Babyjesus615

BREAKING: Adrian Klemm Leaves Ducks For New England Patriots

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

Per a report from ESPN's Pete Thamel, Adrian Klemm is leaving Oregon to take a new coaching job with the New England Patriots.

• Oh no! 2
  • Wow 1

(explicative censored!)

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Report: Oregon OL coach Adrian Klemm leaving Ducks to join New England Patriots staff

For the third time since the end of the 2022 regular season, one of Dan Lanning’s key assistant coaches is departing the Oregon program.

Adrian Klemm, who served as the Ducks’ associate head coach and offensive line coach in 2022, will leave Lanning’s staff to join the New England Patriots, according to a report from Pete Thamel of ESPN.

Klemm interviewed last month to become New England’s offensive coordinator. The franchise ultimately opted to hire former Alabama offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien in that role but circled back to add Klemm this week.

This is a massive blow, no sugar-coating it.

The young men he recruited are going to feel very betrayed.

• Oh no! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Lanning should be on a plane to Salt Lake City as soon as yesterday. Jim Harding (offensive line coach at Utah) has the line playing as a top unit in the country, and my guess is he would be in for a substantial pay bump to bring his services to Eugene.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Who has the updated chart?  I need to review this...

On 2/6/2023 at 8:46 AM, Babyjesus615 said:

Lanning should be on a plane to Salt Lake City as soon as yesterday. Jim Harding (offensive line coach at Utah) has the line playing as a top unit in the country, and my guess is he would be in for a substantial pay bump to bring his services to Eugene.

I would be shocked if Lanning hasn't already called those on his short list about their interest in the job. Lanning knew Klemm was leaving before we learned of it, as that is usually the case. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 2/6/2023 at 8:46 AM, Babyjesus615 said:

Or the offensive line coach at Oregon State?

Mr. FishDuck

Look at this stupid comment from Scott Eklund.

He is commentator for Dawgman.com, writer for UW 247Sports, considered Husky insider.

You need to click on tweet to see his comments at the top, for whatever reason, it doesn't show up on original.

• Haha 2

Ok this bites, I guess maybe DL wasn't entirely forthright when saying he didn't "anticipate" any more staff changes at his recruiting presser.  Maybe that was just wishful thinking on his part.

Regardless, he clearly has seen this coming and already has good short list.

As a Duck fan I'm glad he waited until after the recruiting class was signed to make this move, but from a players perspective it seems a little backhanded.  If the players are restricted to certain windows to enter the transfer portal, then it seems only fair that coaches should have similar restrictions IMHO.  Yeah I know life ain't fair, but this has always bothered me. 

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

DL put together a very good staff in his first year as a HC. Not surprised that Klemm went back to the NFL, a tough loss for the Ducks, coupled with bad timing. 

DL is being tested early on the juggling act of being a head coach. 

Karma for our snarky enjoyment of all the turnover at Miami?

• Yikes! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I didn't think about it at the time, but it usually is odd for coach to make a lateral move from the NFL to college.  Klemm was the offensive line coach for the Steelers in 2021.

BUMMER! But in today's environment who wants to recruit when you can coach in the pros, make the same or more money and not have to recruit 24/7 including recruiting your own players so they don't transfer out?

Time to go poaching AGAIN.

Pretty sure DL already had a head start on names once Klemm was in the running as OC a couple of weeks ago.

In more breaking news, Dan Lanning has told Mari0 Cristobal that he is NOT under consideration for the OL coaching position when his job at Miami comes to an abrupt and inauspicious end....

Edited by Ktmguy2018
  • Haha 8
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Klemm was slated to get $850,000 this year.  Toss is the roughly $200,000 buyout of his contract and Lanning has a lot of salary dollars to lure another candidate. 

Oregon also saved a couple hundred thousand on the Will Stein/Dilly swap.  Wonder if they will use some of it to bump up Carlos Locklyn  who seems underpaid at $175,000?

• Thumbs Up 1

This is a very short podcast from Max Torres of Ducks Digest

Adrian Klemm Leaving Oregon to Join New England Patriots

I'm happy for Coach Klemm and his family. Good for them!  Anytime you get a shot in the NFL you have to take it. I think if we are all honest, we knew sooner or later this would probably happen, but it is a bummer definitely. I guess it's better now than later. I'd like to think the OL recruits who signed chose Oregon for more than just 1 coach but to me if that's a dealbreaker cool, there are a lot of kids who would love to come play for this team. I have all the confidence that DL will get someone who is more than qualified. Go Ducks! 

This definitely hurts the program but I agree that coach Klemm is deserving of his shot in the NFL.  I'm pretty sure he got feedback in the OC interview that he needs more NFL coaching experience if he wants to be an NFL OC.  Sure he can get there from college but he would need college OC experience and that's just another move (or two).  This move makes perfect sense for the coach and I think he will do well in NE.  

I'm thinking that he had to have been honest with most of the recruits that this was a possibility but he also had the ability to share some confidence in DL's ability to hire his replacement.  This is a very big hire for DL to get right.  The O-line has the talent but they need a SOLID position coach to keep them growing. 

The recruiting capabilities are also super important as the seasons go on... it's going to be tough to find someone with both high level development and recruiting skillsets but DL has done a pretty good job of talent acquisition so far.  Talent acquisition is one of the dimensions we should judge his head coaching abilities by so here's hoping he brings his A-game yet again..

Edited by Duck Fan 76

Hate to see it but with the silver lining that not only players make the jump but so do coaches. Next!

• Thumbs Up 1

Opinion: Ducks' coaching turnover is not a sign of poor hiring — it's the opposite

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Dan Lanning is tasked with making yet another coaching hire this offseason. While fans may be frustrated, it’s a trend that will make Oregon better in the long run.

• Applause 2

Opinion: Ducks' coaching turnover is not a sign of poor hiring — it's the opposite

This is the world of college football right now, and if you’re a good, nationally relevant team that is succeeding on the field and putting players into the NFL, then you are going to have to deal with coaches eventually leaving.

Position coaches will jump to become coordinators; coordinators will jump to become head coaches; sometimes head coaches will jump to the NFL. It’s how the system works in college football. Alabama deals with this, as does Georgia, as does Ohio State.

And if you listen to what he says, this is what Dan Lanning wants as well. He has stated multiple times over the past year that he is always encouraging of his coaches going on to take bigger and better jobs.

He works hard to foster an environment where coaches can work under him, learn a lot, succeed, and move on. That’s how Kirby Smart was with him at Georgia, and that’s how he’s going to be with his coaches at Oregon.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Dan Lanning is tasked with making yet another coaching hire this offseason. While fans may be frustrated, it’s a trend that will...

• Applause 1

How does Adrian Klemm's departure impact the Ducks in both short term and long term?

There are two ways to look at the timing of this announcement: in a positive light or a negative light. Let’s start with the negative first.

So while Klemm left Oregon to go to New England in the middle of their hiring process, it now leaves the Ducks with a vacancy at the OL coaching position with very few candidates available to fill the spot.

Will players want to transfer because of Klemm leaving? Fortunately for the Ducks, this move is taking place in a time period where the transfer portal is not open, and if players did want to leave Eugene to find another team, or another coach to play for, they won’t be able to do so until May 1. That may buy the Ducks some time to be able to make a hire and recruit some of their players to stay.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Adrian Klemm is leaving Oregon to take a coaching position with the New England Patriots. What does that mean for the Ducks...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/7/2023 at 9:46 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

Position coaches will jump to become coordinators; coordinators will jump to become head coaches; sometimes head coaches will jump to the NFL. It’s how the system works in college football. Alabama deals with this, as does Georgia, as does Ohio State.

Exactly.  And this is how it should be.  Which of us still working would turn down a chance at a promotion, more opportunity, better paycheck, etc.?

Many years ago my old boss told me about an open position that would have been a promotion.  I joked that she was trying to get rid of me.  She looked at me very seriously, and said, "My responsibility is to the company and to my staff.  It would be hard to replace you, and cause me a bunch of grief in the short term, but if it would be better for you, you should consider this.  And I would be helping the company by helping someone qualified and competent get into a larger role.  So my employee wins and the company wins.  That's what a good manager should do."  (I didn't apply for the role because it would have meant a move to Columbus.  Ugh.)

It seems Dan Lanning feels the same way (about staff, not necessarily about Columbus).  Good for him.  Staff getting promotions and new roles will also be a huge help in attracting good replacements.  People want to work where they know they'll have a good chance of success.

• Thumbs Up 2

I really would like to know the full story with Klemm, however.  The Steelers' line was awful when he was the OL coach there.  Granted, some of that was lack of talent, but it made me nervous when he quit to take the same role at Oregon.  It made me far more nervous when he left before the end of the season - that's almost unheard of.  I always wondered why - why he wanted to leave before even finishing the year, and why the Steelers were perfectly fine with him leaving while the season was still going and they were fighting for a playoff spot.  The Steelers' OL has been much improved this year - how much of that was a different OL coach, and how much was bringing in two free agent linemen?  Three of the starters were on the team under Klemm when the OL was horrible.

There's a story there, but I have no idea what it is, and with the Steelers and Mike Tomlin being one of the most stable franchises and staffs in the NFL, it really made me wonder.  Now after just one year he leaves Oregon for the same position in the NFL.  Seems like he just keeps moving sideways after a year, which raises doubts.

I guess it's a moot point now, since he's an ex-Duck, but I really would like to know the backstory here.

• Salute 1

Been a Steeler fan since I was a middle school brat in the early 60’s. When Klemm came to Oregon I was extremely concerned since he coached the worst offensive line Pittsburgh has ever had. I am with Rambis in thinking there is something we don’t know behind this story. 

It could be he likes the east coast more. Who knows but I’m confused as to why the Patriots would even consider this guy especially after his track record at Pittsburgh. Belichec surprised me with this one.

• Thumbs Up 1