Steven A

Who Needs the Pros With a 13Mil NIL?

WWW.MSN.COM

If the Jaden Rashada situation isn’t proof of how much college football has become like the pros, then nothing is.

Crazy numbers if true.

Sorry, that is fantasy, until I see the contract.  Are these kids getting crazy money absolutely, but no way I believe they are getting 13 mil as in Freshman.  1 mil is stupid in my opinion, but it isn't my money.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder how many NFL 3rd string QB's with remaining eligibility are looking at this and wondering if they should go back to playing on Saturdays?

Is $13 million true?

What specifically wasn't honored? 

Did the real money come down to about $2-$3 million?

Did Flo-Rida promise 'More' money than Me-ami' to acquire the services of Rashada and then reneged? 

Inquiring minds want to know.

Pandoras box has been opened so there is no going back. But, I would hope these kids don't go for every last penny for their college decision. For example, if their dream school is Oregon with $1.2 million in NIL and Utah comes calling with $1.5 million, can they be happy that they received enough NIL AND their 'Dream' school? 

I don't see much different from the NFL

Paid to play. NIL

Free agency. Portal

Getting cut. Derecruitment. 

How long before a states income tax rate starts factoring into an athletes choice of schools?

• Oh no! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/13/2023 at 8:05 AM, GODUCKS15 said:

Getting cut. Derecruitment. 

That is not de-recruitment, as has been described a couple of times.

FISHDUCK.COM

I read the posts on the Our Beloved Ducks forum where the question often was, "we are way over our 85 scholarship limit–how are we going to trim anywhere from...

FISHDUCK.COM

The Oregon fan base is excited about the arrival and results thus far of Head Coach Dan Lanning. Yet we know very little about him beyond the obvious résumé...

Mr. FishDuck

Gambling on a 1st round NFL qb, and a large guaranteed contract is a crap shoot. Signing a high school kid, and giving him a ton of money is playing roulette, probably Russian roulette. 

I like Oregon's direction, show you can set up a qb for success who has potential. This is the same direction we have gone with coaches and we have had great success. 

All it will take is one program having success with the big payout to a high school kid and the rest will follow them off the cliff. I hope Oregon never goes that route.

I do look forward to more transparency of what is going on, someday. For now we can only guess, and watch what is happening.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/13/2023 at 8:34 AM, McDuck said:

How long before a states income tax rate starts factoring into an athletes choice of schools?

Probably already has.

• Yikes! 1

I believe the promises of money in this range... not sure if I fully believe the payouts at the moment. 

But there are fan bases have have some rich alumni who want their program to be relevant again... looking at Florida for this one but we have also seen this with Tennessee and USC and Texas would also make that list. 

I can see a lot of these programs lacking any sense of restraint and promising loads of money but then not delivering come signing day. 

There will come a time, not sure how long, when the 'Collective' chooses to restrict funding of NIL programs due to no NC banner in the rafters. To be sure, stupid money will always follow stupid dreams. But, I'm waiting for the 3 star QB to win the Natty. When that happens you better believe that this QB NIL will come back to earth. 

On 1/13/2023 at 9:35 AM, 1Funduck said:

I'm waiting for the 3 star QB to win the Natty.

Already happened.  Stetson Bennett.

WWW.FOXSPORTS.COM

Former walk-on Stetson Bennett never gave up on his Georgia dream. Now, the QB is a national champion, Martin Rogers writes.

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/13/2023 at 9:57 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Already happened.  Stetson Bennett.

WWW.FOXSPORTS.COM

Former walk-on Stetson Bennett never gave up on his Georgia dream. Now, the QB is a national champion, Martin Rogers writes.

Well done Fish!! Thx for bringing that morsel front and center. Can we envision a beautifully laid out article of under rated HS recruits that have Captained their team to a Natty? The failings of paying too much for the HomeRun recruit when an intelligent and driven QB, a la JH, is ripe for the taking.

• Thumbs Up 1

Texas A&M is probably driving a bank truck to his house as we speak. No amount of money is off the table in East Texas. Those boys would buy Christiano Ronaldo if they thought they could kick 20 field goals a game and win.

• Haha 1

I seriously doubt that this multi-million offer is real. 

On 1/13/2023 at 10:09 AM, 1Funduck said:

Well done Fish!! Thx for bringing that morsel front and center. Can we envision a beautifully laid out article of under rated HS recruits that have Captained their team to a Natty? The failings of paying too much for the HomeRun recruit when an intelligent and driven QB, a la JH, is ripe for the taking.

Oregon had a pretty good 3-star QB recently......

Why doesn't NCAA place a limit on NILs?   This is just ridiculous.

On 1/13/2023 at 8:34 AM, McDuck said:

Great point.  Soon we will lose on that front, to WA, TX and FL...

On 1/13/2023 at 12:02 PM, DuckFan93 said:

Why doesn't NCAA place a limit on NILs?   This is just ridiculous.

Because they'll just be sued and they will lose the case as they have over and over now on this issue.  The issue is that even if we begin to get to the point where schools pay players as employees, that doesn't mean squat in regards to NIL.  You can have a salary cap in a league like the NFL, but that doesn't mean there is any cap on the amount that a player can make off of endorsements.  

So you'll still have these collectives and boosters who will bid for players by promising to get them an endorsement deal that is basically bunk, I mean does anyone think any of these players are actually providing any real value for the things they are promoting!  

I can see a $13 million offer with $.5 million true freshman year, $1 million redshirt freshman year if he sees the field, $2 million sophomore year if he becomes the starter, $4 million junior year if they make the playoffs, $6 million senior year if they win the championship... Less if benchmarks aren´t reached, more if they are exceeded.

Multiyear contract with incentives, just like the coaches... with the ability to fire if expectations aren't met, just like the coaches.

On 1/13/2023 at 1:55 PM, Jon Sousa said:

I can see a $13 million offer with $.5 million true freshman year, $1 million redshirt freshman year if he sees the field, $2 million sophomore year if he becomes the starter, $4 million junior year if they make the playoffs, $6 million senior year if they win the championship... Less if benchmarks aren´t reached, more if they are exceeded.

Multiyear contract with incentives, just like the coaches... with the ability to fire if expectations aren't met, just like the coaches.

Although many of the guidelines on NIL are set by state laws generally performance based incentives are prohibited.  'Pay to Play' is still technically against the rules.

On 1/13/2023 at 3:03 PM, McDuck said:

Although many of the guidelines on NIL are set by state laws generally performance based incentives are prohibited.  'Pay to Play' is still technically against the rules.

True indeed, but there is no contract when kids are being enticed to sign/transfer. It's just somebody's promise (hence, the article above - a promise was at least perceived, but not kept). When a big donor is promising a big deal, you don't think the big donor won't add, "...and if you stick around and do really well, there will be more... a lot more."

The whole idea behind NIL is that the athlete's name, image, and/or likeness will be worth something that the athlete should be able to cash in on. If the kid is a bust his NIL is worth nil. I am sure that any intelligent donor/employer would make that perfectly clear.

Some more smoke . . .

WWW.MSN.COM

Controversy is swirling over a $13 million NIL deal that was offered to — and later apparently reneged upon — a Florida quarterback recruit. G. Allan Taylor, who covers the Gators for The Athletic...