like that.

All for getting the TE involved!

I am almost certain that there is no option for the QB to run the ball in this play. That would be a ton of first level reading to have to read a playside defender and then a backside. I’m not sure how the timing would work out on that either. 

But, you could probably run a constraint that looks exactly the same with the read being the backside, but then you’ll want to block that playside guys so your QB isn’t blasted looking the other way. 

• Thanks 1

You could use this play to set up your play side TE in the passing game. Release on the block have the TE from back side picking it up. Bang bang 7 yards.

Risk is selling it at line without getting lineman caught 4 yards down field. Also risk holding on your receiver. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/5/2023 at 11:33 AM, Log Haulin said:

You could use this play to set up your play side TE in the passing game. Release on the block have the TE from back side picking it up. Bang bang 7 yards.

Risk is selling it at line without getting lineman caught 4 yards down field. Also risk holding on your receiver. 

If you did that as a play action, there’d be nothing to worry about. But if you found a way to make it an RPO, and was able to make the timing work, you can always just have the receivers run routes instead of blocking. 

You would have to go with the more traditional Power Read blocking and read the edge guy that the TE is no longer blocking. Otherwise you have to first level playside guys unblocked. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/5/2023 at 9:07 AM, Coach Eric Boles said:

If you did that as a play action, there’d be nothing to worry about. But if you found a way to make it an RPO, and was able to make the timing work, you can always just have the receivers run routes instead of blocking. 

You would have to go with the more traditional Power Read blocking and read the edge guy that the TE is no longer blocking. Otherwise you have to first level playside guys unblocked. 

A lot of moving parts with my scenario. Pretty complex. I think Nix could pull it off. Not sure on risk reward? 

On 1/5/2023 at 9:14 AM, Log Haulin said:

A lot of moving parts with my scenario. Pretty complex. I think Nix could pull it off. Not sure on risk reward? 

Yeah, if you’re talking about an RPO, there’d be a lot going on there. Timing is the issue I run into, but I’m sure there are people smarter than I that could work it out. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Nice play. The LG can be a wrecking ball of sorts. Having an OL with a full head of steam lead blocking through the gap is not exactly what the DBs are hoping to see. 

• Thumbs Up 2

If we sign Harbor imagine him getting that pitch with the potential that play has of getting the tight end to the second level. 

I'm ready, when does next season start?

• Thumbs Up 2

Love these analysis articles, thanks Coach Boles!  I'm sure Ferguson and McCormick are licking their chops at the prospect of running this play...being able to rumble through a big gap for big yards.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Man, I love plays like this one. In my fantasy world, I have a job scheming up plays like this one with numerous options. (In this fantasy world, I've gained about 50 IQ points over my present intellectual status. 😉)

Thanks for the analysis, Coach.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/5/2023 at 2:11 PM, OhioDuck said:

If we sign Harbor imagine him getting that pitch with the potential that play has of getting the tight end to the second level. 

I'm ready, when does next season start?

He’d definitely be a problem on this play.