FishDuck Article

Oregon Men’s Basketball: Failure Ignites Fire

The Oregon Men’s Basketball team came back to earth Monday night in a loss to USC. From the jump, it was obvious that the Ducks didn’t come ready to play, as the Trojans jumped out to a 15-0 lead before the Ducks finally got on the board. In what was potentially the biggest game of the season so far, the ...

Read the full article here...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Alex. Coach Altman is a masterful coach. I have wondered before, and certainly do this season, about how the Ducks can effectively rebound when spread so far from the rim? During many shots, particularly 3's, there is no one or only one Duck inside near the rim. The opponent has easy inside advantage for rebounding.

Please explain to me what I'm missing and how offensive rebounding should work in Altman's offense?

As a second question, with the coming lineup of big men, how do you expect the offense to change next year and after?

Thanks.

This is what we need over the next two weeks....

Mr. FishDuck

This may be unpopular but I really believe that Richardson is a 2 guard miscast as a PG.  When you watch Pritchard, he initiates the offense.  Richardson however is best creating for himself.  Very different skill sets.  Will can shoot the 3 ball well and if isolated to that skill set and  getting "himself" to the rim, might be a far more effective player for us. 

I might put Terry and Richardson in at the same time to see how that works for a few games with Will playing the SG...   

27 minutes ago, Southern Duck said:

Will can shoot the 3 ball well and if isolated to that skill set and  getting "himself" to the rim, might be a far more effective player for us. 

This is a big problem, that really showed up in the game against USC. The big problem the Ducks have is that, Duarte, up for an award for Shooting Guards, isn't a point guard either. Before his injury, Richardson was supposed to have been the PG, but I believe his absence, for most of the season, messed that up.

I agree with your observations that the Ducks don't have an experienced player to "run" the offense, make sure the ball moves, the Trojans put on a "movement" clinic. In the end of the game wins for the Ducks this season, a lot of the points came by the D causing turnovers and creating points off of them. 

50 minutes ago, Southern Duck said:

This may be unpopular but

There has been some confusion about criticisms of the coaching and of player performance, and I've heard about it in emails.  The bottom line is that I WANT full-spectrum or unpopular views, as that is how we all learn the most.  The beauty is that on this forum...no matter your view--people still have to be nice to you!  😝  So I encourage you and everyone to share, as there is no downside and I have your back. 

It appears we lost a member recently because he wrote something snarky to a post he disagreed with.  I deleted it, and sent him an email explaining to, "give your views and your facts or reasoning and if you disagree--say so, but we do not write anything untoward against a fellow member of this forum."  He felt that because the other member was so wrong, that it justified his insulting response.  No, that is what they do on other forums, but it is not allowed here!

In our rules, No. 26, it states that....

No. 26: Do not get personal in judgments of  the Players or Coaches: We allow commenting about players and coaches as that is what message boards and forums are all about. Second-guessing coaches and judging player performance is what everyone does, but we must not get personal or nasty toward them. Questioning a play-call or whether a tackle should have been made (Performance-related) or not is fine, and give your thoughts as to why in one direction or the other.

Whether a coach should be retained or a player replaced is also fair-game because they know they are in the public sphere and that goes with the territory. Let’s discuss, but Ad Hominem attacks on them are forbidden.

So no matter what your opinion is...go-for-it, and it may just produce some lively discussion!

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

If it were me, I'd put Terry, Richardson, Duarte, Eugene and Frank out there.   Terry can get to the hoop, set up the offense and distribute, Richardson can knock down the three plus handle the ball on presses, Duarte can feed of the mismatches and create his own shot and Eugene and Frank offensively play the catfish role going for anything that doesn't go into the hoop. 

Edited by Southern Duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Southern Duck said:

If it were me, I'd put Terry, Richardson, Duarte, Eugene and Frank out there. 

giphy.gif

13 hours ago, Notalot said:

Alex. Coach Altman is a masterful coach. I have wondered before, and certainly do this season, about how the Ducks can effectively rebound when spread so far from the rim? During many shots, particularly 3's, there is no one or only one Duck inside near the rim. The opponent has easy inside advantage for rebounding.

Please explain to me what I'm missing and how offensive rebounding should work in Altman's offense?

As a second question, with the coming lineup of big men, how do you expect the offense to change next year and after?

Thanks.

Rebounding is about 90% effort, and that is no different on the offensive end. For a team that spreads it out like the Ducks do, players need to aggressively crash the boards from the outside. This can actually be more successful because it is harder to block out a player running in from the three point line than it is a player that is already under the basket. It seems that the Ducks are more focused on getting back on defense than consistently going for offensive rebounds. Whether that is a scheme choice, or an effort problem is hard to say.

For next season, with the potential big lineup, I wouldn't expect the offense to change much. The base offense for Altman teams never really change. They run set plays every once in awhile to try and exploit matchups, but I would still expect the Ducks to spread the floor. the majority of the time. Which they can do because Bittle and Lawson can step out and shoot the three. They would play in a similar role to what Boucher did when he was playing for the Ducks.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just find it difficult to believe anyone watching the Ducks play this year can think they will win more than 1 game in the March Tourney.  Their lack of size and the inability of most of their players to creat their own shots will NOT change.  I am more hopeful for next year.

• Thumbs Up 1