NJDuck

Live Updates: Nyckoles Harbor to South Carolina

The big items of the day for Oregon are twofold.

First, can the Oregon Ducks pull off the late push and secure the commitment and signing of Nyckoles Harbor, a 5-star athlete who is hoping to compete at tight end on the football field and also in track. The Ducks are also viewed as one of the favorites to land 4-star cornerback Rodrick Pleasant out of California. Pleasant is also a track star and is looking to parlay football and track together at his college choice. Then there is 5-star tight end Duce Robinson, who has been leaning to Georgia but the Ducks continue to try and land him as well.

247SPORTS.COM

Welcome to Signing Day Central - your home for Oregon Duck football recruiting Wednesday, the first day of college football's early signing period.

According to ESPN recruiting rankings.  Pac-12 is only behind the SEC with 6 teams in the top 30.

Conference rankings

ACC:
1. Miami (5)
2. Clemson (10)
3. Florida State (18)
4. North Carolina (29)
5. Louisville (33)
6. NC State (39)
7. Pittsburgh (47)
8. Boston College (49)
9. Wake Forest (51)
10. Duke (52)
11. Virginia Tech (53)
12. Georgia Tech (55)
13. Virginia (68)
14. Syracuse (unranked)

Big 12:
1. Texas (3)
2. Oklahoma (4)
3. TCU (19)
4. Texas Tech (24)
5. Baylor (35)
6. Kansas State (40)
7. Iowa State (42)
8. West Virginia (43)
9. Oklahoma State (61)
10. Kansas (69)

Big Ten:
1. Ohio State (8)
2. Penn State (13)
3. Michigan (17)
4. Nebraska (25)
5. Michigan State (26)
6. Maryland (34)
7. Illinois (41)
8. Iowa (44)
9. Northwestern (46)
10. Wisconsin (48)
11. Minnesota (54)
12. Rutgers (57)
13. Purdue (63)
14. Indiana (74)

Pac-12:
1. Oregon (9)
2. USC (14)
3. Utah (20)
4. Colorado (23)
5. Washington (28)
6. UCLA (30)
7. Stanford (33)
8. Arizona (36)
9. Oregon State (58)
10. Arizona State (59)
11. Washington State (66)
12. California (75)

SEC:
1. Alabama (1)
2. Georgia (2)
3. LSU (6)
4. Florida (11)
5. Texas A&M (12)
6. Tennessee (15)
7. South Carolina (16)
8. Auburn (21)
9. Arkansas (22)
10. Mississippi State (27)
11. Ole Miss (30)
12. Kentucky (37)
13. Missouri (38)
14. Vanderbilt (50)

Insiders have suggested a shift towards Oregon. Luckily, we’ll find out about both Harbor and Pleasant between 10-11am PST.

-9acO62j_normal.jpg

Brad Crawford

@BCrawford247
.@SWiltfong247's latest on Nyckoles Harbor ... 'I think late conversations w/ Dan Lanning & the Oregon staff, the track staff has put Oregon in good position. I said SC needed to hold advantage for 23 hours (Tues) and last night I said Oregon needed to hold it for 11 hours.'

National Signing Day 2023: Oregon 'in good position for' 5-star Nyckoles Harbor, over South Carolina.

It has been reported that Duce Robinson may not decide and sign today.  This may go another month or two as Josh Connely did last year.

In that case Oregon would have a better chance…

Mr. FishDuck

On 2/1/2023 at 8:20 AM, Charles Fischer said:

This may go another month or two as Josh Connely did last year.

In that case Oregon would have a better chance…

I totally agree, this may indicate that he's waiting to see where some of the other prospects sign to see how it might effect his options.  Unfortunately the only factor that I can think of that might fluctuate is NIL.  It's also possible that he's weighing distance and he's truly torn over where to commit.  Let's hope it's distance and not $$$.

Well, Hopkins, is right in that if his predictions are true, Oregon would sure be in the national headlines in a big way today.

It would be quite the bonus!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Let's hope Dan Lanning is doing this at the end of the day....

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I am holding my breath, but this is significant....

USC Prediction.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

Charles, that makes me wonder if, in general, recruits let the winning schools know in advance about their decisions. Or, do coaches find out by watching the the announcements along with everyone else?

On 2/1/2023 at 9:41 AM, jrw said:

Charles, that makes me wonder if, in general, recruits let the winning schools know in advance about their decisions. Or, do coaches find out by watching the the announcements along with everyone else?

Both happen, hard to know what each will do.

Mr. FishDuck

Now Steve Wiltfong of 247 is saying that the buzz at Harbor's high school right now is for South Carolina this morning, and he has made that prediction as well.

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

James Crepea tweeted that both Harbor and Pleasant will announce from 10-11am. Then DL holds a press conference at 11.

Why would Lanning hold a presser at 11 if there were only bad news to talk about? 

• Thumbs Up 1

It is official: Harbor to South Carolina.

It is frustrating, in that the new track facility should be pulling in precisely this type of player.  Yet, we came in late in this recruiting, and it was quite the ride and fun.

Bottom line? Both players today are not essential in this class; what was FAR more important were the two portal offensive linemen signed for next year.  They will be in every offensive play.

Tough one to take...

200.gif

• Yikes! 1
  • Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

In shocking news, girlfriends are still undefeated in recruiting. 

Edited by GeotechDuck
  • Haha 4
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Who knows what the future holds. Girlfriends and boyfriends are often so transient and in many ways Oregon would have been a better match. Good luck to the young man. My prediction Pleasant to USC. 

Maybe Harbor didn't want to play second fiddle to Pleasant on the track. 

Olympic aspirations and South Carolina seem like a poor match, given the Gamecocks' record in t&fricken, but young men follow their hearts.

Would have been fun to watch, but this is still a huge class signing!

Yep, track and Olympics must not have been as a high as a priority as he mentioned.  South Carolina track and field team is not good.

• Thumbs Up 2

Pleasant to Oregon. Nice. 

I wish he had picked the Ducks, but I’m glad to see he repping Bojangles. They got some good chicken and the biscuits are always fresh.

image.jpeg.5f905d5f4cc505c1c4f2e10e6b6aaccf.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

When I heard that Harbors family wanted him to stay back east. I felt that was the straw that was going to break the back of the Oregon decision down. 
  I personally think he made the wrong decision not to come to Oregon. He was a perfect fit for Oregon and NIKE. Got to move on now. 
It is good Pleasant decided to come to Oregon. I bet USC is fuming about that!

• Thumbs Up 2

This hurts.....because having 2, count them, 2-5* WR for Bo would have been dizzying to say the least. However, Cozart and Dickey and possibly Sadiq is no slouch in the receiver room. 

Pleasants speed is breathtaking. Not bummed about Harbor but that would have been mesmerizing to have him come here. 

This recruiting class is mind numbing. 

20-4*+ kids signing NLI

5-4* transfers.

25 kids 4*+ coming in with 2 of those 5*. 

Are you stinking kidding me???!!!!!!!!!

Utah and U$C is the only other teams in the top 25 for recruiting and its not close. 

On 2/1/2023 at 10:10 AM, Charles Fischer said:

It is frustrating, in that the new track facility should be pulling in precisely this type of player.

Honestly, geography matters.  South Carolina is down I-95 from his Mom and Dad and Eugene is a long flight.  We are absolutely going to lose some of these.

In the era of transfer portal it's also good to remind ourselves that recruitment doesn't end until eligibility runs out...  

It's still a good day for the Ducks and even better a crap day for USC!!!!

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

It'll be interesting if Pleasant somehow becomes a legit Olympic hopeful while Harbour twiddles his thumbs on the couch at SC while giving his mom and girlfriend the side eye...

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Something tells me this story will be continued in next year’s portal.

• Applause 1

After a year to explore the talent ( college girls ) he may want to leap to another level of life. Like new girlfriend or new track coach or new football program. This seems like a backwards step for a kid with elite talent. Transfer portal is probably in his future sooner than later.

• Thumbs Up 1

I’ve been to Williams-Brice Stadium for a game. It’s a pretty awesome atmosphere. They also have really good facilities. USC just needed the right coach to get them back to at least where Spurrier had them. I think Beamer is that guy. Add in the fact that Columbia is a bigger city and I could see why he chose them. 

His parents might be happy until they have to deal with that post-game traffic as regular fans. If they thought a cross country flight was long just wait until they try to get back out to the interstate after a Gamecock home game. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Another case where mom and the girlfriend win again. Really hard to win against those pressures.

But keep in mind we may see Harbor again through the transfer portal. Granted five stars are a lot rarer in the portal because they usually get plenty of playing time and eyeballs on them. 

Ran across this funny post...appropriate for this thread.

You will need to click, maybe twice, to see entire post.

• Haha 2

I don't think a lot of track athletes pick Oregon anymore .  Look at the distance runners for Oregon  don't see a one that is world  class .  

On 2/1/2023 at 3:31 PM, Duck Fan 76 said:

Honestly, geography matters.  South Carolina is down I-95 from his Mom and Dad and Eugene is a long flight.  We are absolutely going to lose some of these.

In the era of transfer portal it's also good to remind ourselves that recruitment doesn't end until eligibility runs out...  

It's still a good day for the Ducks and even better a crap day for USC!!!!

I don't know, have you ever made that drive on I 95 from the Maryland subs to Columbia SC. I'd much rather fly to Oregon.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

A couple of observations regarding this thread (solely my opinions of course).

It is not real clear to me that Harbor is really a football player.  I am told that this is the reason Georgia did not recruit him. Of course, he may prove me and the Georgia staff wrong, but my point is that Harbor may be a far bigger loss as a track athlete than as a football player, ranking be damned.

Second, and again I could be wrong, but I think Oregon has no shot with Duce Robinson. Current projections are that he is, at best, a second or third rounder in the baseball draft so he'll probably play some college football but doesn't want to sign for fear it could hurt his baseball draft position. The draft is not until  June.

Georgia has led for Robinson for some time, and the other most likely option, USC may have become less likely after the commitment of TE Lyons to 'SC this afternoon. Of course the distant third for his college commitment is Texas, but with the NIL deals that school is offering, they are never off the table these days.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/1/2023 at 8:31 PM, OhioDuck said:

I don't know, have you ever made that drive on I 95 from the Maryland subs to Columbia SC. I'd much rather fly to Oregon.

Hahaha, great point... I would make that drive from midnight to 8AM only especially the first bit out of DC.

On 2/1/2023 at 10:31 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

Second, and again I could be wrong, but I think Oregon has no shot with Duce Robinson.

I think Duce is waiting out to see what his projections for being selected in the MLB Draft.  It high enough--he'll play Baseball.  If not, he'll circle back to who is still interested for football and has room.  (IMHO)

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

The Oregon Ducks are routinely at the Cross Country, In-Door and Out-Door Track Championships as a team every year.  South Carolina hasn't made it as a team since 2015.  They are nearly the worst team in the SEC as a track team.  He didn't choose South Carolina for track reasons.

The last South Carolina Olympian was 2012.  The Ducks have had 9 different Olympians since 2012.

Robinson will have no problem finding a home at Georgia should he play college football. And although Georgia has recruited a mid-level 4 star and a high level 4-star as TEs in this 23 class, they are freshmen and the loss of Darnell Washington was huge. 

Bottom line: Duce likes Georgia and is a good bet to be a Dawg should he play football. He  knows he has a spot there regardless of when he decides to show up. He will be a "flex" tight end most likely in the mold of Brock Bowers (who returns) with roughly the height but not the girth of Darnell Washington. Whoever gets him will have a Dude!

I drove a few hours on I95, 25 years ago, on a Sunday... it was one of my worst experiences behind the wheel ever... PERIOD.

Lose 1 to USC(e). Win 1 from USC(w.)

On 2/2/2023 at 11:54 AM, Tandaian said:

The Oregon Ducks are routinely at the Cross Country, In-Door and Out-Door Track Championships as a team every year.  South Carolina hasn't made it as a team since 2015.  They are nearly the worst team in the SEC as a track team.  He didn't choose South Carolina for track reasons.

The last South Carolina Olympian was 2012.  The Ducks have had 9 different Olympians since 2012.

Closer to home reasons.