Pennsylvania Duck

Mac Court Memories: Oregon’s Original House of Hoops, Truly One of a Kind

Many of us hold fond memories of Mac Court...

The high-school style bleachers are right on top of the playing floor, with no press tables, girders, or trenches separating you from the floor. If you were seated in the first row, your feet were on the same floor on which the game was being played.

The architecture of the place was truly something to behold, it really was like a miniature version of the famous Boston Garden.

But what made the biggest impact was the way the crowd took over the building. When the fans were celebrating, the arena itself was shaking. In the student section when we’d jump up and down, the bleachers would wobble violently and it has been said the players could feel the floor vibrating.

After reading this article, what do you remember fondly about Mac Court?

WWW.ADDICTEDTOQUACK.COM

Oregon’s original house of hoops was truly one of a kind

Great memories, but also I recall how with leg room so cramped....my knees would be killing me by the end of a game.

Mr. FishDuck

I remember having to sit up in the rafters once. You could literally feel those rafters shaking! During the Kamaikaze Kids days, the place was so loud, it was deafening. We didn't have the Pit Crew back in the day, but for some games, we were crammed together in the student section like sardines. I've never been back to see a game at MKA, so don't know how that compares.

The balcony swaying and shaking as we played UCLA and other teams!

Registration in person each quarter for classes hoping to get the class and time you wanted.

Running the mile for time in the hallways for a P.E. class.  Lots of tight turns.

Dressing for wrestling practice in the sauna located in the lower level.

I watched the Ducks beat undefeated No.1 UCLA in 2007 at The Pit.

A great game, with an unbelievably raucous crowd, that came down to Aaron Brooks’ winning jumper with a few seconds to go, sealing a 68-66 win.

Only downside was a forgot to bring my umbrella……heavy rains that day and the roof leaked throughout game. I spent most of the afternoon dodging raindrops.

• Haha 1

What I remember is that in the basement UNDERNEATH Mac Court was the entire U of O weight room. I can picture Pat Matson and Neal Steinhauer bench pressing.

2/13/1970 vs Cal who was ranked and featured 2 Parade AA’s, Ansley Truitt C & Phil Chenier G.  Cal was ranked; us, not so.  Final 98 - 91.  It was after this game that the University called in earthquake inspectors due to the first time the scoreboard shook.  From then on it was an every game contest to get it to shake and was even used as a recruiting tool when hosting recruits.

2/20/1971 vs UCLA.  L 74-67, tight game throughout.  During warmups, Sidney Wicks ran sprints and just glared at the student section when he got to that end.  Students stood up and screamed at him.  He only ran 1 sprint!  At the opening tip, the crowd was so loud the refs were ready to throw a technical for delay of game because the Ducks couldn’t get introduced over the noise.  Late in the tight game Henry Bibby Sr. stole the ball and went the entire court for a layup and ended up in the bleachers when Stan Love went up to block it, grabbed the rim and gave Bippy a foot in the back.

Loved the top tier, I think my knees just stopped aching last week from being pressed up against the seat in front.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/28/2023 at 3:05 PM, Steven A said:

2/13/1970 vs Cal who was ranked and featured 2 Parade AA’s, Ansley Truitt C & Phil Chenier G.  Cal was ranked; us, not so.  Final 98 - 91.  It was after this game that the University called in earthquake inspectors due to the first time the scoreboard shook.  From then on it was an every game contest to get it to shake and was even used as a recruiting tool when hosting recruits.

2/20/1971 vs UCLA.  L 74-67, tight game throughout.  During warmups, Sidney Wicks ran sprints and just glared at the student section when he got to that end.  Students stood up and screamed at him.  He only ran 1 sprint!  At the opening tip, the crowd was so loud the refs were ready to throw a technical for delay of game because the Ducks couldn’t get introduced over the noise.  Late in the tight game Henry Bibby Sr. stole the ball and went the entire court for a layup and ended up in the bleachers when Stan Love went up to block it, grabbed the rim and gave Bippy a foot in the back.

Loved the top tier, I think my knees just stopped aching last week from being pressed up against the seat in front.

That was Belko’s last year. Things really got crazy when Harter showed up. 

I remember students camping in front of MaC Court the night before games to get good seats in the student section. Once they opened the doors it was a free-for-all for seats since it was the first one there gets the seat. 

Remember the dungeons down below? The locker rooms, weight rooms, and multi purpose courts. Seemed pretty old when I was there, kind of surprised it is still standing.