FishDuck Article

Oregon Ducks Football: My Season Takeaways

Alex Heining, FishDuck writer, gives us his take on the season.  What do you think about the  Ducks?

FISHDUCK.COM

Well, quack. Looks like Oregon Ducks football is officially in off-season mode. This was quite a season to watch. Seeing this team rise and fall...
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks Alex for another good FishDuck article!  Lots to discuss.

I always liked the effort that RB Dye gave the Ducks.  He was going to be missed.  I was pleasantly surprised by Irving and Whittington!  What a major improvement!  Coach Locklyn rocks!

I thought we would really miss Pittman.  Franklin and Hudson stepped up big time.  We also got the return of the prodigal son, Chase Cota.  Mr. Clutch!

I am very thankful that Bo Nix chose to transfer to Oregon!  He was definitely the key to a successful 10 win season.  Bo is an outstanding QB and an amazing young man.

The best surprise was the explosive offense brought by Coach Dillingham.  No more boring Mari Prevent O!

Good job of recapping the season Alex!

• Thumbs Up 1

I found it interesting that it was almost like inertia ruled the team. With good coaching putting together an offense has always been a given at Oregon. At the same time a top notch defense has seldom been easy for our program.

Once again we had an OC who became a superstar, and got a head coaching job. A qb rose to lead an offense with a strong running emphasis. Pretty much every element of the historical Oregon offense was clicking with a functional coaching staff.

On defense, even with outstanding recruiting, we still couldn't get over the hump of having a stellar defense. There were flickers of a new defense, but Lanning's footprint on the program is sill murky. What will Lanning bring to Oregon beyond what we have already had?

I suppose what will be interesting to watch is can the Oregon Football Program really become something different, or at least evolve beyond our past? Can Lanning put together a defense that is consistently as good as the Gang Green? Can the passing attack finally include NFL level talent? Will Oregon be looked upon as something other than a place where OC's come to get head coaching jobs?

The one thing I do want to see from the past is speed. I WANT TO SEE SPEED RETURN TO THE OREGON FOOTBALL PROGRAM! It is past Christmas wishing season, but all I want is speed, and a defense that has seldom been seen at Oregon! Great ponder points Alex, and that is what I came up with.

• Thumbs Up 4

It will be hard to target the CFP when we play at Utah, and at Washington.  But fun review Alex and thanks.

Mr. FishDuck

Nice article Alex.

One glaring issue for me was talent evaluation on the defensive side of the ball. No Question that MarinO recruited star power in our front seven but it obviously didn’t transfer to the field. Outside of Tibs, who wasn’t on the field as much as we would have liked, the production of that group was severely underwhelming. Not sure what happened to Noah but he seemed to regress from his freshman season, he was definitely slower.

I caught myself feeling sorry for our DBs having to defend excellent wide receivers while talented QBs stood in the pocket forever, it seemed like, picking them apart. 

My confidence is high that DL will get the players he needs, which he is already addressing, to turn this defense into one that will be bragging about in years to come.

Go🦆🦆🦆s

• Thumbs Up 1

We were projected to win 8.5 games in the preseason. While the last two losses hurt, bottom line we had a good season. We also discussed back and forth the need for relevant teams in the PAC. With our Ducks, USC, huskies, Utah and the beavs, we seem to have that going forward. It won't be an easy ride and I look forward to it already.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/6/2023 at 7:02 AM, Haywarduck said:

The one thing I do want to see from the past is speed. I WANT TO SEE SPEED RETURN TO THE OREGON FOOTBALL PROGRAM!

100% agree with this. We need the kind of speed that drops jaws. Speed that opposing teams (and their fans) have never seen. Think Devon vs WSU, Barner vs USC, LaMichael vs Tenn, or DAT vs KSU. That kind of SPEED!!!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

"They fought hard in every game and if it weren’t for a handful of mistakes that a hungry young coach like Lanning will correct, we’d probably be having a different conversation this week"

Hopefully this will be the case.

The 2022 roller coaster ride is over. The season began with the question of whether we are that bad, or is Georgia that good. 

The offensive scheme resurrected interest and excitement, which was sorely missed, at Autzen. The defense had it’s moments, they stifled Utah, and fell flat against the pups and rodents. 

Going forward, I am excited about possibilities. 

If I created a wish list I would want a few DL guys that require extra attention at all times. DT’s that need to be double teamed frees up other players. Add in DE’s with the quick twitch speed needed to set the edge, or upset the timing of passing plays, and now we are starting to cook. 

As always, I look forward to the next chapter. 

On 1/6/2023 at 6:23 AM, Smith72 said:

Thanks Alex for another good FishDuck article!  Lots to discuss.

I always liked the effort that RB Dye gave the Ducks.  He was going to be missed.  I was pleasantly surprised by Irving and Whittington!  What a major improvement!  Coach Locklyn rocks!

I thought we would really miss Pittman.  Franklin and Hudson stepped up big time.  We also got the return of the prodigal son, Chase Cota.  Mr. Clutch!

I am very thankful that Bo Nix chose to transfer to Oregon!  He was definitely the key to a successful 10 win season.  Bo is an outstanding QB and an amazing young man.

The best surprise was the explosive offense brought by Coach Dillingham.  No more boring Mari Prevent O!

Good job of recapping the season Alex!

Appreciate the feedback!

Glad you enjoyed the season. Totally agree, big-play explosions were the major change. Lots of fun ahead (hopefully) in 2023 even without Dillingham.

Thanks for a great year!

On 1/6/2023 at 7:02 AM, Haywarduck said:

I found it interesting that it was almost like inertia ruled the team. With good coaching putting together an offense has always been a given at Oregon. At the same time a top notch defense has seldom been easy for our program.

The one thing I do want to see from the past is speed. I WANT TO SEE SPEED RETURN TO THE OREGON FOOTBALL PROGRAM! It is past Christmas wishing season, but all I want is speed, and a defense that has seldom been seen at Oregon! Great ponder points Alex, and that is what I came up with.

Really like the idea of "inertia" powering the team. Momentum is a very real thing in football. 

Past needs to return with SPEED SPEED SPEED.

Thanks for a great year!

On 1/6/2023 at 7:52 AM, Charles Fischer said:

It will be hard to target the CFP when we play at Utah, and at Washington.  But fun review Alex and thanks.

Hoping for some big W's there. Can't wait.

On 1/6/2023 at 8:00 AM, Just Ducky said:

I caught myself feeling sorry for our DBs having to defend excellent wide receivers while talented QBs stood in the pocket forever, it seemed like, picking them apart. 

Go🦆🦆🦆s

Good point. Pass rush needs to win fast. DBs were strong all year long. 

Thanks for an awesome year!

On 1/6/2023 at 11:01 AM, Steven A said:

"They fought hard in every game and if it weren’t for a handful of mistakes that a hungry young coach like Lanning will correct, we’d probably be having a different conversation this week"

Hopefully this will be the case.

Let's make it happen, Lanning!