30Duck

Cristobal Is The Best Head Coach In The Pac-12, and Moorhead is The Best OC

Yes, Cristobal has won the conference championship two years in a row, and is the favorite to make it 3. But that doesn't necessarily make him the best coach. this article from westcoastcfb.com explains what does, and why Moorhead is the best OC

See the source image

I say that he has the potential to be one of the best in the country. Is he the best in the pac 12....he might be but the competition is not really tough. Helton is a dunce. Shaw is OK but his hands are tied with the Stanford academic requirements. Lake is untested. Kelly is a guy with his way of doing things. That guy at Az St is OK. 

He needs to win a playoff game and get to the point his game coaching can stand with the best. Unfortunately its tough to see him staying long after that. 

Jonathan Smith should be higher on that list. Simply put he is doing a lot with the little he has to work with and every years seems to be an improvement. It will take time to get Oregon State back to where it was before Riley left but with Smith in charge they will get there. 

Herm Edwards should be a bit lower as there is still a whole lot of hype around him. ASU recruiting has basically matched where it was when Graham was head coach and they are winning about as much as well. 

Jimmy Lake is too high also... Should be below Smith. Washington may have "won the North" but they didn't play the deciding game for the north against Oregon. Also Washington avoided any away games last year. Traveling is one of the hardest things to do in college football and Lake simply hasn't done it yet. 

Cristobal is currently the coach to beat and let's hope it stays that way. 

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, David Marsh said:

Jimmy Lake is too high also... Should be below Smith.

Absolutely, and when the Beavs finish ahead of the Mutts next season he will be.

I wonder if the better question is who's the best CFO for their team as a head coach and who has the best coordinators to get their vision accomplished?  I.E. Nick Saban

Lake took over for the guy that turned the program around, and gets credit for coasting through one season at home, no higher then 10 until he does something more than last season. J. Smith took over a train wreck and is given little credit for what he has done, at least 6. Putting Helton where he is for hanging on is also a joke, maybe 9.

I think Chip Kelly is a hell of a coach, but he too is a coach who took over a well seasoned machine and leveraged the program in place when he was at Oregon. Since then his flaws have come out and rating him this high is also a joke, maybe 8.

I do think Wilcox is proving he knows how to run a complete program. Shaw and Whittingham deserve their spots. Dorrell seems like a miracle worker, but we will see longterm. 

So the north has 4 pretty good coaches, while the south has one guy who knows how to run a complete program, Whittingham. Maybe Dorrell will give him a run, but more likely Herm will put something together. The big item is Oregon needs to live up to it's recent history and recruiting prowess or our coach should drop like a rock in the standings.

Another interesting item is Lake and Helton would seem to be the only guys who can really find themselves on the hot seat after next season. Most of these guys will be given the benefit of the doubt. We can hope Helton hangs on again, and Lake is given another shot to keep pushing to break the 12 straight loss record against our Beloved Ducks

This rating system is all wrong. It looks to be based on what the coach has done over their lifetime rather then what they can do in the 2021/2022 season as the title would suggest. 

David Shaw was once great but what's he done in the last 3 years ??  Not much and with his recruiting classes as they are what is he going to do in the 2021/2022 season - - - not much. He does not deserve #3. 

Again Chip Kelly was once great but what's he done in the last 3 years ??  Not much. He's living on his history and as the writer points out, this season is "pivotal" for Chip to keep his position. He does not deserve #5

Clay Helton has taken a team that he helped to put in the gutter and brought them out to be competing for the Pac-12 title. Now that is doing something. He also is recruiting very well. He deserves to be above Shaw and Chip. 

3 hours ago, Southern Duck said:

I wonder if the better question is who's the best CFO for their team as a head coach and who has the best coordinators to get their vision accomplished?  I.E. Nick Saban

You are so right about this Southern Duck. Except Nick Sabin is not in the Pac-12. (Darn)

7 hours ago, David Marsh said:

Jonathan Smith should be higher on that list. Simply put he is doing a lot with the little he has to work with and every years seems to be an improvement. It will take time to get Oregon State back to where it was before Riley left but with Smith in charge they will get there. 

I think JS is one of the very best coaches in the PAC. I TOTALLY agree with you here.

Lake will take UW down, his ego and whatever else behind the scenes that went on to Petersen walking away, should have been HUGE RED FLAGS to the nation that the powers that be at UW aren't the right ones making the decisions. 

Smith is a smooth operator,  he knows that he can't out recruit Oregon  or for that matter most schools in the PAC + they  don't have the funds. That said, he's been given  a get out of jail free card with the transfer portal and that might just make up for their recruiting woes.  I worry that Butterfield might end up there as their next Mr. Anderson.  The Beavs are getting their 4 star recruits just a year or two late.  They have D lineman from the SEC on their team now.  Guys Oregon have  never been able to get.  Note to Mario.... "raid the SEC for 2nd string d lineman!"

Helton to me at USC isn't the problem.  Their recruiting is top notch and has been for decades, it's their strike a pose, selfie, follow me on Instagram, how many likes do I have, super soft culture that now makes up the Trojan Mantra.  It's not "IF" USC will implode on the football field, it's "WHEN"!   The entire philosophy of USC needs to be stripped down to the original foundation and built again.  Otherwise.... 3-4 losses a year should be expected. 

UCLA isn't Oregon and Chip is a long way away from his lab in Eugene that Uncle Phil protected him in to work!  The problem is Chip loves the offense but defense just isn't his thing.  How do you know this.... Chip recreated his Oregon D at UCLA with almost the same staff...  Guess what?  They are still just treading water.  No real D and UCLA will never be relevant. 

Shaw to me at Stanford is almost over.  He's a great coach but he needs EPIC talent to compete and Stanford doesn't give him that chance.  I see David going to the pros soon, he'd be great there. 

Yet to be determined in my humble opinion.  Unless and until MC lets his OC run the offense and he acutally wins a playoff game or two, the the answer is a resounding NOT YET in my book.

Bounce No GIF

1 hour ago, nogerO said:

Yet to be determined in my humble opinion.  Unless and until MC lets his OC run the offense and he acutally wins a playoff game or two, the the answer is a resounding NOT YET in my book.

Bounce No GIF

Spot on. 

• Like 1