FishDuck Article

Has Cincinnati and TCU Proven the Path for Oregon?

CHARLES FISCHER, MR. FISHDUCK, shares his thoughts on the path to the National Championship.

FISHDUCK.COM

There have not been underdog teams in the BCS/CFB Playoff very often, as the two or four team playoff has been dominated by the usual...

• Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Solid article Charles that lays out the recipe for annual trips to the CFP.

Staying in the PAC and scheduling are critical components to staying unbeaten or at worst a one loss conference champion. However, without the PAC expanding, the Ducks will have Utah and a trip to the desert every year. Sometimes as U dumb dub discovered the road is easier when you dont have road trips to Utah and usc on your schedule. Expansion to 12 or 16 would create a much needed rotation schedule. Georgia's road would be more difficult if Bama and LSU were on their schedule every year.

Stacking Top 10 recruiting classes, year after year is truly a key component to annual CFP visits. Coach Lanning and staff are talented enough to get that done.

Recruiting and developing the players to the scheme is perhaps the key. The 4-2-5 defense works when you are sending your edge rusher, inside space eater and 1 linebacker to the NFL in the first round. Can DL and staff recruit multiple 5 star players for the front 6, annually?

Someone has to get penetration and pressure the QB. Linebackers have to run down a scrambling QB. And for goodness sakes someone has to hold the edge. Sometimes your offense gets throttled (TCU) and your defense must win the game.

Georgia, Bama and tOSU field 10 plus 5 stars on both sides of the ball most years. Can DL bring that many top players to Eugene? Can we move from 66 Blue Chippers on the roster to 75 plus? IMHO, yes he can...

Can DL and staff develope that talent into a elite unit that wins a Natty? I think so but time will tell.

Charles, have you become a Gen X or Z?

"but simply knowing that the ‘Natty is that much more attainable helps this ol’ greybeard-age fan retain his passion for college football."

Remember when a bowl game possibility helped that ol' greybeard retain his passion, or have the IPAs drowned out that memory?

But I digress, the downside of the new 12 team format will cause any non-playoff year in the new Pac to be a disappointment as falling to the "participation bowl" will surely be a letdown.

On 1/16/2023 at 7:35 AM, Steven A said:

Charles, have you become a Gen X or Z?

"but simply knowing that the ‘Natty is that much more attainable helps this ol’ greybeard-age fan retain his passion for college football."

Remember when a bowl game possibility helped that ol' greybeard retain his passion, or have the IPAs drowned out that memory?

But I digress, the downside of the new 12 team format will cause any non-playoff year in the new Pac to be a disappointment as falling to the "participation bowl" will surely be a letdown.

You made me laugh, as it would take quite a number of IPAs to do that, although I may not have been far off after the Washington game.

I think you make a great point about the "let-down" of other bowls, but I suspect teams will still participate and fans will still watch. With the new Playoff, the Pac-12 and Dan Lanning, Oregon is...

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

Agree about getting to the playoffs, but winning it will take depth, development, recruiting, and scheme. The depth is where the Championship is won. TCU couldn't even stop the 3rd string RB for Georgia. 

At this point getting to the playoffs isn't a goal I want to see the program aim for. The program needs to aim for winning it and threatening to win every year. 

I think this is where the portal will be the difference maker. Any spot we have weakness we can bring in a transfer. I have a feeling Lanning is also striving for depth and knows this will make the ultimate difference.