Pennsylvania Duck

Best Returning QB in Every Conference for 2023

Quarterback play is often what makes or breaks a team's season. As we preview the upcoming campaign, there are a number of talented signal-callers returning to campus.

Let's take a look at the best quarterback from each conference. We'll go alphabetically by conference...

BLEACHERREPORT.COM

The 2022 college football season just ended earlier this month, with Georgia winning the national title for a second consecutive year...

Caleb Williams, of course, is the easy pick, not really even close.

Penix, Nix, Rising…all very good, but not in Williams’ league.

On 1/24/2023 at 9:33 AM, DUCKED said:

These guys are absolutely in his league and will most likely beat him and USC this year. And guess what? We don't even have to wait for the Pac 12 Championship game to see it. All 3 QBs play USC in the regular season.

2023 will definitely not be kind to USC's win total

• Cool 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

If 2023 is kind to USC, I will shed a tear... Of frustration.

Nothing would make me sadder than to see a triumphant USC striding out the door with their heads held high.

Oregon needs to nut up and send them off with the bitter taste of defeat dripping from their lying teeth... (Too much?)

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/24/2023 at 9:33 AM, DUCKED said:

I'm sure much of the country agrees with this. Yet, in a playground pick... I would take Penix and Nix over Williams. Just like I would take Herbert and Purdy over Mahomes. I'm not saying Williams and Mahomes are not great quarterbacks. I'm just saying their egos are to big for me to want on my team. I feel the team as a whole is better served with a leader more like Nix or Penix.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/24/2023 at 9:57 AM, Babyjesus615 said:

These guys are absolutely in his league and will most likely beat him and USC this year. And guess what? We don't even have to wait for the Pac 12 Championship game to see it. All 3 QBs play USC in the regular season.

2023 will definitely not be kind to USC's win total

I certainly hope the Ducks, and Nix, contribute to their misery.

Williams is the most  overrated QB in America in my opinion He has the tools  to be  great  and he ran up  enough stats against so-so competition to impress the brain dead media types who often don't look beyond stats to determine their Heisman choice.

By the metric that counts most in my opinion, winning big games, Williams was the least accomplished of the four Heisman finalists. The other three all got their team to the playoffs: Caleb failed  on that metric in the PAC-12 championship game. By my metric, the most accomplished of the four was Stetson Bennett, and Stet was recognized for his leadership and sheer will to win by awarding him the Manning award for 2022 symbolizing the best  QB for that season.

I am just not all that impressed by Caleb Williams. Perhaps he will change my mind. Time will tell I guess.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Given the support available to Williams, his performance was the least that should have been expected... If his talent level is all it is made out to be, the nickname he deserves is Mr. Stubs.  

Toejams seems an appropriate nickname for Coach Riley's team.

On 1/24/2023 at 11:25 PM, woundedknees said:

Given the support available to Williams, his performance was the least that should have been expected... If his talent level is all it is made out to be, the nickname he deserves is Mr. Stubs.  

Toejams seems an appropriate nickname for Coach Riley's team.

Most of the sites I’ve seen have Williams projected to be the Number One pick in the 2024 draft. The talent evaluators could not care less about hype.

Williams is (almost) Manziel 2.0

I am pretty sure that Williams will be drafted high and have a decent pro career, although among young QBs, I would not take him over Herbert. I said Williams was overrated, not talent challenged. We'll see how far that talent carries him. 

The problem as I see it is that Lincoln Riley produces "system" QBs that excel in college (look at all the Heismans) but who don't lead their teams to much team success in the pros. Ohio State is another school that produces these "system QBs who don't do much as pros.

Can it be argued that these QBs are drafted by lousy teams which brands their lack of success perfectly understandable. Sure, that is a point for debate. But that high bar is not too high to prevent the success of the truly great ones.

Case in point: Joe Burrow. He is the last Heisman winner (2019) who, in my opinion, unquestionably was the best  college player in the year he won the award. He went  to a mediocre at best Bengals team and, now in his third season, is on the cusp of leading that team to its second Super Bowl in those three years. 

I am just always leery on the true abilities of those " big stats" system QBs who seem almost always to win what I have come to regard as tainted Heisman trophies.

• Thumbs Up 1