Pennsylvania Duck

Tulane DC Chris Hampton Leaving for Position Coaching Job at Oregon

Poaching poachers going to poach😀

Report: Ducks to hire Tulane DC Chris Hampton as replacement for Matt Powledge

The Oregon Ducks have been looking to fill a role on the defensive coaching staff for the past several weeks after former safeties coach and co-defensive coordinator left to take over as the defensive coordinator for the Baylor Bears.

Hampton spent six seasons at Tulane, with the last two coming in the role of defensive coordinator.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Ducks are set to hire Tulane’s defensive coordinator Chris Hampton per a report from ESPN’s Pete Thamel.

FOOTBALLSCOOP.COM

Sources confirm Dan Lanning is adding Tulane defensive coordinator Chris Hampton to the staff.

5 things to know about Oregon's newest defensive coach Chris Hampton

While Chris Hampton may have been a relatively off-the-radar name for Oregon fans, it is an

impressive hire and one that will likely be looked at with a lot of success down the road.

Here are some things that you need to know about Hampton and what he brings to the Ducks:

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Get to know Chris Hampton, a former South Carolina safety who coached some impressive defensive backfields at Tulane over...

As a lifelong Tulane fan, I could not be more thrilled w this hire. 

If any of you saw the way Tulane shut down U$C in the 4th qtr of the Cotton Bowl, you would be too. 

I can’t wait to hear Riley’s whining. 

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 6

REPORT: Oregon makes hire to defensive staff

Dan Lanning and the Oregon football program have found their man to fill out the on-field coaching staff and the hire comes from one of the nation's best teams this year.

Tulane's defense this season ranked 23rd in the country in yards allowed per game at 4.99, finished 32nd in the country in points allowed at 22.2 per game, and the Green Wave allowed an impressive 43 total plays of 20 or more yards this season and ranked 11th in the country.

247SPORTS.COM

Dan Lanning and the Oregon football program have found their man to fill out the on-field coaching staff and the hire comes from...

• Applause 2

WATCH Tulane Football: Get to Know Coach Hampton

This video was made 6 years ago when he came to Tulane. It still gives you an idea of his coaching style.

• Like 1

You gotta love someone who has beaten USC already!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/16/2023 at 8:06 AM, Charles Fischer said:

You gotta love someone who has beaten USC already!

Especially as the defensive coordinator! 

His career and expertise in passing defense will be appreciated.  This in my humble opinion has been a Duck weakness since Aliotti left Oregon.

Welcome to Oregon Coach Hampton!

• Thumbs Up 2

Stop poaching from Tulane or ND, for crying out loud... 😀  Those are the only two teams I root for besides OBD, since my daughters go there!

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Coach Hampton sounds great from everything I have read.

I guess I  don't understand why a guy that is a coordinator at one school would leave to be a position coach at another. I would guess its money but I am not crazy about that if it isn't a lot of money.

It just seems that if he was a great coordinator he would at least move to a coordinators job.

On 1/16/2023 at 3:55 PM, TerryM9 said:

It just seems that if he was a great coordinator he would at least move to a coordinators job.

Who is to say that Lanning didn't forecast the future for Coach Hampton. If we weren't overly impressed with this years defense... Do you think DL was?

On 1/16/2023 at 4:00 PM, DUCati855 said:

Who is to say that Lanning didn't forecast the future for Coach Hampton. If we weren't overly impressed with this years defense... Do you think DL was?

My thoughts exactly.  If Lupoi doesn't work out, DL may already be lining up his replacement.

• Thanks 1

Coach Hampton sounds great from everything I have read.

I guess I  don't understand why a guy that is a coordinator at one school would leave to be a position coach at another. I would guess its money but I am not crazy about that if it isn't a lot of money.

He's going from a G5 school to a P5 school... For the time being the pac-12 is still in that upper tier of schools. 

Pay is one thing that would be better but the other thing is that he gets more attention and becomes a high profile coach. If he wants to be a head coach some day then this is a step in that direction.

DL has history w Hampton. 

The AAC is just not on the same scale as the Pac. 

And it’s possible he comes in as a “co-“ coordinator.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/16/2023 at 8:49 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

And it’s possible he comes in as a “co-“ coordinator.

• Thanks 1

If I were Tosh Lupoi, I would be getting a strong message from this hire. 

• Thumbs Up 2