idontrollonshobbas

Justin Herbert Needs a New Team

Staley going full Cristobal in second half....running to eat clock, punting, missed field goal.  Joey Bosa has a ten cent head.  Melting down after 4 Jag TO's in first half. Textbook malfeasance.

Forgive me, I'm not processing this loss rationally.  And I am typing this before the last play....so even if the field goal is a shank, I stand by my opinion.

• Yikes! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 1/14/2023 at 8:29 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:

Staley going full Cristobal in second half....running to eat clock, punting, missed field goal.  Joey Bosa has a ten cent head.  Melting down after 4 Jag TO's in first half. Textbook malfeasance.

Forgive me, I'm not processing this loss rationally.  And I am typing this before the last play....so even if the field goal is a shank, I stand by my opinion

Bosa is a liability, plain and simple. He wouldn't be in a Charger uniform next season if I was the coach.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Wow.  How do you lose a game where the other team gifts you 4 INTs?  By sidelining your best player for the entire 2nd half.  Absolutely unbelievable.  There are going to be some hard questions asked of the head coach by ownership.

• Applause 2

That was just awful. Gonna put it on the coaches. 

Don't know why, but I felt a sinking feeling after the Jaguars scored near the end of the first half. Turned out the feeling was justified. 😞

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Reminds me of what MC did to Justin. Poor kid got totally freaked out in the fourth qtr. Never can figure out why you would change your defense so much after a great first half. They get wore down every time.

• Thumbs Up 2

Completely shameful.   Inexcusable.

Social Media Buzz: Justin Herbert, Los Angeles Chargers suffer heartbreaking playoff collapse

As you would expect, the epic collapse resulted in social media going crazy, and while Herbert was at

the center of it, he actually got a lot of support online, with much of the hate going to his coaching staff.

Here are some of the best reactions from the night.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Justin Herbert and the Chargers blew a 27-point lead and lost to the Jaguars in the NFL playoffs. Social media was not kind to...

I hope Herbert doesn't extend with LAC.   The franchise is not Super Bowl caliber.  They have a 5th year option they can pick up for 2025.  If the O line doesn't get him killed by then, he can refuse an extension and sign elsewhere for 2026 and beyond.

I don't speak Greek but "spanos" must translate to "snatch defeat from jaws of victory"

british GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers 

• Haha 1

Dak Prescott would look good in Charger blue. I propose a trade.

On 1/15/2023 at 3:34 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Dak Prescott would look good in Charger blue. I propose a trade.

No, No, No! I don't want Justin with the Cowboys in the NFL East against my Eagles!

• Applause 1

On 1/15/2023 at 3:57 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

No, No, No! I don't want Justin with the Cowboys in the NFL East against my Eagles!

The All-American kid needs to play for America’s Team.

If Justin went to the SeaChickens, I would actually recant my vow and become a fan of a Puget Sound franchise.

• Oh no! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Jerry’s team or sea chickens. No way.

Edited by Just Ducky
  • Salute 1

I've been a Charger fan my whole life. This collapse was no surprise to me. It seems it is in Charger DNA regardless of what city the are currently representing. I was hoping for a different outcome. But, fully expecting something like this. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Green Bay may also be thinking it’s time to change direction.

• Thumbs Up 1

Love Herbert 100%, but he wasn't as productive as he should have been in that game either.   Lawrence looked so much better in the 2nd half than Herbert did all game.   I wish he had been more crutched and really carried the team over the hump.   But alas, we will have to wait another year yet again.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/16/2023 at 2:06 PM, DuckFan93 said:

Love Herbert 100%, but he wasn't as productive as he should have been in that game either.   Lawrence looked so much better in the 2nd half than Herbert did all game.   I wish he had been more crutched and really carried the team over the hump.   But alas, we will have to wait another year yet again.

Herbert’s o-line didn’t give him much protection.  He didn’t have time to get set up.  He also didn’t have Mike Williams.  Also, Herbs doesn’t have the escapability of a Kyle Murray or Mahomes.

On 1/16/2023 at 3:42 PM, Duckdude said:

Herbert’s o-line didn’t give him much protection.  He didn’t have time to get set up.  He also didn’t have Mike Williams.  Also, Herbs doesn’t have the escapability of a Kyle Murray or Mahomes.

The 1st round draft pick Left Tackle was injured all year.   They put the starting LG out to tackle and he played pretty well much of the season....I think he went down in the 2nd quarter.

And, on defense, they lost Bosa and a starting CB int he second half.  The second string CB was a rookie, I believe.

But, all they needed was another first down to hold them off, and two more first downs to seal it away.  The play calling was conservative.  Earlier in the year, Staley channeled Mark Helfrich with predictable 4th down and 2 pt conversions play calls.....only to become Cristobal in the playoff game.

Breaking: Chargers Fired Multiple Coaches Tuesday Morning

Assistants are being let go, but Staley is staying! Big mistake IMHO.

WWW.MSN.COM

After blowing a 27-0 lead to the Jaguars in the playoffs, the Chargers have decided to make major changes to their coaching...

Yeah, I think they are putting a Band-Aid over a huge open wound.  I think Staley isn't the guy.  However, as one of my buddies asked, who do you want to replace him?

On 1/17/2023 at 12:02 PM, Tandaian said:

However, as one of my buddies asked, who do you want to replace him?

Sean Payton would be great. However, this morning I ran across this article that the Chargers are rather cheap when it comes to hiring head coaches.  Staley, Anthony Lynn and Mike McCoy — all had no prior head coaching experience in the NFL. That made them inexpensive options.

Staley reportedly makes around $4 million per year, which easily ranks in the bottom half of the league. He is in the second season of a four-year contract. 

LARRYBROWNSPORTS.COM

Sean Payton is viewed as the most logical replacement for Brandon Staley should the Los Angeles Chargers decide to move...

Charger's front office meeting went something like this:

Spanos: "Our defense sucks!"

Telesco: "I may be able to find some new offensive coaches."

Spanos: "Does that help our defense?"

Telesco: "No. But no one wants to coach our defense."

Spanos: "That's true. Let's try it! We have to do something... I'm tired of being the laughing stock of the NFL."

This is why Justin needs a new franchise come 2025.....Spanos and LAC are not Championship focused, they are bottom-line focused exclusively.

Mad Men Not Great Bob GIF

Well, the leading players all spoke up in support of Staley, and for a cheap owner that was enough cover to keep Staley. 

Staley is doing something right even if it isn’t running the offense, otherwise the players would have remained silent. 

Edited by lownslowav8r

On 1/17/2023 at 5:45 PM, lownslowav8r said:

Well, the leading players all spoke up in support of Staley, and for a cheap owner that was enough cover to keep Staley. 

Staley is doing something right even if it isn’t running the offense, otherwise the players would have remained silent. 

Yeah, and the players supported Cristobal at Oregon. Oh well, if Justin is happy--that's good for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

And there it is… Lombardi is gone. 

Thank goodness!!

BOLTBEAT.COM

The LA Chargers finally listened to the fans, firing offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi.

It’s Herbert, so it isn’t salacious, but he is good at recognizing people, and there was one person who was glaringly missing from his vote of confidence. 

BOLTBEAT.COM

The LA Chargers should make some kind of coaching change before the 2023 season and it might be at offensive...

• Thumbs Up 1

Interesting items from Football Scoop this morning.

A Chargers: Former Cowboys offensive coordinator Kellen Moore is expected to speak with the Chargers for their offensive coordinator opening, per Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero.

Dallas Cowboys: Kellen Moore will not return as offensive coordinator. His replacement is already in the building.

Chargers hiring Kellen Moore as their new OC

At the outset of the search for a new offensive coordinator, coach Brandon Staley said he would look for leadership and a system that resembled the ones deployed by Los Angeles Rams coach Sean McVay and San Francisco 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan.

WWW.ESPN.COM

The Chargers are hiring Kellen Moore as their new offensive coordinator.

Nice OC upgrade... Now go get some D!

That's a nice OC pick up and should benefit Justin's development.  Unfortunately that doesn't address the porous OL and bad defense.  Until those are fixed Justin's going to continue to get beat up every year...