NJDuck

Canzano: College Football Playoff Wants to Empty Your Pockets

Why I don’t go (along with being exposed to every new flu, RSV, and Covid variant making the rounds). Add to that all the crazy fan costumes that make it difficult for those behind to see the game. Lot more enjoyable and safer to stay home. 

Edited by lownslowav8r
  • Thumbs Up 2

When I was younger, I was at pretty much every Oregon Football and Basketball game.  Now I am lucky if I hit one a year.  Time and money are a contributing factor, but not the main one.  I believe that fan experience has changed dramatically over the years.  I don't want to be one of those "it was better when I was in school" guys, but........ 

The Pit >>>> Matt 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I love live sports. I attend as many games or races as my work and personal obligations allow.

But, in the last eight years I have not been able to justify in my mind a bowl game. They just do not mean as much as they used to. PERIOD. Coaching changes, opt-outs, player dissatisfaction with the destination, these all have added to the lack of interest I have in going. I think this is one reason CFB thinks they can get away with these price tags for the championship game. It is the one after season game that all parties are all in and focused. It is the only bowl game left that truly matters.

The 12 playoff may change things for me. But, I'm going in very skeptical that it will.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm a Duck football season ticket holder.  I went to the 2001 Fiest Bowl vs Colorado and the 2014 CFP title game vs tOSU.  Both bowl games were great experiences for me.  Jerry's world said the same thing about no tailgating, but everybody was out drinking in the parking lot.  What they did do to discourage it was reduce the number of port-a potties in the parking lot.

Being a season ticket holder, I paid face value for the bowl tickets.  The ticket prices were still steep, but not over $500.  That was before the fad of opt-outs, but being at the game is being at the game.  If you like the live game experience, I don't think opt outs is going to change it.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/5/2023 at 11:00 AM, DUCati855 said:

I love live sports. I attend as many games or races as my work and personal obligations allow.

There is a level of excitement that a live crowd generates that can’t be duplicated.

The CFP has changed the Bowl landscape forever, and the interest level in attending non CFP games really comes down to location and matchup for me. 

With a12 team playoff, a team on a CFP run, with Conference Championship game, could easily cost in excess of $25,000 to $30,000/person to attend all games. Preferred seats/comfortable flights/nice accommodations. 

Assuming I had the energy and patience for that scenario(i really don’t) that would be a memorable experience if your team wins the last game ; )

On 1/5/2023 at 10:42 AM, GeotechDuck said:

When I was younger, I was at pretty much every Oregon Football and Basketball game.  Now I am lucky if I hit one a year.  Time and money are a contributing factor, but not the main one.  I believe that fan experience has changed dramatically over the years.  I don't want to be one of those "it was better when I was in school" guys, but........ 

The Pit >>>> Matt 

Yes, a million times Mac>Matt for the court design alone, please Oregon get rid of the most ugly court design in the history of basketball.  Do everyone a favor and have something where you can actually see the line on the court and not some thing that looks like an ugly shade of brown throw up.

I will admit I'm a short guy (5'6) and even I had trouble at times with my knees in some of those seats, but everything else from the band playing during every time out, not having the scoreboard constantly doing a kissing cam, or face emoji cam or something else, to the noise created, to even just the heat you would have in there.

I miss Mac Court so much, Matt Court just feels bland in comparison.  Not that you can't have a great atmosphere, I remember the big games against Arizona and UCLA that were close in feel to the Mac Court, but it still just doesn't compare imo.  

All this said I understand that it needed to be done, and Matt Court is good for what it is, still doesn't mean I don't wish we could go back in time and see the old scoreboard shake.

Football is a better experience overall, it's pretty similar to the 90s early 00s, a bit rowdy fans, but it still is good for the most part, it's basketball where I think there's been more of a dropoff.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Honestly. I can no longer afford season tickets or playoff chasing. Prior to the death of my son, I was far more likely to travel with him to a bowl site, simply because that was our main form of guy time, other than him being one of my two main fishing buddies.

My daughter and wife used to attend with me as well, but both of them have mobility issues that limit the number of games in a stadium like Autzen or an arena like Matt they can enjoy attending to a couple a year.

Good thing My grandson likes the Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 3

The market sets the price for value.....the marginal revolution comes to NCAA athletics.

Hayek and von Mises are smiling in their tombs.

On 1/5/2023 at 5:22 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:

The market sets the price for value.....the marginal revolution comes to NCAA athletics.

Hayek and von Mises are smiling in their tombs.

Hayek and Vin Mises are going to smiling a lot more when the crack up boom actually materializes (because the Fed isn't getting out of this conundrum they put us in in 1987).

And we STILL will pay market value for CFP tickets lol.