DrJacksPlaidPants

Mario Fires Josh Gattis After One Year

Word on the street is Arroyo is the top candidate to replace him. I don’t see a big improvement.

WWW.ESPN.COM

Miami has fired Josh Gattis as offensive coordinator after one season after the Hurricanes fell...

"Mario-Ball" has claimed it's first victim at The U.  

• Haha 2

MC changes OCs more often than a runway model changes outfits. How someone like Gattis goes from being a Broyles winner at Michigan to getting canned in one year at Miami reflects much more on the dude at the top than the OC. MCs insistence on pounding square pegs into round holes seems to doom these guys.

If they are smart they bail to places like Akron at half the pay just to get out from under the thumb of Coach Muay Thai.

These disasters don't happen in a vacuum. Gattis will land somewhere that makes him successful again. My bet is he had his bags packed.

How many of that top 10 2023 class were recruited by Gattis and staff and will be now reconsider their destination? 

Good luck drawing a young innovative OC to Coral Gables. Day one will be a lesson in 'physicality', inconsistent direction, abysmal in game management and displacement of blame for failure.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah.....the problem with Miami's offense was with the OC, the prior year's Broyles Award winner!

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

That should fix everything, problem solved! Yea.........

• Haha 2

Thanks for playing... Here's your lovely parting gift!

WWW.SI.COM

The offensive coordinator spent one year with the Hurricanes.

"According to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald, Miami will pay Gattis’s “large buyout” to go in a different direction." 

Edited by woundedknees

"It's not me, it's you..."  

He just needs to find the OC that can execute his vision of super predictable smash mouth football.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

They might have been better off promoting Gattis and firing Cristobal. 

• Haha 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Gosh, what's next? Stanford hires MC as new offensive line coach! 

Edited by John Charles

Yeah.....Gattis was the problem!  Let's ignore all the other evidence to the contrary.  I'm sure Cristobal is eagerly awaiting Arroyo to come in so that he cant further control the offensive since Arroyo doesn't have the same reputation for success that Gattis had before he came to that dumpster fire down in Miami. 

I'm sure Miami will eventually get to annual 9/10 win season just simply due to the talent upgrade, but it will be the same story as before until Mario learns that he is a CEO/hype man only and not some offensive savant... but we all know that will never happen.

MarinoO should do Miami a favor and fire himself.

How many OCs will Miami go through before the AD figures out Mario is the issue?

Scapegoat #1 goes down at Maimi. 

Tune in next year for scapegoat #2.

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Want ad in Miami Herald "Looking for Woody Hayes clone, no job security, but a golden parachute awaits."

It's always all good in Mario-world until the games actually start.

My hope is that Gattis takes a head coaching job in the ACC a few years down the road. Just in time to deliver the loss that puts Cristobal on unemployment!

• Haha 1

On 1/27/2023 at 12:36 PM, Babyjesus615 said:

My hope is that Gattis takes a head coaching job in the ACC a few years down the road. Just in time to deliver the loss that puts Cristobal on unemployment!

ACC, you say? FSU would seem to be ideal...

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't imagine that there are OC folks out there that are sitting at impatiently by their phone waiting for that phone call...

If ANYONE watched a Mari0 game they know the pain that people who like offense endure.

Maybe my son's junior high coach wants to move up...it would be about the same offense.

• Haha 1

I remember how shocked we all were when Mari landed Gattis. 

We all wondered how Gattis would handle Mari’s micromanagement. 

It sure didn’t take long to find out. 

And can we be sure that Gattis was fired? Did Gattis lay down an ultimatum that Mari wouldn’t agree to?

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/27/2023 at 10:39 AM, John Charles said:

Gosh, what's next? Stanford hires MC as new offensive line coach! 

I wouldn't like to see him at Stanford but offense line coach is what he is qualified for.

Needed at the U:

Offensive Coordinator

Requirements, leave your imagination at the door, be physical, play slow, let me repeat that play slow, no down field passing, no chunk plays...

Must be comfortable with micromanagement of the head coach who doesn't really know what he's doing.

If this frustrates you to no end you must be willing to leave after one season with a nice severance package.

Any takers?

• Haha 4