Charles Fischer

New Updates: 5-Star Nyckoles Harbor Recruitment...Whew!

For the latest updates...see the bottom of this thread.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over on one of the Oregon pay-sites--a member has gone to message boards/forums of other schools recruiting the 5-Star athlete, and it sure seems confusing...

South Carolina fans/mods are confident in securing him with Oregon coming in second.

Maryland fans/mods are confident, with South Carolina coming second.

Michigan fans/mods are confident, with Maryland coming second.

A Maryland 247 insider puts it at 50/50 between Oregon and Maryland.

The Michigan On3 mod thinks he is Oregon's to lose.

As one Oregon site stated..."His dad, sister, aunt, uncle and four other members of his family/circle will be with him in Eugene all weekend."  Wowza.  This is one big sales-job! 

And one 247 analyst felt that Phil and Penny donating a Billion to OHSU is important, as Harbor wants to be a doctor later?  (Not sure if that fits, but...)

Who knows where this is going?

giphy.gif

It sure adds to the mystery/entertainment element!  Wednesday will be exciting!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2

Mr. FishDuck

As Pennsylvania Duck posted in another thread, (Don't you all love her?!) the prize recruit is most certainly in Eugene.

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/27/2023 at 4:24 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Over on one of the Oregon pay-sites--a member has gone to message boards/forums of other schools recruiting the 5-Star athlete, and it sure seems confusing...

South Carolina fans/mods are confident in securing him with Oregon coming in second.

Maryland fans/mods are confident, with South Carolina coming second.

Michigan fans/mods are confident, with Maryland coming second.

A Maryland 247 insider puts it at 50/50 between Oregon and Maryland.

The Michigan On3 mod thinks he is Oregon's to lose.

As one Oregon site stated..."His dad, sister, aunt, uncle and four other members of his family/circle will be with him in Eugene all weekend."  Wowza.  This is one big sales-job! 

And one 247 analyst felt that Phil and Penny donating a Billion to OHSU is important, as Harbor wants to be a doctor later?  (Not sure if that fits, but...)

Who knows where this is going?

giphy.gif

It sure adds to the mystery/entertainment element!  Wednesday will be exciting!

Sir, Charles, The key question is where is Mom? She appears to be the only family member that did not visit, and she has been the "bell cow".

BTW, I mean no disrespect to Mom with that characterization. Mom is the power player on this decision.

VR,

KCDuck1

• Oh no! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Certainly creates boatloads of anticipation, but part of me wonders how these 5* lottery picks deal with the derecruitment process if their heads aren’t screwed on properly.

Very true KCDuck, my Duck-Brother.

That is another part of this puzzle that is befuddling to me. If that entire family group comes back excited about Oregon, is she going to throw cold water on it?

To me, all of this drama and questions adds to the entertainment value, and the excitement of the announcements on Wednesday.

Considering all that Oregon has to offer, and the fact that we were the last visit within days of the signing date, it would favor us.

But another phenomenon in recruiting that the savvy experienced analysts will refer to, is how the distance factor doesn’t really show up until crunch time in the last two days of deciding. 

The realization of that long flight back, may make distance a major factor.

Another factor is how he has a girlfriend that is running track at South Carolina, and one Oregon site moderator has noted that girlfriends have won recruiting battles every single time in the past.

Another negative factor, is how the mother is so sold on Michigan. The parents usually win the recruiting final decision, as that was the major reason we lost Hicks to Texas ATM.

Yes, Oregon checks all of Harbor‘s boxes better than any school, by a mile. Thus this recruitment is quite interesting, entertaining, and befuddling!

• Great post! 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/27/2023 at 4:29 PM, Washington Waddler said:

Certainly creates boatloads of anticipation, but part of me wonders how these 5* lottery picks deal with the derecruitment process if their heads aren’t screwed on properly.

WW, (and gosh, I love that handle name!) this to me, is one guy I don’t think will be threatened that much by the de-recruitment process, because he appears to be a very smart fellow, with a very stable family structure, and because he has other options such as track.

For him, his time at Oregon, and is truly “good or good” in terms of the sports.

He could become one of the most celebrated athletes at University of Oregon if he chooses to.

Mr. FishDuck

It comes down to too many variables, (track, academics, football) and too many player's in the decision process to be able to make a decent prediction. 

I will say the mom, and the girlfriend may be the silent power players. Rational calculations should be thrown out the door.

If Oregon comes into play it will be a huge Nike opportunity. Nike has promoted Bo, the other Bo, and Michael along with Tiger like no other brand. If Nike pitches Harbor with Oregon that could be the clincher for us.

• Applause 1
  • Like 1

I have wondered if the new portal rules might benefit Oregon in a way not often mentioned (at least as I have seen).

Before, if a recruit loved Oregon, but it was deemed "too far away" (often for family), the old transfer rules made returning home a more difficult decision.

Now, with one essentially free transfer, a recruit could try Oregon and if it doesn't "fit" can return closer to home without the same year penalty.

It would seem, if a recruit LOVES Oregon, but the rest of the family isn't sure, one free transfer sort of makes letting the kid give it a shot a bit easier to decide, or no?

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/27/2023 at 6:49 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

If he's really serious about Olympic track, he'll need Olympic training facilities. Not many places compare with Oregon's.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe the gf could 'portal' to Oregon...

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/27/2023 at 6:28 PM, AnotherOD said:

It would seem, if a recruit LOVES Oregon, but the rest of the family isn't sure, one free transfer sort of makes letting the kid give it a shot a bit easier to decide, or no?

Good point, this could also work in reverse. What if a recruit goes to a school for girl then breaks up with or finds their independence from mom after a year of college. This could lead to recruits coming to their dream school later in their career.

On 1/27/2023 at 4:32 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Very true KCDuck, my Duck-Brother.

That is another part of this puzzle that is befuddling to me. If that entire family group comes back excited about Oregon, is she going to throw cold water on it?

To me, all of this drama and questions adds to the entertainment value, and the excitement of the announcements on Wednesday.

Considering all that Oregon has to offer, and the fact that we were the last visit within days of the signing date, it would favor us.

But another phenomenon in recruiting that the savvy experienced analysts will refer to, is how the distance factor doesn’t really show up until crunch time in the last two days of deciding. 

The realization of that long flight back, may make distance a major factor.

Another factor is how he has a girlfriend that is running track at South Carolina, and one Oregon site moderator has noted that girlfriends have won recruiting battles every single time in the past.

Another negative factor, is how the mother is so sold on Michigan. The parents usually win the recruiting final decision, as that was the major reason we lost Hicks to Texas ATM.

Yes, Oregon checks all of Harbor‘s boxes better than any school, by a mile. Thus this recruitment is quite interesting, entertaining, and befuddling!

I wonder how Harbor's girlfriend would enjoy running track for Oregon.....😉

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/27/2023 at 2:24 PM, Charles Fischer said:

The Knights have been very supportive of OHSU over the years. I agree with Charles it may not be much of a factor. Particularly when compared to a Nike NIL deal.

Medical school and pro sports are a tough mix. The best example was Eric Heiden, now an orthopedic surgeon in Utah. He 'cycled' thru Olympic skating and bike racing before med school at Stanford. There have been 5 NFL players that made the transition, one who earned their medical degree in Canada before playing football. Another, Myron Rolle played for the Chiefs and is now a neurosurgeon after Harvard training.

JH was a slam dunk premed at Oregon and may be the next to make the transition, but he's staring at a potential half a billion $$ contract that would tie him up for a decade or more. He would be 35 years old. On the other hand, at that point he could buy his own med school, name it after himself and be the first graduate with that kind of coin.

Harbor may be serious about becoming a surgeon even if he has that kind of an NFL/Track future ahead of him. Point is it is a very tough row to hoe. Then again, you gotta do something when your playing days are over.

If you had to rate Harbor's potential landing spots based on academics, med school reputation and prowess alone:

1. Maryland (Johns Hopkins)

2. Michigan (UM)

3. Oregon (OHSU)

4. South Carolina (MUSC)

If his doctor dreams hold up, odds are pretty good he could waltz his way into medical school at some point after his football career was over.

Edited by EastBayDuckDad
  • Thumbs Up 1

So I know Harbor is young but I think he's a bit more mature than the average 5* recruit.  What I mean is he's thinking about his recruitment from all angles and he realizes that his "Brand" is an important commodity.  He's indicated multiple schools have made his final list several times but that list has shifted over the  year and he's been consistent in listing his priorities for selection as academics, athletics and track.  Why has he taken so long to decide let alone narrow his final list?  Simple, Buzz is good for business.

He's got a vested interest in having more football fans know his name and his potential.  I think Oregon is a real contender and Maryland is the default stay close to home choice.  Michigan has world class academics and he has family in the area.  These schools mostly makes sense with South Carolina as an outlier.  USC was one of his listed schools but it doesn't tend to come back up very often.

What I believe is if he selects Oregon it's because he's prioritizing the 2024 Olympics and is considering a long term brand association with Nike across track and football.  Football is certainly important to him but it's clearly not the apex decider which is why he dropped the SEC schools and Miami from his list after the summer.  He knows his athletic gifts are in the 0.1% and his work ethic and intelligence are considered phenomenal.  

As its been said on the forum before we would take him no matter what his constraints are but I believe if we get him he will be pushing very hard on track prep all next year.  After the 2024 Olympics I think he will focus his path based on those results.

• Thumbs Up 1

Another item is as a two sport 5* athlete who compares in the recent past? Remember JTT, wanted to play football, and play basketball?

JTT is only playing football, and seems to have dropped the basketball dream. It will be interesting to see what this young man actually does after enrolling at his chosen school. 

There is so much money in sports right now that focusing on athletics, one sport, may be his smartest move. Keep the academics up, but how much can a student athlete do while juggling D1 sports?

One item is the academic support at Oregon is second to none. This might be another hidden selling point. Any pics of Harbor at the Jaqua Center?

The young man is being sold opportunities, but what is realistic? If he pulls off T&fricken, Football, and high level academics it will take a plan that is actionable. He has to have goals that are realistic, and a plan that is workable. I suppose recruits are just being sold opportunities at this point.

The Pit Crew welcomed Nyckoles Harbor at the basketball game last night...

Sounds like he had a great time...and the Ducks won!

LOOK: 5-star Nyckoles Harbor gets good look at Eugene on official visit

It appears that the Oregon Ducks are pulling out the stops when it comes to the official visit for 5-star athlete Nyckoles Harbor this weekend.

While Friday night was spent with the track and football star touring the Historic Hayward Field, Saturday was jam-packed with events spread across the city.

Here are some of the best photos and videos of Harbor’s official visit thus far...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

From Hayward Field, to photo shoots, to hanging out in the student section at the Ducks game, 5-star Nyckoles Harbor has had an...

• Thumbs Up 1

Sounds like this young man has a plan and good priorities. Oregon has some things going for it.

Excellent track and football programs and facilities, are probably better than any of his other offers. 

Michigan probably leads in academics, but Oregon is competitive with his other finalists.

Can't imagine South Carolina has much pull other than the girl friend. 

Michigan's coach may not go this years, but seems to be eying an NFL job, Maryland is close to home, but just look around you in Eugene and then in College Park, where do you want to spend your next four years?

I think Oregon has a good shot. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Wonder if this could factor into the decision.

FOOTBALLSCOOP.COM

More than a week after confirming his return to Michigan, Jim Harbaugh met with the Denver Broncos.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thanks 1

5-Star ATH Nyckoles Harbor Sets Commitment Date

Archbishop Carroll (D.C.) athlete Nyckoles Harbor has set his time and date for a decision. The 6-foot-5, 225-pounder will commit Wednesday, Feb. 1 at 10 AM PST. His commitment will air live on ESPN as part of the signing day special. His coach confirmed the announcement time with On3’s Chad Simmons Monday morning.

And Oregon has its sights set on one of the top athletes in the country...

• Thanks 1

I think South Carolina is the team to beat for Harbor. Would love to see him in Green and Yellow but its going to be tough

On 1/30/2023 at 11:16 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

The 6-foot-5, 225-pounder will commit Wednesday, Feb. 1 at 10 AM PST.

I was worried, as one report indicated he might wait with his announcement until after his High School Track season.  Glad to know one way or the other soon enough...

On 1/30/2023 at 1:25 PM, QuackerBarrel said:

I think South Carolina is the team to beat for Harbor. Would love to see him in Green and Yellow but its going to be tough

A pay-site that is pretty plugged in thinks our major competition is Maryland, because of great relationships between their coaches and Harbor and because of the distance.  Maryland is close, and Oregon is not.

Mr. FishDuck

It is interesting also that he was pictured in a chrome helmet, as I don't think we've used that helmet since the Rose Bowl for the 2019 season?

Justin Herbert at Rose Bowl_Eugene Johnson.jpg

Silver Helmet back.jpg

A beautiful lid...

Mr. FishDuck

This is from an insider for a Maryland Pay-Site as of noonish today.

------------------------------------------------
What I'm Hearing as Five-Star Nyckoles Harbor Enters Decision Time by Jeff Ermann

Nyckoles Harbor is wrapping up his visit to Oregon and taking the long trek back to Maryland. For the Terps, that long journey -- about an eight-hour trip that inevitably includes at least one connecting flight -- is one of the biggest points of hope.

Harbor is big on the local DMV scene, so in my estimation, after discussions with several sources at schools recruiting him and others with close personal insight about his family's process, it will largely come down to whether the pull of Oregon's rich track setup and close connections to the Nike marketing machine is strong enough to lure him farther away than he previously considered going.

From what I've gathered, Maryland entered the weekend with hopes of getting the five-star local athlete, but also concerned that Oregon has made a big surge. Other sources close to Harbor's family have indicated that NIL and marketing have taken on an increasing role during the past six to eight weeks, as I previously reported in December. That's not to say Maryland isn't competitive in those aspects, because the Terps do have built a solid program in that aspect -- but if it comes down primarily to those criteria, it's hard for anyone to compete with Oregon's familial Nike connections and world-class track facility.

Michigan and South Carolina also remain in the mix. Michigan is cautiously optimistic, and I'm told his parents are fond of that program and the academics there. South Carolina media and apparently Shane Beamer are confident, but other sources close to his recruitment there and others don't seem as optimistic that the Gamecocks are players.

5-star athlete Nyckoles Harbor names top seven schools

Harbor in a Maryland uniform

All told, no one, perhaps even Harbor and his family, knows where he's going. About a month ago, before the Oregon push, he was clearly Maryland's to lose. If I had to put percentages on it now, purely from those conversations and my gut feeling right now, I'd probably give Oregon a 50% chance, Maryland a 35% chance and the other two a combined 15%. But no outcome would shock me. if it came down strictly to comfort, it likely would be Maryland.

If it came down strictly to marketing and track offerings, it would be Oregon. If academics were the lone priority, it would likely be Michigan. And the buzz a few months ago was that South Carolina was the favorite, so maybe they've fooled everyone outside of Columbia and quietly stayed in pole position?

The bottom line, it's largely going to come down to whether Harbor, after getting a taste of what Oregon has to offer but also the travel involved in getting there -- decides he's willing to go that far away. I'm told his mom doesn't love the idea of that distance and was not on the trip, on which Harbor had about five other guests with him. But his father is more involved in the decision-making process.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I understand that this roller-coaster gives many indigestion, but I find it exciting and fun.  My FishDuck Friends....we are in the good-or-good scenario.  The Dan-man has landed a supreme high school and portal recruiting class, and this is just....

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

And here is what the insider at South Carolina had to say!

------------------------------------------------

Monday Afternoon Harbor Intel by Tony Morrell

I know everyone is awaiting the decision of Washington (D.C) Archbishop Carroll five-star athlete Nyckoles Harbor, who will announce his college choice on Wednesday around 10:00 AM live on ESPN. The 6-foot-5, 230 pounder took his final official visit of the process over the weekend to Oregon, and there is some optimism on the side of the Ducks where Harbor is concerned given the combination of football, track, and the Nike connection they have to offer him. Gamecocks head coach Shane Beamer and multiple assistant coaches conducted their in-home visit with Harbor last week before his trip to Eugene. Harbor has a strong relationship with several South Carolina commitments and has been on campus multiple times, both officially and unofficially.

Up to this point in the process, Harbor and his family have done a great job of keeping everyone who is following his recruitment in suspense. It seems sources at South Carolina, Oregon, and Michigan are all feeling some sense of optimism, and nobody in the recruiting world seems to have a firm grasp on which school Harbor will choose tomorrow. Two sources I spoke with Monday believe it will be South Carolina or Oregon in the end. My information indicates the Gamecocks staff has the best connection with Harbor and his family and that there is a high level of trust between the two parties.

New Developments In South Carolina Target Nyckoles Harbor's Recruitment -  Sports Illustrated South Carolina Gamecocks News, Analysis and More

Harbor in a Gamecock uniform

Beamer and Co. (South Carolina head coach) have also outworked the schools to land Harbor, and the Harbor family has noted their efforts. While NIL is certainly a part of his decision, it is not the driving force. It is more about branding and opportunities to build his reputation over the course of his career, both in football and track. While crazier things have happened, going from Washington D.C. to Eugene, Oregon, after only visiting one time seems unlikely on the surface given how tight-knit the Harbor family is, and it does not sound like a family move across the country is likely with his father having job specific to D.C.

Certainly, things could change, but it sounds like the suspense will carry over all the way up to his announcement, and everyone will find out at the same time where he is taking his talents, but my feeling is still that the Gamecocks have the best chance to land him as of this writing. As such, I am entering a crystal ball prediction for South Carolina based on the entirety of my information, even though this is not a scenario where I know for sure where he is headed.

It is just my best guess after speaking with as many sources as I could. Harbor will play football and run track at whichever school he chooses. He is capable of playing on either side of the ball on the gridiron, but all indications are he wants his primary position to be on the offensive side. Harbor is considered the nation's No. 1 athlete and the No. 19 overall prospect in the nation according to the 247Sports Composite Rankings.

Mr. FishDuck

It’s my opinion that our track team need the two sprinters more than our football team needs them. Though our football team can always use speed. Hopefully when can get both.

Holy Crap!  Look at the track record of predicting by the fellow above!  If I was a Gamecock fan...I'd be feeling prettay-prettay good.

Track Record.jpg

You want drama?  How much better can it be than this?  I do not recall Oregon being involved with a such a high-profile recruit just two days before the February signing date where FOUR schools felt good about their chances.  Whew!

Mr. FishDuck

LOOK: 5-star Nyckoles Harbor shares photos from visit to Oregon

We’ve extensively covered how things went for Harbor over the weekend, and on Monday, he finally released some of

the top photos from his visit. With a mix of track and football, it’s safe to say that he looks pretty good in the green and yellow.

BTW, his photos are on an Instagram stream. You don't need to belong, just wait for photos to load and then click on the arrows to scroll           (I dont't belong to Instagram and it loaded fine for me). The track photos are really good!

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Nyckoles Harbor definitely looks good in the green and yellow 👀🦆

Great pictures. Oregon has by far the best facilities, an amazing game day atmosphere and wonderful academic support for student athletes. Too bad he couldn’t have been at Hayward for a meet!

Harbor has some great options. I’m sure it’s a difficult decision. Would love to see him in green and yellow but wish him the best wherever he ends up. 

Pursuing football and track, while keeping his grades up for medical school would not be easy for anyone, given the time commitment required of each. Best of luck to the young man.  

I will be shocked, pleasantly surprised, and elevate Lanning to an even loftier status if Harbor decides to come to Oregon.

I do wish him the best wherever he goes, seems like an amazing young man.

I will say after flying half way around the world and back recently, the flight alone will weigh on the decision.

Unknown.jpeg

On 1/30/2023 at 4:54 PM, OregonDucks said:

Too bad he couldn’t have been at Hayward for a meet!

He has been to prior meets, I believe this last summer as an 18 & Under competitor at the new Hayward Field.  (The picture below is not Hayward Field)  He made reference in a prior article to the new facilities, although I doubt he went inside and saw the whole package that Track and Field athletes will have.

DyeStat.com - News - Nyckoles Harbor II Gets Unexpected Challenge, Still  Prevails at Mt. SAC Relays

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

A new article just up for subscribers only...but the juicy tidbit is...

Four of Harbor's finalists are in the eastern time zone, but he said the distance associated with going to school at Oregon is not an issue.

"I could go out there," he said. "I could do that."

2023 Athlete Nyckoles Harbor Sets Commitment Date - Sports Illustrated  Oregon Ducks News, Analysis and More

Note the assistant coach on the right; it is not the TE coach, but Junior Adams the Wide Receivers coach!

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

I was reviewing previous Track and Field Championships.  It isn't good for Maryland or South Carolina.  Neither hardly puts athletes in the Championships and neither had anybody score for them the last 2 years.  If track truly is part of his decision, I can't see him choosing Maryland or South Carolina.

• Thumbs Up 1

Welp, OBD should have an answer shortly...

BROBIBLE.COM

Nyckoles Harbor may be the most freakishly athletic high school football prospect in the last decade-plus. The five-star out of Archbishop Carroll High

So will it be the chicken or the Duck?  😀

These recruitments might be going the wrong way....

200.gif

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

Tuesdays with Gorney: Rivals250 predictions for the Late Signing Day

Adam Gorney of Rivals does his predictions, including Harbor and Pleasant...

OREGON.RIVALS.COM

Five-star cornerback Cormani McClain flipped from Miami to Colorado in mid-January.

My prediction...

I rarely make them, as I am usually wrong, so it might be bad news that I'm predicting Oregon will win Harbor over.

I think Oregon has the superior student support and "life after sports" preparation/support programs that will appeal to an athlete who (by most accounts) has good long-range vision and aspires to greatness after he hangs up he spikes & cleats...

Over at 247, five predictions have been made....four by South Carolina Insiders, and one by a neutral guy from Maryland who has a 100% accuracy rating for this recruiting cycle.  (Close to DC, no?!)  As you can surmise, the SC guys have Harbor going there.  The MD fellow, a publisher of Maryland Sports, has a high confidence of Harbor to the Ducks!  Predictions, with one SC exception, were made today.  Oh, and Rivals likes him as a Duck, too.

I hope Harbor's girlfriend either transfers to Oregon or knows she will be logging a lot of air miles in her future.  😁

Edited by Mudslide

I can see him joining the Ducks.......either today or when he hits the portal.

Reading between the lines it seems Oregon is gaining momentum.  From the start of a premium post by an insider on a Gamecocks forum "Sometime after midnight EST, there seemed to be a tide turn...".  Another member posted "The tea leaves appear to have taken an 11th hour turn west for this young man's services. Bummer. I hate nike." and "They have sources on coaching staffs. Harbor has already told all of the coaching staffs of his decision. All the schools know."

All speculation at this point but the above were posted within the past couple hours.  A glimmer of hope.

• Thanks 1

Update on an article from 247 

Also Oregon now apparently has a 247 person logging a prediction for Oregon to land Harbor... so who knows what is going on????

So Rivals is predicting Harbor to Oregon, along with 247 and ScoopDuck?  (On3)

Mr. FishDuck

As another thread mentioned, he is going to South Carolina.  I guess track and the Olympics isn't as important as I thought.

• Thumbs Up 1

GF more important than Olympic level track. Love makes fools of us all.