Pennsylvania Duck

Sparkling Stadium, Surging Program--San Diego State Ready for Pac-12

The mood floating around Cali's second largest -- but still laidback -- city is split between breathless anticipation and trying not to get too emotionally invested. Dreams have been dashed here before. See: The Chargers following the 2016 season.

"It's not an if, it's a when," said a high-ranking industry source regarding SDSU's future opportunity to join the Pac-12.

"Now that USC and UCLA are gone, there's nobody really to block us," said Jack McGrory, an SDSU alumnus, professor on campus for 25 years and now a member of the California State University board of trustees. "We're the only viable option to have a team in Southern California."

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The Pac-12 suddenly has a gaping hole in Southern California, and SDSU has never been more ready to fill it
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/26/2023 at 4:58 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

The mood floating around Cali's second largest -- but still laidback -- city is split between breathless anticipation and trying not to get too emotionally invested. Dreams have been dashed here before. See: The Chargers following the 2016 season.

"It's not an if, it's a when," said a high-ranking industry source regarding SDSU's future opportunity to join the Pac-12.

"Now that USC and UCLA are gone, there's nobody really to block us," said Jack McGrory, an SDSU alumnus, professor on campus for 25 years and now a member of the California State University board of trustees. "We're the only viable option to have a team in Southern California."

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The Pac-12 suddenly has a gaping hole in Southern California, and SDSU has never been more ready to fill it

Can 'THE PAC' get the stadium approved for the Holiday as a package deal?

I just wish SDSU's stadium was a little bigger, in the 40,000 to 45,000 range.  I don't know if they would fill it, but it just seems so small for a university that will be moving up to the Pac (whatever) considering it's in major city that doesn't have NFL football.  

My guess is that UNLV will end up being the other school, but that does not fill me with enthusiasm.  SMU the same thing, I wish BYU was available despite the religious scheduling or the cultural fit, since it fits in terms of geography, rivalry, and general athletic success.

• Thumbs Up 1

Reeser will only be around 36000 capacity after the renovation.

Yeah, San Diego State's new stadium is a bit small.  After OSU and WSU, the next few are Colorado 50,183, Stanford 50,424, Arizona 50,800 and Utah 51,444.  It did say they can expand to 50K, so that is good.

On 1/27/2023 at 12:02 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

Reeser will only be around 36000 capacity after the renovation.

Didn't they actually reduce the capacity at Reser?

On 1/27/2023 at 1:09 PM, woundedknees said:

Didn't they actually reduce the capacity at Reser?

Yes. Only way they could guaranty a sellout. 😀

I've seen it as low as 26,407 or so depending on which article you read.

I'm thinking the 26,407 is during the construction process.

Edited by GODUCKS15

San Diego State AD Threatens Pac-12 for Invite Using Big 12 as Leverage

Recently, San Deigo State athletic director J.D. Wicker told CBS Sports, “You want San Diego State in your league at [a full media rights share] because you don’t want us in the Big 12. All the Big 12 schools would have a reason to come to Southern California to recruit.”

WWW.HEARTLANDCOLLEGESPORTS.COM

Following an offseason that saw media members, athletic directors, and players use the word expansion no less than 8,000, smoke is...

This needs to get done sooner rather than later. Start building momentum that the PAC can still be a great conference without the LA traders.

The pack 12 has been at the forefront for lack of vision, we will see if it continues. Sitting back and waiting is the worst business model. Great way to go broke.

PAC12 should have added Kansas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma St, Houston, KSU & ISU last summer. 

I still believe the PAC12 will make another run at these schools before adding SMU & SDSU.