OregonDucks

ESPN: Florida Grants Release to Top QB Prospect after NIL Deal Falls Through

"Jaden Rashada, a top quarterback prospect in the 2023 class, has been released from his national letter of intent by Florida and is now free to sign with another team, a source told ESPN.

Rashada, who was the highest-rated signee in the Gators' 2023 class in December, asked for his release after a reported $13 million name, image and likeness package fell through."

WWW.ESPN.COM

Florida has released 2023 quarterback prospect Jaden Rashada from his letter of intent, a source told ESPN. Rashada asked for...

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Haha 2

At least we/his suitors know where to start the bidding.

• Haha 1

It appears that roster building in pro sports is easy, compared to the scene now in college athletics.

• Yikes! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

But of course, NIL is in no way paying players to come to a particular school... 🤑

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

At least there's little doubt Oregon picked up a recruit or two (Novosad/Brock) that wants to be here, and hopefully,  wants to work for that privilege.

Edited by woundedknees

Maybe he will grovel his way back to Mario at Miami for a discount.

• Haha 1

He's apparently visiting Dillingham and ASU this weekend:

247SPORTS.COM

Five-star quarterback Jaden Rashada will visit Arizona State this weekend for an unofficial visit after being released from his NLI with Florida...

• Wow 1
  • Mic drop 1

Good gosh, we dodged a bullet, a big one on that one!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

This kid is making a mess of his recruiting! What's too good to be true is often true.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can see what KD at ASU is seeing - but man does this recruit have "coach killer" written all over him?

Overall? Have a positive feeling about KD and hope he gets far away from this mess as possible. I understand for a young coach it has to be tempting.

I guess I may be wrong but yeah .........

I was reprimanded on this site for saying KD was on the rotting end of a coaching tree. 

I will stand by my instincts—KD is untrustworthy and is not a good coach. 

On 1/20/2023 at 8:24 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

I will stand by my instincts—KD is untrustworthy and is not a good coach. 

KD is doing what he should, talking to a potential player to see if he is a fit. I know one thing, no one except the collective and Rashada’s family know what is really going on. The sports reporters and we certainly don’t. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Reported value of Jaden Rashada NIL deal did not make economic sense

According to multiple reports and On3 sources, Rashada flipped his commitment from Miami to Florida in November largely because of a massive $13.85 million NIL deal facilitated by Gator Collective operators.

However, the deal was so ludicrous that it dramatically exceeded fundraising levels for all of the major players in the Florida NIL marketplace.

Rashada has an On3 NIL Valuation of $450,000. For comparison, Caleb Williams, a returning Heisman Trophy winner, has an On3 NIL Valuation of $3.2 million. Alabama quarterback Bryce Young has a valuation of around $3 million after winning the Heisman Trophy in 2021.

This is a good article on how NIL agreements can go wrong when economics don't match up and it is not a good image for anyone involved. 

WWW.ON3.COM

Jaden Rashada’s $13 million canceled NIL deal with the Gator Collective didn’t make a lot of sense, especially from an...
  • Great post! 3

On 1/20/2023 at 3:58 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Good gosh, we dodged a bullet, a big one on that one!

This is the perfect example of why Oregon should avoid players that prioritize NIL above everything else.  I like how the coaches try to develop a relationship with recruits and pitch the program and school. Reportedly, NIL is the last thing they discuss. 

It should also be a wake up call to future recruits. If it sounds too good to be true…

• Thumbs Up 1

A problem with any of the purported valuations and NIL agreements is they don't include a time frame.  For example the $13 million for Rashada was over the length of the agreement.  Was that three years? Four? Five?  Are they pro-rated to escalate each year?  Is the $450,000 valuation for a high school senior or projection for a third year starter in college?  

Not nearly enough transparency in the wild west of football recruiting these days.

• Thumbs Up 1

Both media and players have an interest in inflating the figures. Media to get clicks, players to inflate the market. 13 mil, even if spread over 4 years, just no way.

If the offer is accurate no wonder it fell apart. 

Also walking away could have more to do with trust than money at this point. Even if the collective came back with a market offer how could you trust them to not back off again?

Edited by lownslowav8r

So compare that crap show to what's been written about NIL at Oregon...

"Some of the brightest and most influential sports marketing minds around have helped determine the structure and direction of this Oregon-centric collective. That has enabled Division Street, in the words of one industry source, to “operate at a high efficiency” and foster long-term sustainability. Nike co-founder Phil Knight joined up with a group of alumni to launch Division Street in the fall to help Oregon athletes monetize their brands.

The collection of top minds involved is virtually unrivaled. Former Oregon star women’s basketball player Sabrina Ionescu is the chief athlete officer and senior advisor. Rosemary St. Clair, former VP/GM of Nike Women, is the CEO. Rudy Chapa, former VP of sports marketing at Nike, is the chairman of the board. Division Street also enlists a creative company led by former Nike and Jordan brand executives. ”They are the model,” the source said. “They are built by the smartest sports marketers, so follow along. Everything they are doing is a lesson everyone can learn from.”

Source:

WWW.ON3.COM

Ten months into the ever-evolving NIL era, here are On3’s rankings of the most ambitious donor-led collectives. Trust us: Each is impactful.

So from what I can see NIL organizations come in two flavors.  1) Division St. essentially follows the sports representation model where athletes are clients and the collective markets the athletes NIL for legitimate marketing functions and 2) the private donations model... fans (rich and poor) donate money to the collective and the collective pays said money to the athletes for "NIL".

One of these is a legitimate activity and the other isn't... one has well credentialed experts guiding the business and the other has suitcases of cash and cocaine...

It's good to be a Ducks fan!

• Great post! 1