Duck Fan 76

From 5-Star Recruits to the Pro-Bowl? Maybe if You Play Defense...

We've been having this discussion on and off the forum for a long time.  This article from the Athletic directly addresses the core of the recruiting stars question.  I thought it had some great comments by those most in the know. 

BLUF: Defense is about athletes and Offense is about scheme... so recruiting great defenses is usually harder than great offenses.  The BLUR at Oregon highlighted that as Chip didn't have the talent that last years roster had but he certainly found success by putting defenses into uncomfortable positions. 

To see real improvement at defense, Oregon is going to have to put some serious work in on recruiting and development and that will take time.  The good news is Oregon has the ability to pull talent in, can we get enough for a top tier defense to get the Natty?

THEATHLETIC.COM

On this year’s NFLPA All-Pro Team, the average CFB recruiting ranking of offensive players was 2.0. For defense, 4.5. Why?

• Thumbs Up 2

I also think Covid made it hard to evaluate some classes due to lack of games and camps.  Most of those Oregon players are now gone since they were overrated. 

Rating services are serve to make money and hype, not that a 5 star "isn't good".

Also, rating kids at 15/16 in North American pro sports is not a guarantee of anything but how good the kid is at the time. Lots of kids hit their ceiling at 15/16 and don't grow. They you get 2 stars that barely shave that mature at 20/21 and end up Van Der Eche or Josh Allen (if he had early talent, he would have been at one of the big 4 or 5). 

I would rather be a 2 star with a high ceiling and a chip on my shoulder.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I read that article this morning. It was a good one. 

What I got out of it was the idea that the best athletes--the flat-out all-around physical freaks--typically end up on defense. The guys who aren't quite as athletic will often be switched to offense at some point. From there, the ones who make it to the top are typically guys who are cerebral and/or have an incredibly strong work ethic. They mention guys like the Kelce brothers, Josh Jacobs, and Davante Adams--guys who weren't 5-star guys coming out of high school, but guys who worked on their craft until they became masters.  It reminds me of a guy like Ryan Walk.

And, how about quarterbacks? How many uber-talented kids have come out of high school with all the "tools" only to flop at the college level with the elite programs?  Then a guy like Brock Purdy or Drew Brees finds success while apparently lacking those amazing athletic tools.  Hard to put a rating on what's going on inside a person's brain. 

• Thumbs Up 1

A Brock Purdy beat Tyler Shough over and over, but Tyler is rated higher. Maybe you watch the tape and see what the kid brings to the field. I suppose it is easy to just ask the pundits what the measurables are?

I hope we have recruited another qb who may not have all the measurables, but knows how to lead and win. Some can see the game, and it all slows down for them. We need to get back to recruiting all the traits of a winner, not just the measurables. I have confidence Lanning will bring that back.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/20/2023 at 8:34 PM, WiseKwacker said:

How many uber-talented kids have come out of high school with all the "tools" only to flop at the college level with the elite programs? 

This subject of 5* star athletes always brings to mind one player above all others... Todd was essentially a Eugenics project from his dad to create the ultimate football player.  It was beyond a disaster. 

WWW.PROFOOTBALLHISTORY.COM

Todd Marinovich was bred to be an NFL quarterback. However, Marinovich's unstable personal life would eventually crash his NFL career.