Pennsylvania Duck

Report: OL Coach Adrian Klemm to Interview for OC Job with New England Patriots

One of the biggest worries that Oregon Duck football fans have had over the past year is

the prospect of losing offensive line coach Adrian Klemm to another school in college football.

Now a bigger worry might have popped up...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

It looks like Oregon OL coach Adrian Klemm is going to interview with the New England Patriots for their OC job.
  • Oh no! 3

That would be a HUGH ouch.  All the O-line recruits rave about Klemm.

Maybe I just want to be optimistic, but jumping from an offensive line coach to an offensive coordinator in the NFL seems improbable. Does he have any experience as an offensive coordinator at the college level?

• Thumbs Up 1

Everything I'm reading sounds like the Patriots are going all out for Bill O'Brien. He and Belichick are close and it sounds like the interest is mutual.

I don't mean this to sound insensitive but the Rooney Rule applies to offensive coordinators as well as head coaching searches.

On 1/18/2023 at 2:03 PM, CountryProf said:

Maybe I just want to be optimistic, but jumping from an offensive line coach to an offensive coordinator in the NFL seems improbable. Does he have any experience as an offensive coordinator at the college level?

Nope. Associate HC and run game coordinator are the highest positions Klemm has had so far.

• Thanks 1

Maybe not related but his son is leaving Sheldon High School to play in Southern California.😞  Not happy in Eugene?

To me this would be a much bigger blow that Dilly leaving. Klemm is a good recruiter.

His only P5 scholarship offers at the moment are from the Ducks and ASU.  He also has offers from Campbell, Colorado St. and Florida A&M.  His profile has already been updated to the new high school.  I wonder if he made the decision a long time ago.

On 1/18/2023 at 3:00 PM, McDuck said:

Maybe not related but his son is leaving Sheldon High School to play in Southern California.😞  Not happy in Eugene?

This actually makes a lot of sense.  Sheldon is a pretty decent football school for Oregon but it's a public school and it's in Oregon which puts it off the national recruiting radar.  The best players in the country tend to go to prep-schools (sleep away private schools with underage semi-pro teams) to play against the best talent to highlight their individual talents for recruiters. 

Klemm wants his son to have the best chances to get to the NFL and that means he needs to significantly increase his recruiting profile. I doubt Klemm would encourage his son to play at Oregon just to keep him close.  He's going to want him to be recruited by the best schools possible.

Edited by Duck Fan 76
  • Go Ducks! 1

On 1/18/2023 at 1:53 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

One of the biggest worries that Oregon Duck football fans have had over the past year is

the prospect of losing offensive line coach Adrian Klemm to another school in college football.

Now a bigger worry might have popped up...

This is concerning for sure... hopefully Oregon's new coaching contracts will take some of the pressure away but it's only a matter of time before we lose Klemm.  Good programs have coaching turnover...  if we're lucky we keep DL in the seat and the vision remains constant but we're going to constantly lose coordinators and position coaches.

On 1/19/2023 at 9:14 AM, Duck Fan 76 said:

This is concerning for sure... hopefully Oregon's new coaching contracts will take some of the pressure away but it's only a matter of time before we lose Klemm.  Good programs have coaching turnover...  if we're lucky we keep DL in the seat and the vision remains constant but we're going to constantly lose coordinators and position coaches.

Yep.  DL has assembled an all-star coaching staff and they're always going to be desireable to other programs and as in this case the NFL.

I crave the longevity of the Bellotti/Kelly coaching staff but that's probably not happening ever again with the new world order in college football.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 1/19/2023 at 5:14 PM, Duck Fan 76 said:

...it's only a matter of time before we lose Klemm.  Good programs have coaching turnover...  if we're lucky we keep DL in the seat and the vision remains constant but we're going to constantly lose coordinators and position coaches.

Exactly.  If not this year, then next year or a couple of years down the road, but we can figure we'll have a variety of DCs, OCs, and various position coaches as long as Oregon is a top program.  Already lost Dillingham and Powlege after just one year.

Klemm played for Belicheat, and the Patriots are known to do some unorthodox things, so it wouldn't shock me to see him hired even though he's never been an OC anywhere.  It often seems that they value loyalty and knowledge of "the Patriot way" more than specific experience.

We'll see.

Rooney rule which is disgusting to do to these guys... knowing they wont hire them