Charles Fischer

Little Known Rule Helps Lanning Trim the Roster to 85

I did not know of this, but on another site it was explained how college coaches in their first year only, (of which is running out on Lanning soon) can remove players off the football roster, but keep them on scholarship.  These newly "academic" scholarships do not count against the 85, thus the players could have been given a choice of leaving via the portal, or staying at Oregon and finishing their education.

We won't know who they are until later when they are not at football practices, since they would not have announced for the portal.  The rule is only good for the first year of a HC, so Lanning has to make the most of it while he can.

This might also explain the tons being brought in as high school players or from the portal. New rule to me!

giphy.gif

• Wow 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Is there anything cited to confirm this alleged rule?  I accept very little simply because someone says it is true and generally try to verify.  It very well may be fact but initially is doesn't pass the (censored) test.  I'll dig deeper when I have a bit more time but a quick check didn't even hint at such a regulation.  Obviously I'm skeptical.

Can you provide more information?

On 1/19/2023 at 6:06 PM, McDuck said:

Can you provide more information?

The principal of one of the pay sites, reported this.  Not the kind of thing he would snow us about, but he did not provide the NCAA rule.  I found it...

"The rule they’ve been using — 15.5.1.7 — is known as the “Aid After Departure of Head Coach” bylaw. Newly hired coaches can remove a player from their 85-man scholarship roster but keep them on scholarship as long as they stop playing."

THEATHLETIC.COM

If it sounds a little too much like we’re heading toward NFL-style roster cuts in college football, that’s not far from the truth.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

"There is a little known codicil in the Faber constitution............"

• Haha 2

On 1/19/2023 at 6:06 PM, McDuck said:

I accept very little

The interesting thing for me was that I thought that this was something the California schools pioneered, became mainstream elsewhere, and that this could be done at any point in time. I was not sure on specifics, just that if a player was given a scholarship to play football at UC Berkeley, for example, they would get to keep their 4 year scholarship even if they didn't pan out on the field.

I suppose a difference between what I thought had become the norm from institutions and this "new coach" rule, is that the coach can demand a player to leave to football program, where as in the policy I mentioned, it would be up to the  player to decide to leave (and stay to study). So, if a player enters the portal, and loses their spot, the worst case scenario would be to stay at their original school to study tuition free. 

Edited by 2002duck

On 1/19/2023 at 6:27 PM, Charles Fischer said:

The principal of one of the pay sites, reported this.  Not the kind of thing he would snow us about, but he did not provide the NCAA rule.  I found it...

"The rule they’ve been using — 15.5.1.7 — is known as the “Aid After Departure of Head Coach” bylaw. Newly hired coaches can remove a player from their 85-man scholarship roster but keep them on scholarship as long as they stop playing."

THEATHLETIC.COM

If it sounds a little too much like we’re heading toward NFL-style roster cuts in college football, that’s not far from the truth.

Interesting.  The rule has been on the books since 2010 with a revision in 2017.  Surprised I've never seen it even mentioned in the last dozen years and I follow recruiting far more than I should.

I don't subscribe to The Athletic but here is another site with an explanation.

INFORMEDATHLETE.COM

When an NCAA DI coach quits or is fired, even student-athletes who believe their guaranteed scholarship is safe may be in for disappointment and frustration.