FishDuck Article

Oregon’s Offense Will Pick Up Where It Left Off

How a change in OCs will still maintain continuity...

FISHDUCK.COM

Kenny Dillingham did wonders for the Oregon offense in 2022. He helped resurrect Bo Nix's career by developing him into a top-10 quarterback...

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks Joshua for the assurance Oregon will continue to have an awesome offense.  You spoke of the critical plays that QB Bo Nix excelled at.  I'm looking forward to Spring practices!

Go Ducks!  Work hard in this off season!

• Thumbs Up 1

Love the hire, a young guy with talent, and a lot to prove. Another item which will be interesting to see is how aggressive he is, and how loose a leash Lanning has on the guy.

Will we see as aggressive 4th down calls, or will having a punter, instead of 3 make us more strategic?

Also what trick plays will Stein have up his sleeve?

Lastly how good will he be at qb development, and will Ty and the new guy better thrive under Stein? Our future will hinge on the guy after Nix, and we need to see somebody ready to step in for a series, or even a game.

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Great take Josh, thanks!

I'm so looking forward to see what the offense holds, this looks promising. 

It was so good to see Oregon offense return, hope it gets even better.

Agreed cartm25 the OL is my biggest concern. We have some talented guys coming back and coming in, but this group largely hasn't played together before. Hope they mesh quickly.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nice piece, Joshua. Exactly as you say, I expect the offensive scheme and identity to remain mostly unchanged this coming season. The only two things I expect to differ is the amount that both RPOs and the pistol are used. 

What I do like about Stein's offense that I've heard from other sources, is how he likes to throw deep downfield often during a game. Power-running to bring more defenders in the box, and then get the one-one-one matchups on the WRs.  

Fun article Joshua, and THANKS.

Mr. FishDuck

I think Lanning said that the offense was Frankensteined together by all the coaches and the basic principles weren’t going to change.

I’d expect Stein to add his favorite ingredients to the mix instead of a whole sale system change.

Also, I wonder if Harbor could be turned into a tight end/ receiver hybrid to keep his weight down at Olympic levels. After the olympics, he could then add weight and play either edge or tight end to prep for the pros.

The combination of Stein wanting to regularly throw down field and having your tight end be the fastest guy on the field sounds like a nightmare for D coordinators. Also sounds like a great selling point for bringing Harbor into the flock.

• Thumbs Up 1

A good QB can help make an OC look like a genius.

Nix coming back certainly smooths out some of the expected rough spots on offense. Namely the OL gelling together as a unit. Nix is fully capable of having another solid season at QB. His play last year definitely contributed to Dillingham getting a HC position. 

With the talent we have at RB, that position is solid. We definitely need some receivers and TEs to step up, but I think our offense looks pretty good on paper. 

All eyes will be on our defensive line and the strides they make to improve upon their ability to pressure the QB. That stat will dictate whether this team gets itself back into the conference championship game. 

On 1/30/2023 at 9:29 AM, Smith72 said:

Thanks Joshua for the assurance Oregon will continue to have an awesome offense.  You spoke of the critical plays that QB Bo Nix excelled at.  I'm looking forward to Spring practices!

Go Ducks!  Work hard in this off season!

Of course! I expect no drop-off whatsoever!

On 1/30/2023 at 9:40 AM, Haywarduck said:

Love the hire, a young guy with talent, and a lot to prove. Another item which will be interesting to see is how aggressive he is, and how loose a leash Lanning has on the guy.

Will we see as aggressive 4th down calls, or will having a punter, instead of 3 make us more strategic?

Also what trick plays will Stein have up his sleeve?

Lastly how good will he be at qb development, and will Ty and the new guy better thrive under Stein? Our future will hinge on the guy after Nix, and we need to see somebody ready to step in for a series, or even a game.

That last portion is MASSIVE and such a good point. I think that's the biggest unknown about Stein right now.

On 1/30/2023 at 10:48 AM, cartm25 said:

I'm optimistic about the offense.

My primary concern is the time it will take for the new offensive line to build experience and chemistry. Last year's OL had 4-5 years working with each other; the value of that can't be measured.

Yes that is certainly a concern, and the line's continuity is one of the unsung reasons we had so much success last season.

On 1/30/2023 at 3:47 PM, Coach Eric Boles said:

Nice piece, Joshua. Exactly as you say, I expect the offensive scheme and identity to remain mostly unchanged this coming season. The only two things I expect to differ is the amount that both RPOs and the pistol are used. 

Thank you for the input, coach, and I'm intrigued by the return of the pistol...I'm not too sure many other fans will be though haha.

On 1/30/2023 at 4:43 PM, Charles Fischer said:

What I do like about Stein's offense that I've heard from other sources, is how he likes to throw deep downfield often during a game. Power-running to bring more defenders in the box, and then get the one-one-one matchups on the WRs.  

Fun article Joshua, and THANKS.

Absolutely, I'm beyond thrilled about the Stein offense!

Great article, Joshua.....thanks for the insights!  A few posters have highlighted concerns with the new O line alongside scheme tweaks and I worry about those too.

Another concern is the TE room. Now that Cam and Moliki have transferred, we are down to 3 guys.  One is a frosh, another is injury prone (missed 2 straight years) and the third had a lot of snaps but wasn't a regular starter in Ferguson.

If Harbor joins, he is a fourth guy, but also a freshman.  Granted a 5 star freshman. Joshua's article highlights Stein's different approach with TE's.....he likes them split out more.   That makes me feel better about the thin TE depth, because our body types are better suited to wide splits and route running more so than blocking.  The exception might be Herbert who is 250+lbs.

Even if Harbor commits, I would like to see a transfer portal TE added to make it a 5 man TE room. I could see one or two of the DL or DB guys transferring out after Spring ball to free up the schollies.

On 1/30/2023 at 2:07 PM, Drake said:

All eyes will be on our defensive line and the strides they make to improve upon their ability to pressure the QB. That stat will dictate whether this team gets itself back into the conference championship game. 

This along with fixing the secondary issues.  We need some physical safeties that disrupt routes, timing, make the QB have to wait.  When we play physical on the receivers, we buy time for our DL to get into the QB's zip code!

Second on the list, QB depth.  Need a capable back up, no more excuses.  If Bo runs a lot, the injury at the end of the season, kills the offense.  See Dennis Dixon, Vernon Adams Jr and Bo Nix.  Don't wait for a back up plan after the QB goes down.

I recall that in Eric Boles' analysis it was stated that in one of Stein's standard RPO plays the second option (used if the player who is "read" commits to the inside run) is a pitch or throw to the H=back/Tight End, not a keep by the QB. 

This kind of play design should reduce risk and wear & tear to Bo. 

Of course, these plays always look good in Mr. Boles' diagrams. 

I feel pretty confident in our offense although cohesiveness on the O-line could be an issue, especially if Klemm leaves.

That said, our "skill" position players are loaded with talent and experience with the possible exception of depth at tight end.

We need to keep Nix healthy, the offense was completely different after he got injured.  Let's start by blowing some teams out and letting him rest in the 4th quarter!

• Go Ducks! 1

On 1/31/2023 at 10:59 AM, noDucknewby said:

I feel pretty confident in our offense although cohesiveness on the O-line could be an issue, especially if Klemm leaves.

That said, our "skill" position players are loaded with talent and experience with the possible exception of depth at tight end.

We need to keep Nix healthy, the offense was completely different after he got injured.  Let's start by blowing some teams out and letting him rest in the 4th quarter!

The fourth quarter rest would be good for Nix, but also give more of a cahnce of development for others in the QB room.

Give Ty a chance to run the offense with the full offense on the table when he comes in for a whole quarter, or if it's the freshman same thing. 

If Nix is going to run the ball, we have to expect him to occasionally get ding up some. One or both of the other guys have to be ready. Reps in practice are one thing, but you have to have real game reps to be ready when the time comes.

• Thumbs Up 1

You framed the topic nicely, Joshua. Thank you.