Charles Fischer

How Stunned Are You at Mens Basketball Turnaround?

I recorded it, and when I learned they won--watched it last night and could hardly believe it. If the injured players has not been--I can't imagine what this team could have achieved this season.  They can still make the Tournament, but darn near have to win out from here.

Cousinard is as advertised, and more. And I still don't understand why Soares started and was allowed to play at all.  The team has a ton of upside, but I think Dana misses his long-term assistants more than even he realized at first.

Well, that and the constantly changing roster....thoughts?

Jermaine Couisnard

2023-01-14_MB_OR.vs.AZ_02929_EE.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

After the ASU game, I was preparing to post the obituary for this season with a positive nod toward next season and the incoming recruits.  I am especially psyched about Shelstad's skill set and leadership that I feel has been lacking since PP laced up for the Celts.

But then I remembered that Dana Altman is a Witch/Wizard/Warlock and thought to myself "They'll probably go out and beat the Wildcats next game" so I held back.  

Dana Strikes Again

• Thumbs Up 2

It was a great win, I am happy that the team got to experience it, but with respect a turnaround would be a winning streak of more than just one game, last week they basically did the exact same thing, get embarrassed in one game and then bounce back, I'll start to believe if we can actually win 4 in a row.

Cousinard is a good player, he helps the team a lot, but the team needs to be consistent now, not go Jekyll and Hyde every week.  Cal and Stanford are not good teams, they have to sweep them.  If we don't, then it's just more of the same from this group.  Charles, I appreciate you being optimistic and trying to back the team, but I have to see it over more than just one game at home.

With all that said, Cousinard really did provide what has been missing all year, if he can maintain that then we will be better the rest of the way.  His numbers in the past say he isn't that type of shooter, but he is a scorer, so it does help Richardson a ton to have someone who can help him in the backcourt.

I think the point about Dana's assistants is a good one, I've wondered about that, he had the same staff for a good while, there can be some adjustment with that,  

Edited by spartan2785
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I was stunned, too, Mr. Fishduck!  After ASU, I expected a non-competitive loss v. UA.  Very pleasantly surprised to be wrong(again!).  Dante and Cousinard were awesome—-top-level Div 1 basketball players, which we sorely need.  IMHO, Richardson is much more effective as a distributor, and a supportive….rather than primary…..scoring threat.

• Thumbs Up 2

It’s not easy being forced into the role of a bi-polar fan

• Salute 1
  • Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1

On 1/15/2023 at 10:53 AM, spartan2785 said:

but with respect a turnaround would be a winning streak of more than just one game

I agree.  We need to see nothing but sweeps at home and on the road vs WA, Bay Area at OSU and at least splits with AZ and SoCal teams.

Waiting to see if the glass is half full, half empty or broken.

I'll need to see the completion, or near completion of that feat before I'm able to jump BACK on the turnaround bus. I took it for a ride right before the Colorado game, only to see a total stinker laid in Boulder. Granted, Oregon has had trouble in Boulder just as Arizona has had trouble in Eugene.

The team played GREAT against the Wildcats. Unquestionably the best game of the year.  We got EXACTLY what we need from Richardson. 14 points, a few rebounds, an assist or four and relative anonymity.  When we've had to rely on Richardson to be our super-star is when we've fallen the flattest. He's just not that guy-no disrespect to Will, he never wanted the job-and it finally appears that Dana will be able to play around that crutch.

It's still a "one step at a time" situation. The first step will be to beat two teams they should beat in Cal and Stanford.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I really do think Altman misses some of the assistant coaches he's had in the past.  But not having a player that is the "alpha dog" (think Dillon Brooks, or Payton Pritchard) out there, keeping everyone else accountable and setting the tone, really hurts as well . . . nor is there a "coach on the floor" kind of guy.  And I agree with SmithRiverD, Will Richardson is a good player, but he is no alpha.

This team has been sooooo bipolar . . . their big swings from good to bad, and back to good again are crazy . . . so much inconsistency.  A lot of it is lack of player leadership and accountability, some of it is the effect of a ton of injuries and limited time to gel together, and some of it has been periods of poor effort.

Cousinard brings some maturity and skill that has been lacking, and an attacking, winning attitude . . . he is older and more experienced than most.  And Dante looked like a man possessed out there against the Wildcats; it looked like a switch got flipped and the light came on! 

Perhaps these guys can set the tone for now, and push the others to greater heights and more consistent effort game in and game out.  As a fan, that would be much more fun to watch . . . 

• Thumbs Up 4

I actually respect Richardson for what he's done this year, he's put in an effort, he's done what he can, but it's true he's not a natural leader.  He's really tried to change that, he's actually tried to take over games, he's just not that type of player, and he's had ZERO help from his fellow guards/wings until the other day. 

Dante has been a beast all year, it's been a two man team essentially until the Zona game, Guerrier has been a huge disappointment, we desperately needed him to be a consistent 3rd scorer and it's just hasn't worked out.  I think they also expected Ware to be more of a force, but he's just fizzled out after a few good games early.  

This has been a really disappointing year, in general I've enjoyed Duck basketball both men's and women's more than football since generally they've had such an upward trajectory each year, they get better over time, which in general has not been the case with football, plus I like that you don't essentially feel like the season is over after one loss, so this has been tough to see us so poor most of the year and not even that fun to watch. 

I think our best hope is to grow until the conference tourney and then win it there, we've generally been the best tourney team in the Pac-12, and I could actually see us winning there, we won't win enough games or big games to get in as an at large, so the best hope is to build towards Vegas and go ball out.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 1:40 AM, spartan2785 said:

I think they also expected Ware to be more of a force, but he's just fizzled out after a few good games early.  

I think our best hope is to grow until the conference tourney and then win it there, we've generally been the best tourney team in the Pac-12, and I could actually see us winning there, we won't win enough games or big games to get in as an at large, so the best hope is to build towards Vegas and go ball out.

Ware is really young and raw . . . he is still growing into his body, but you can see the talent is there.  He has such a nice touch, a soft shot.  He is getting bullied by older, thicker, more experienced players at times, especially when he's on D or trying to board.  Don't count him out . . . he still has the potential of being a dominant big man after putting a little more beef on his frame, and with some more coaching and mileage/experience.

And unless this team goes on a big winning streak, they are not making the Big Dance . . . they could win the Pac 12 tournament, but that would be very unlikely (I think there is a pathway for them to finish the regular season at 20-11 or 19-12, and be inside/on the bubble . . . but that means only 3 or 4 more losses, and that's a very tall order.  They would have to become WAYYYY more consistent with their effort and execution than they have been so far . . . but with Altman, you just never know! ).

On 1/16/2023 at 7:03 PM, GangGreen2 said:

Ware is really young and raw . . . he is still growing into his body, but you can see the talent is there.  He has such a nice touch, a soft shot.  He is getting bullied by older, thicker, more experienced players at times, especially when he's on D or trying to board.  Don't count him out . . . he still has the potential of being a dominant big man after putting a little more beef on his frame, and with some more coaching and mileage/experience.

I'm not counting him out, but I really hope he doesn't transfer out since he hasn't had the impact I'm sure himself and those around him thought he would.  He has talent, it's obvious to see, you just hope he doesn't get discouraged.  I'm being a bit unfair on him and Bittle I admit.  I'm just tired of seeing these 5 stars have so little impact on the team.  

I really could see the team win the tourney, it happens all the time in various conferences where a team get hot, key is to try and avoid the first round which is still doable.  It's very unlikely, but I might as well have a bit of hope.

Ken Pomroy rankings for Pac 12 teams and (ESPN BPI rankings)

There are 32 automatic bids.  Approximately 20 bids would be to teams below 68.  So, if you aren't in the top 48, you need to be worried about getting a bid.

#3 UCLA               (3)

#20 Arizona          (18)

#48 Colorado        (75)

#54 ASU               (50)

#56 USC               (67)

#64 WSU              (64)

#65 Oregon           (55)

#66 Utah               (72)

#106 Washington  (119)

#112 Stanford       (93)

#203 Cal               (230)

#223 OSU             (234)

Remaining schedule:

@ Cal                 W

@ Stanford         W

Colorado             W

Utah                    W

@ Arizona           L

@ ASU               W

USC                   W

UCLA                 L

@ Washington    W

@ WSU              L

@ OSU              W

Cal                     W

Stanford             W

I think we have to go 10-3 the rest of the way, to be on solid ground to make the tournament.  We can't lose to Cal, Stanford, UW or OSU.  If we lose more than 3, then we will have to win at least 1 Pac 12 game, if not 2.

Once again those two Quadrant 3 losses are going to be very difficult to overcome.  If they can go 10-3 the rest of the way, as the poster above noted, they may have a chance.

However, this is a very poor shooting team and it is going to very, very difficult to accomplish that.  Cuisnard was the hero against UA, but he is a career sub 40% shooter.  Shots are probably not going to fall for him like that every night.   

Edited by GeotechDuck

Probably are going to need to get a big win against UCLA, right now our only real quality win against Zona, we'll probably need at least one more, Pac-12 is weak this year (it usually is unfortunately).  

Even then with the weakness of the conference we'll also need to win a game or two in the tourney.  Just too big of a hole to climb out of.  I just want to see us get better and play with good intensity the rest of the way.

• Thumbs Up 1