Pennsylvania Duck

From Transfer Portal: Arizona State LB Connor Soelle Commits to Oregon

Click to see entire posting...

• Go Ducks! 1

Former Arizona State linebacker Connor Soelle commits to Oregon

Soelle has spent the last four seasons with the Sun Devils, recording 52 tackles, a forced fumble, and a pass breakup in his career.

He was a three-star prospect, the No. 868 overall recruit in the 2019 cycle, according to the On3 Consensus.

Oregon adds ASU linebacker Connor Soelle for its 7th transfer commitment

Arizona State redshirt sophomore Connor Soelle announced Sunday evening he would transfer

to the Oregon Ducks. Soelle was on an official visit to Oregon when he made his commitment.

A backup linebacker and valuable core special teams player for the Sun Devils who previously

starred at Scottsdale Saguaro High School, Soelle has two remaining years of eligibility.

247SPORTS.COM

The Oregon Ducks have added another transfer prospect to its 2023 recruiting class. This time dipping into a fellow Pac-12...

We're seeing it happen!

FISHDUCK.COM

Dan Lanning's defense this season did not live up to his standard, and it wasn't even close. Oregon's defense couldn't get off the...

Need to get linebackers that fit what Lanning needs.

I’m honestly a little puzzled by this pickup.

Given our scholarship situation, returning players and the Iowa LB transfer, why are we taking a backup linebacker from ASU with 37 total tackles and zero sacks over 3 years? What am I missing?

A mediocre player from a bad team? I guess!

He also played special teams. We need help there.

On 1/8/2023 at 7:39 PM, OregonDucks said:

Given our scholarship situation, returning players and the Iowa LB transfer, why are we taking a backup linebacker from ASU with 37 total tackles and zero sacks over 3 years? What am I missing?

I wonder if his strength might be more on special teams. In the last article I posted, it said that he was "a backup linebacker and valuable core special teams player for the Sun Devils." I'm just guessing on this. 

On 1/8/2023 at 5:46 PM, Log Haulin said:

A mediocre player from a bad team? I guess!

Isn't that what we thought about Bo Nix when he committed? 

I'll take him over Flowe.

With all the available transfers makes one wonder if some of these guys are signing as preferred walk-ons? Anyone know if this is a possibility?

He would get gear and uniform, I think food, but no money for school.

• Great post! 1

On 1/8/2023 at 5:00 PM, ColoradoDuck said:

Isn't that what we thought about Bo Nix when he committed? 

I'll take him over Flowe.

Some did, your point is well taken. I was not in the "no Bo" camp. Hope this kid is of the same mold. It was obvious to me Bo was a Dude. Not sure on Soelle.

On 1/8/2023 at 5:02 PM, Haywarduck said:

With all the available transfers makes one wonder if some of these guys are signing as preferred walk-ons? Anyone know if this is a possibility?

He would get gear and uniform, I think food, but no money for school.

I think they could still get NIL , I think

On 1/8/2023 at 4:54 PM, Lono said:

He also played special teams. We need help there.

So use a scholarship, when we are already over the limit, on a special teams player?

Still puzzled...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/8/2023 at 4:39 PM, OregonDucks said:

Probably more of a hybrid OLB/S they want for the 4-2-5 scheme. They need players with the speed of a safety for pass coverage, or blitz packages, and stout enough to stop the run. 

• Thumbs Up 1

A bit from Arizona Sports:

"Soelle, the brother of graduating leading tackler Kyle, had 30 tackles and one pass defensed in a limited defensive role this year, mainly contributing on special teams.

Dillingham has done well in acquiring talent at linebacker, putting Soelle in a difficult position to expect legitimate playing time for 2023. Krew Jackson (Kansas State), Tate Romney (BYU) and Travion Brown (Washington State) are all Tempe bound."

A couple of things:

-He may just be NIL and not on scholarship.

-He had very high marks on Special Teams, and Oregon’s coverage units…need help.

-We are thin at linebacker, and he is the faster prototype we are moving to, as previously mentioned above.

-He is not expected to be a starter, but he was in on passing situations often for ASU.

-He helps us in two areas.

Mr. FishDuck