Pennsylvania Duck

Cam McCormick Enters Transfer Portal

Oregon tight end Cam McCormick enters transfer portal

McCormick, a veteran tight end who is set to return for his eighth collegiate season in 2023,

announced on Twitter Tuesday that he has entered the transfer portal.

He becomes the 17th Oregon player to enter the portal this offseason.

WWW.ON3.COM

Cam McCormick, who is set to return for his eighth collegiate season in 2023, announced that he has entered the transfer portal.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

McCormick, who had 10 catches for 66 yards and three touchdowns this season in his first full year without injury since...

I am very disappointed with this...you put all this time and money into a player and he leaves after this first good year?  This must be an NIL thing...

• Applause 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/10/2023 at 7:07 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I am very disappointed with this...you put all this time and money into a player and he leaves after this first good year?  This must be an NIL thing...

Unless it was not totally his idea to leave....

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

No matter what the reason (but especially if he was forced out) this is sad. Hope he finds a good home. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Agreeing with both you and Annie here... except for the NIL part.

He has every reason to be 100% loyal to Oregon (totally agreeing with Charles)... AND it seems like he got a good number of snaps last year. Since a couple of TEs have already hit the road, you would think that he would probably get snaps next year.

I doubt that another school would want him so bad as to illegally poach him AND offer him a SIGNIFICANT amount more than what he could get at Oregon.

So, what are we left with?

Hmmmm. We don't know. It's very possible that he is being unselfish and wanted to make room for DL to build the team he wants... or maybe he asked his position coach what the future held. Maybe he left because somewhere else he could get a lot more snaps and improve his NFL chances more.

I'm not going to judge the guy because we just don't know (and that's where I agree with Annie).

• Thumbs Up 5

I would have liked to see what Cam was capable of.  I guess for him it's time to move on from all of his time at Oregon. 

Ferguson is an absolute wrecking ball and the flashes from Herbert were awesome.   

That makes three TE's to transfer, McCormick, Matavao, and Tilmon.

I wonder what beasts DL has coming in!!

Also possible that he knows something we don’t and Oregon is going to get a couple of 4/5* tight ends. Just don’t have it in me to judge Cam. Too much unknown. I do hope 2023 is his best season yet (just not when playing us). 

Edited by lownslowav8r
  • Thumbs Up 4

This is interesting, as I thought new OC Will Stein is known for using TE's quite a bit.

I only wanted to post the bottom of the tweet but couldn't get it disconnected from the announcement.

Note that we have 3 scholarship TEs and working on some recruits. 

This is sad.

I have no idea, but one has to wonder, after a masters, why would you leave when you can get a doctorate. 

Is this the nature of building an SEC beating team?

Is NIL a factor? 

I dont want to believe this.

Sorry to see him leave but I can't be mad at the young man, he gave his all for the team.  Maybe Oregon doesn't offer a doctorate program in his chosen field?

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 1/10/2023 at 10:54 PM, Ktmguy2018 said:

I wonder what beasts DL has coming in!!

Could be a good sign for Duce Robinson!  DL seems to know how to keep everything hush, hush!

As with almost any player, we don't know the backstory.  Lots of speculation here (which is natural), and none/some/all of the postulated reasons could have some factual basis.  Unless he directly states the reason(s), we'll never know.

I used to get sad when a player I liked left - unfortunately now the system we have makes them essentially nameless, faceless, interchangeable parts.  Hard to get too excited about a 5* recruit when he could be gone in a year.

Good luck wherever you're going.  Next player up.

*sigh*

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Cam won over a lot of Duck fans. He showed grit with coming back from season ending injuries 3(?) years in a row. People like that.

I hope the best for him. He is no longer a Duck. It opens up room on the roster, thats probably a good thing. 

Its official, this is no longer Helfs team. 

• Mic drop 1

I don't see this as a bad thing at all. To me this is a win/win for everyone. I know as fans we get attached to players but if we're honest was he ever the answer at TE? Not bashing the young man at all. This falls into the category of an honest conversation with the coaches about the future like others are speculating and Charles wrote about. I think he is still helping the team by opening up a spot. I suspect there will be more fan favorites leaving.

As for Cam, dudes been on the team for 7 years. If he finishes out his eligibility he will have played major college football for a decade and he's got 2 degrees from a great university. That to me is a great accomplishment! I wish him the best as he goes forward in life. Once a Duck, always a Duck!

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 4

Maybe he thought he was in Eugene long enough and wanted a change of scenery. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 3:29 AM, 12Duck72 said:

Not bashing the young man at all.

* middle aged man 🙂

• Yikes! 1
  • Haha 1

I can only imagine he is, once again, doing what is best for the Ducks. He will always be one of the great role players. 

Also maybe there just weren't anymore interesting classes to take?

• Thumbs Up 4

End of an era. Good luck, Cam. Nothing but love.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Sorry to see him go, Went thru a lot of turmoil as a Duck.

Could this be a sign that Harbor is coming to Eugene?

I can also see him wanting to take the opportunity to move away from Oregon a bit and just get a chance to do other things. This is going to be 8th year of college football! He has 9 years of total eligibility. He was recruited by Mark Helfrich! I can understand him wanting to go somewhere else. 

I also wouldn't be surprised if there is some inside information about other potentially incoming tight ends who might have a higher ceiling and push him out of the rotation. 

And as you said in previous articles Charles, maybe Cam just doesn't want to work as hard as Lanning is pushing everyone. That coupled with my first point could be a very good reason for leaving. 

I like Cam, but he has 18 career receptions for 169 yards.  His line this past season 10 receptions for 66 yards.  He was the 4th TE for total yards and tied for 3 in receptions.  I think he saw his playing time being limited and wanted to go someplace else.

On 1/10/2023 at 10:13 PM, McDuck said:

Sorry to see him leave but I can't be mad at the young man, he gave his all for the team.  Maybe Oregon doesn't offer a doctorate program in his chosen field?

I think he knows NFL isn’t in his future and wants to use his eligibility to get the best doctorate he can to set himself up for the rest of his life. Smart move, frankly. He actually has 2 more years left and that takes a big chunk out of graduate school costs. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/11/2023 at 4:29 PM, Tandaian said:

His line this past season 10 receptions for 66 yards.  

And that right there, plus his extensive injury history, is why I seriously doubt someone else chased him with NIL money.  My guess is he ends up at a place like Nevada, Cal Poly, etc.  Gotta respect the work he put into rehab and getting back on the field; best of luck to him, but I understand the decision (whether he simply wanted more playing time, wanted a change of scenery, or was advised it was time to clear a scholie for someone else).

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/11/2023 at 8:23 AM, David Marsh said:

And as you said in previous articles Charles, maybe Cam just doesn't want to work as hard as Lanning is pushing everyone.

Maybe, but with all the pain he endured and the effort he gave to rehabilitate himself from multiple injuries I seriously doubt that is the case

• Thumbs Up 5

Love Cam & how he got through all his injuries & really appreciate his mother and her past involvement.

Great people and I wish him nothing but the best for whatever avenue he chooses.  I'll miss him. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

On 1/11/2023 at 8:32 AM, Nautique Duck said:

He actually has 2 more years left and that takes a big chunk out of graduate school costs.

I think this a great point. He’s likely not NFL bound and definitely not going to be an early pick so paying for his education makes good sense. Perhaps staying at Oregon was too risky given he may be forced out this year or next. 

No doubt about it, Oregon wants to be a National Championship level team and athletes that can’t play at that level are going to be forced out. This is the dark side of the transfer portal as Lanning himself mentioned. 

The idea that he doesn’t want to work hard doesn’t hold water given the effort it took for him to even play football again. How many of us “armchair quarterbacks” could have done the same?

• Thumbs Up 1

Cam is and always will be a TRUE DUCK! With the projection this roster is taking I feel he knew for the betterment of the team it was time to move on. Whether it was his decision or part of the decruitment process we have heard about is beyond me. From his wording I would say he was encouraged to move on... But, not forced to do so.

A point mentioned on other sites is that often a scholar will not want to get their Ph.D and their Masters at the same university?  I don't know anything about that, and those of you in academia or retired from it can tell us better.

And I withdraw my comment about it being about NIL; I was disappointed and hot-headed.  Not fair to slap something on him when I know no details.

This was the screensaver on my home computer....guess I have to change it!

Cam McCormick-CS.jpg

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I would also say the NFL isn't out of the question. Plenty of underused TE's have made it to the NFL from Oregon. With the heart and talent I saw, if luck is on his side from here on out, he has a chance. This is a guy who really needs more game time.

• Thumbs Up 1

You don't have to... Cam will always be a good memory.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/11/2023 at 10:12 AM, DUCati855 said:

Cam is and always will be a TRUE DUCK! With the projection this roster is taking I feel he knew for the betterment of the team it was time to move on. Whether it was his decision or part of the decruitment process we have heard about is beyond me. From his wording I would say he was encouraged to move on... But, not forced to do so.

Agree. Typically when a player moves on it is for more playing time. I don’t think Cam’s situation is any different. 

On 1/11/2023 at 11:39 AM, Jon Sousa said:

You don't have to... Cam will always be a good memory.

I have so many cool photos from the FishDuck photographers...it was time anyway.

There is an idea....provide a batch of photos for OBD members to be able to download and use as a background/screensaver on their screen?

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/11/2023 at 12:32 PM, Charles Fischer said:

There is an idea....provide a batch of photos for OBD members to be able to download and use as a background/screensaver on their screen?

Yes! A photo gallery with ONLY the best photos would be another incredible gift to this site's members. 

On 1/11/2023 at 10:16 AM, Charles Fischer said:

A point mentioned on other sites is that often a scholar will not want to get their Ph.D and their Masters at the same university?  I don't know anything about that, and those of you in academia or retired from it can tell us better.

And I withdraw my comment about it being about NIL; I was disappointed and hot-headed.  Not fair to slap something on him when I know no details.

Cam McCormick-CS.jpg

It doesn't necessarily apply to student athletes, but when my daughter was pursuing post graduate studies, she was encouraged by the University of Oregon  to seriously consider other schools for that education, despite high deans list performance on her part.

Edited by woundedknees

We will miss his blocking the most, he sprang some big runs this year.

Sometimes, your path has to take a different direction, to grow more.  I love the fact that Cam, put in the work to rehab, even after he suffered multiple injuries.  Pharaoh Brown, put in the time and work to rehab and return to the team after his terrible injury.

Andre Yruretagoyena, was an OL that got injured several times and finally medically retired.  If I recall correctly, there was an article that related, that he was tired of the rehab and reinjuries.  Some just want to move on in life and focus on other things.  You really can not blame them.  Just wish them the Best and hope they realize their dreams.

In response to Charles earlier on the photos for backgrounds (the quoting thing went really wonky on my attempt to quote and reply): Would that be something that could be an extra paid bonus potentially in order to help offset the costs of the forum? Like a Patreon support page with some cool perks like background photos, etc? Just a thought, it might even be a bad one haha.

Edited by WaterPoloDuck
Formatting went wonky for some reason.

It would still keep the forum and the website free, but would give us the option to get extras that we'd like, and support this wonderful forum as well. 🙂

• Thanks 1