Charles Fischer

Mario Lost His OC, and now his Defensive Coordinator Too?

This is the DC who gave up 45 points (each) against Florida State, Duke and Middle Tennessee State?  Only Mike Riley (to Nebraska) can fail upward as good...

• Wow 1
  • Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

I'm sure Mario is taking it well...

giphy.gif

• Cool 1
  • Haha 4

Mr. FishDuck

Starting to appear that Mario’s sales pitch fails once you’re older than about 18. 

How many coordinators has this guy gone through now between Oregon and Miami? At this point is any decent coach really going to put up with his act? I don't think so. He's flaming out faster than Slick Willie at FSU. I've said it before his ego and pride are his own worst enemies. Good guy and family man but this isn't the days of Woody Hayes and Bear Bryant anymore.

There's an old saying that goes something like "If everyone else is always the problem maybe the problem isn't everyone else". What a dumpster fire and thank you Miami for getting him out of here!

• Whew! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mario Cristobal loses another coordinator: Is Miami HC the next Scott Frost?

The former Miami offensive lineman achieved great success previously leading the Oregon Ducks. Though College Football Playoff berths evaded him in Eugene, Oregon went to Rose Bowls and competed for Pac-12 Championships under his guidance.

However, he went 5-7 at his alma mater in year one, had to fire offensive coordinator Josh Gattis and just saw Steele walk for a better job.

We are years away from Cristobal turning into Frost, but things are getting a bit chilly in Miami.

It sounds absolutely absurd to say this, but could Cristobal be on the hot seat in year two already?

This article is from Miami football site...I think some are starting to see through the Mario antics.

FANSIDED.COM

Mario Cristobal loses yet another coordinator at Miami, as he approaches Scott Frost territory. With Kevin Steele leaving Miami...

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

I enjoyed reading that WAY too much!

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I liked this nugget from the fansided article "Leaving the Big 12 for the Big Ten crippled recruiting.".  May a similar fate be on the horizon for our traitorous LA friends.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mario gets a Mulligan Year, thanks to Nick Saban.  Take advantage of your Free Drop Mario.

Lots of reasons to criticize MC, but losing his DC isn't one of them.  I would have to guess nearly every defensive coach in the land would think long and hard about getting to work at Alabama, and Steele knows Saban well.  

• Thumbs Up 3

There are still things to enjoy during this quiet time in college football. Oklahoma's new coach out recruiting Riley at sc, brings joy to my heart. MariØ losing assistants just further confirms how lucky we were.                                                                                                                                                    It would have been nice to have seen the dawgs lose their OC, but we are going to need some good competition in the new Pac-? conference.  As much fun as it was to watch the dawgs go 0-fer, it will be even more fun to break their hearts going forward.

• Applause 1

On 2/6/2023 at 4:18 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

Lots of reasons to criticize MC, but losing his DC isn't one of them.  I would have to guess nearly every defensive coach in the land would think long and hard about getting to work at Alabama, and Steele knows Saban well.  

Valid point Kurt and I would agree with you if this was a just a one-off. I think every coach in college football would consider Alabama. However, there is a pattern here with Mario and his coordinators especially on the offensive side. A lot of people thought Gattis was overrated but how do you go from being an award-winning coach to being either fired or quitting in 1 year depending on who you ask? Do I need to bring up Moorhead?

I'm just saying dude needs to look in the mirror and ask why this keeps happening Alabama or no Alabama. Nobody like to go to work and be screamed at or not listened to.

• Thumbs Up 1

The donors in Miami have to be looking at this like the lit fuse on a firework that just fell sideways pointing towards the rest of them. While the fire from the fuse is small, it is very visible and there is likely little anybody can do to stop it from eventually blowing up in their faces.

A 10-year 80 mil contract will make it hard for Miami to walk away this early.  I'm not sure if there is a buyout or if it was 100% guaranteed.  I feel like Miami is on the hook for the full 80 mil.

Having one of the top doners as a shirttail relative (inlaw?) certainly adds to job security.

How about the UW OC saying 'NO' to Saint Nick who ended up with IMO the uninspiring hire of Tommy Rees from Notre Dame. 

It is reported that the UW OC, Grubb, will be paid $2M in 2023, the highest assistant coaching salary in the conference. I'm afraid UW is starting to 'get it?'

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Yikes! 1

On 2/5/2023 at 6:47 PM, Charles Fischer said:

This is the DC who gave up 45 points (each) against Florida State, Duke and Middle Tennessee State?  Only Mike Riley (to Nebraska) can fail upward as good...

The title of this thread says "Maria lost his OC..." I know that's just a typo but the 12-year-old me thinks that is hilarious and great smack talk.

Well, if Alabama comes calling, not many can say no...   I am not sure this reflects poorly on "Maria", as much as we dislike the snail oil salesman now.

This guy was just hired by Tulane and is already leaving for Miami?

More movement at Miami as Charlie Strong moves on.  Also didn't realize Mario also lost his QB coach after firing the OC.

https://footballscoop.com/news/charlie-strong-reportedly-will-not-return-at-miami

• Oh no! 1
  • Yikes! 1

There clearly is truth to the 'whispers' that Mario is very  hard to work for.   People who live by the axiom that 'it's my way or the highway' USUALLY quickly learn that doesn't work.  Apparently it's taking Mario some time to figure that one out, or as stated above he is choosing to look away from what he sees in the mirror.   

I heard a conversation in the club at Autzen last fall that I recounted as I read this thread. A couple of donors  were talking and one of them commented that the conventional wisdom is that no one inside the HDC misses Mario for the simple reason he was very hard to work with in all aspects.   Fact or fiction, don't know but I remember thinking about it as I was commuting back to PDX after the game.

• Thanks 1

On 2/10/2023 at 9:49 AM, Augduck said:

There clearly is truth to the 'whispers' that Mario is very  hard to work for.   People who live by the axiom that 'it's my way or the highway' USUALLY quickly learn that doesn't work.

I think a big portion of it has to do with the recruiting side of things too. It is a lot of work to recruit a top ten class and Cristobal has been able to achieve this at both Oregon and Miami. He does work hard and is an incredible recruiter. 

I think when you pair the hard work of recruiting with the clashes on scheme and game planning it makes him really difficult to work for... but he does still have those around him that have stayed with him and will continue to stick with him so it is certainly all about finding his guys... but the problem for him is that are there even enough qualified coaches out there who fit his mold and would want to work with him? I doubt it. 

Rees as OC and Steele as DC are both head-scratching hires by Saint Nick. Headed into 2023 Alabama is ranked 125 out of 133 FBS schools in returning on-field production.

As for Mario, your record is what you are. He's a .500 recruiting champ, coaching chump HC.

I like the Ducks 'new guy.' He can recruit up there with Mario and to date, he has a record of 10-3.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Like 1