Quaaack! Pleasant Commits to Oregon!

Just saw it on ESPN.

image.jpeg.1e80e0624e4c43bebc870c59dea2ad10.jpeg

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

This is a bigger get, in some ways, than Harbor would have been.

Certainly a bigger need on the defensive side.

247 is reporting it as well.  Greg Biggins of 247 offers this information...

In a decision that went down the wire, Gardena (Calif.) Serra defensive backs Rodrick Pleasant just announced he’ll play his college ball for Oregon.

Pleasant had a final five of Boston College, Cal, Oregon, UCLA and USC but it really came down to the Ducks and Trojans.

Just how close was this race? We talked to Pleasant Tuesday and he was still wrestling with the decision. In fact, he didn’t lock it in until earlier this morning.

So how did the Ducks pull this out?

“I have a great relationship with the coaches and they really recruited me hard throughout this process,” Pleasant said. “I felt really connected with the staff and not just one or two coaches but everyone there.

“I’ve known coach Meat (Demetrice Martin, DB coach) for a long time, that’s my guy right there. I used to run track against Cole (Demetrice Martin’s son) when we were young and he has been recruiting me since I was a freshman.”

Pleasant said Dan Lanning, Tosh Lupoi and Rashad Wadood were all involved as well.

TrojanSports - Relationship between USC, 4-star CB Rodrick Pleasant 'going  really well'

“Coach Lanning is a great guy and whenever we talked, he always emphasized how much they want me,” Pleasant said. “They see me as a game changer and a player they want to get snaps not just on defense but offense and returning kicks."

“I still remember my official visit there and how much Oregon opened my eyes. That was when I knew Oregon could be home for me. I loved the atmosphere and the fan support. Oregon really has everything you need to be successful and they put so much in to the athletes, that was big for me.”

Pleasant is one of the nation’s top sprinters and will double sport for the Ducks. His 10.14-100m and 20.40-200m times are the fastest returning times in the country. Although track didn’t play as big a role in his decision as some have speculated, the Ducks prestigious program definitely didn’t hurt their chances here either. 

“Oregon is Track Town USA and they have the best facilities in the country,” Pleasant said. “At Oregon, they really encourage you to double sport and that was great. They love two sport athletes there and the football coaches were adamant about me doing both.

Serra's Rodrick Pleasant turns in another big day at CIF-SS Masters Meet

"I met all the track coaches on my visit and I like them a lot. Academically, I was surprised that Oregon has a strong Business program too and that's what I plan to major in. When I looked at everything that was important to me, relationship with the coaches, playing time, comfort level on campus, academic fit, being a two-sport athlete, Oregon checked off every box for me."

Pleasant plans to run track in the spring at Serra, which is why he waited until February to sign his letter of intent. “I’m not an early enrollee so I never felt an urgency to commit or sign early,” Pleasant said. “Plus this was a really hard decision and I needed all the time I could get. 

“I don’t know how some of these guys in the ’24 class have already decided. So much can happen between now and when you sign so I’m glad I waited and I’m comfortable that I made the best decision for me.”

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Going 1-1 on big time athletes is a good place to be for the Ducks. Also beating USC is always a good thing. 

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I wish I had been as thoughtful when I was 18 as Pleasant seems to be. 

• Thumbs Up 1

"Recruiting me since I was a freshman." 

I believe that is the difference between the Pleasant/Harbor recruitments, as Oregon was in there late with Harbor--while South Carolina had been recruiting him for years. 

(Well, that and the girlfriend...)

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

On 2/1/2023 at 11:03 AM, Charles Fischer said:

"Recruiting me since I was a freshman." 

I believe that is the difference between the Pleasant/Harbor recruitments, as Oregon was in there late with Harbor--while South Carolina had been recruiting him for years. 

(Well, that and the girlfriend...)

giphy.gif

Very likely the case.

Pleasant is a tremendous athlete. Looks like another Ifo, Ugo or Demo but with better wheels. The DB room is now stacked for Coach Meat.

And U$C gets stiffed again by the Ducks. Bonus!

I believe the young lady in the photo below is Brazil Neal, California sprint champ who is also headed to Eugene.

WWW.DAILYBREEZE.COM

Take a look at the Daily Breeze All-Area girls track and field team for the 2022 season. Serra’s Neal, a state champion in the 200, is the athlete of the year.

• Thumbs Up 1

I recall how Oregon WR Samie Parker once held that record.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Careful Charles... You're showing our seniority!

WATCH: Rivals analysts react to four-star CB Rodrick Pleasant picking Ducks

If you were unable to watch his commitment ceremony at his high school, there is a link for you to see it in the posting.

Rivals' Woody Wommack and national recruiting director Adam Gorney reacted to the Ducks' big recruiting win here:

OREGON.RIVALS.COM

Oregon won one of the major recruiting battles decided on National Signing Day .

Feels right with what Roderick wants out of our University. It seems football is number one, and track is frosting on the cake. He also has academics on his priority list which important. 

Seemed like Harbor had three things which were a priority.  I wish him well, but that will be a hard thing to pull off. I suppose it was 4 things, but oh well.

It also looks like he could line up out wide and cause a defense problems when we need him. Almost seems like a DAT type of player on returns. It is nice he is focused on defense where he looks like a gamer, closer!

• Thumbs Up 2

WATCH Breaking down Oregon's 2023 recruiting class | National Signing Day

247Sports' Blair Angulo, Greg Biggins, and Brandon Huffman give their thoughts on

Oregon's recruiting class heading into Dan Lanning's second season.

247SPORTS.COM

247Sports' Blair Angulo, Greg Biggins, and Brandon Huffman give their thoughts on Oregon's recruiting class heading into Dan...

This pleases me . . . a lot! 😃

Can't wait to see what he brings to the football team, as well as on the track.  And he seems to be a smart young man who "has his head screwed on straight", as they say!

Welcome Rodrick!

And Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

Rodrick Pleasant Breaks Down Oregon Commitment

The addition of Rodrick Pleasant gives Oregon the two highest-rated defensive backs

in California from the 2023 recruiting class.

The decision was not one he made lightly, picking his future home on his birthday.

"I just wanted to make the right decision. It's been a lot going through this process and

I just want to be happy," Pleasant said.

Click here to read the article by Max Torres of Ducks Digest.

Class Impact: Oregon Beats USC for Rodrick Pleasant

This is a commitment that sent shockwaves up and down the Pac-12, as Dan Lanning and company plucked another top recruit right out of USC's backyard. Lanning wasn't the only coach involved here, as Southern California natives Demetrice Martin and Rashad Wadood also deserve a ton of praise.

His commitment also gives the Ducks some juice with another promisign defensive back, his teammate Dakoda Fields. Fields one of the best in the 2024 class and recently hauled in offers from Alabama, Georgia and Ohio State.

To read the article from Max Torres, click here.

• Go Ducks! 1