Haywarduck

Coaching Staff Differences

Not sure if anyone else noticed the dawg staff is much like our old staff, back in the Brooks, Belllotti era. Beboer has a group of loyal assistants and a consistent product to put on the field. There are strengths to this system, but without elite recruiting it won't add up to a title. 

Oregon has moved to new model where we are bringing on coaches who can recruit, and hopefully coach. So far we have the recruiting part down, but it would seem, we need a little more consistency with our coaching?

Maybe just having Lanning for an extended time will allow for the system to be put in place. I am willing to give it 5-6 years, but do hope we can create a core group of coaches who are loyal to Lanning and the university. Maybe it is too much to ask, and we will just go the way of Saban. You just reload coaches and have strong leadership?

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/6/2023 at 5:27 PM, Haywarduck said:

Oregon has moved to new model where we are bringing on coaches who can recruit, and hopefully coach. So far we have the recruiting part down, but it would seem, we need a little more consistency with our coaching?

I feel the coaching side of things last year was pretty good. I mean that offensive line was dominant and they weren't nearly as good under the previous staff. 

Granted... we lost Klemm to NEP. 

Defensive line and linebackers need work but in truth they were also a mess under the previous staff really. 

The secondary has improved quite a bit as the year went on. The secondary usually struggled when the defensive line got zero pressure. 

I think Lanning is figuring out the coaching side of things and I feel like scheme and planning is where the real test will be. 

The old Oregon model is great for building a program... But the problem is that you really need those big recruits to win it all. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Unfortunately, Oregon still has a reputation as a stepping stone school. Outsiders look at the coaches and say:

“If they’re doing great at a place like Oregon then they will be twice as good at our school. Let’s throw a bunch of money at them and lure them away”. 

• Thumbs Up 3

The model of what we had under Belotti where coaches were here for 10 and 15 years is over.

You do not hire coaches these days, you RENT them, and tell them they are either fired for poor performance or they will move up. It is the new reality that we as fans have to adjust to. 

That Lanning has had two coaches moved up from where they were to coordinator and head coach and another going to the NFL goes to show how good at recruiting of coaches he actually is.

The best at it, Nick Saban, has ridiculous turnover nearly every year. It is the way of the world, and you could have mediocre guys on board for a long time, or you could have a turnover of extremely good talent.

What is your choice?

• Thumbs Up 5

Mr. FishDuck

On 2/6/2023 at 5:27 PM, Haywarduck said:

Not sure if anyone else noticed the dawg staff is much like our old staff, back in the Brooks, Belllotti era. Beboer has a group of loyal assistants and a consistent product to put on the field. There are strengths to this system, but without elite recruiting it won't add up to a title. 

Maybe just having Lanning for an extended time will allow for the system to be put in place. I am willing to give it 5-6 years, but do hope we can create a core group of coaches who are loyal to Lanning and the university. Maybe it is too much to ask, and we will just go the way of Saban. You just reload coaches and have strong leadership?

“Maybe it is too much to ask.”

I agree.

I would shocked, in a good way, if Lanning is still coaching the Ducks after 2006.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/6/2023 at 11:40 PM, DUCKED said:

“Maybe it is too much to ask.”

I agree.

I would shocked, in a good way, if Lanning is still coaching the Ducks after 2006.

Oops…..2026

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/6/2023 at 5:52 PM, David Marsh said:

I feel the coaching side of things last year was pretty good. I mean that offensive line was dominant and they weren't nearly as good under the previous staff. 

Granted... we lost Klemm to NEP. 

Defensive line and linebackers need work but in truth they were also a mess under the previous staff really. 

The secondary has improved quite a bit as the year went on. The secondary usually struggled when the defensive line got zero pressure. 

I think Lanning is figuring out the coaching side of things and I feel like scheme and planning is where the real test will be. 

The old Oregon model is great for building a program... But the problem is that you really need those big recruits to win it all. 

I suppose the new equation is get the top recruits, keep the top recruits who develop, and keep recruiting coaches. Seems like Lanning knew what he signed up for, but what a daunting task.

Lanning knew exactly what he hired in Lupoi, a great recruiter who wants to move up. 

I would add to Plaids comment that coaches know if they do well at Oregon they will have greater opportunities. Oregon isn't a career crusher like the majority of schools. Both head coaches, and assistants can move up, and most of the time do. I would like to see a couple guys become Lannings foundational guys. He needs all the help he can get.

On 2/7/2023 at 7:02 AM, Haywarduck said:

I would add to Plaids comment that coaches know if they do well at Oregon they will have greater opportunities. Oregon isn't a career crusher like the majority of schools. Both head coaches, and assistants can move up, and most of the time do. I would like to see a couple guys become Lannings foundational guys. He needs all the help he can get.

I feel we do need some who become long-timers. I think we will probably have Stein and Hampton (both new Coordinators) for a good few years. They are both young and I feel they will probably like to move up into a head coaching job at some point but they just made the leap from G5 to P5 so they probably have a few years before a head coaching opportunity comes around that they want, especially since both programs they came from had successful seasons. 

Dillingham was already a P5 coordinator for a few years before he joined Lanning at Oregon so it is not a complete shocker that he took a P5 HC job when he could. 

I think Martin and Adams could be around for quite awhile if given the right incentives. 

On 2/7/2023 at 8:42 AM, David Marsh said:

I think Martin and Adams could be around for quite awhile if given the right incentives. 

The right incentives in the past were PERS, which are gone. Not sure what the incentives will work now, unless a love of Eugene, and raising children in one stable place is a strong inner value.

I can imagine if the stability, along with the opportunity is a strong enough incentive for Lanning to stay longterm some coaches will latch onto Lanning, knowing what the rest of college football is all about.

It does seem like we have moved on to hiring the hotshot coaches, and the instability which comes from that. I can only see Lanning as maybe the guy who can provide some stability if, and only if what he seems to indicate is true.

We have definitely entered a new coaching world, which is what I wanted to highlight with this discussion.

On the surface it looks like coaches have used Oregon as a stepping stone. I argue that Oregon isn't unique in this. As folks have noted in OBDF before, results speak to the success, or lack thereof, of coaches at their next destination. 

Kelly to Philly (fired) to SF (fired) to UCLA

Helfrich (fired) to Chicago OC (fired) to broadcast booth

Taggart to FSU (fired) to Fla Atl (fired) to Colorado QB/OC

Cristobal to Miami (4-8, fate TBD)

Even the college football bluebloods like Michigan, Texas, TA&M, LSU, and (I hate to admit this) U$C have been coaching destinations with spotty success. Alabama, Georgia, tOSU and Clemson seem to be the exceptions, but even tOSU had Meyer go on to create one of the NFL's biggest dumpster fires at Jax.

Position coaches and coordinators will use any program as a stepping stone and that is true across the board, particularly at Alabama and Georgia. It isn't a matter of loyalty, just upward mobility. Oregon under Brooks and Bellotti was a long term coaching family that was unique then and would be an absolute unicorn now. We will never see that again.

It's possible that DL does well at Oregon and is gone by 2026. It's also just as possible that he stays put and builds a west coast juggernaut ala Kirby Smart/Georgia or Saban/Alabama with repeated playoff runs. Oregon then becomes a similar program that populates HC vacancies nationally because of quality and success. Either way, coaches will come and go.

DL needs to find a good replacement for Klemm. I'll stay optimistic and continue to buy stock in that process. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/7/2023 at 9:32 AM, cartm25 said:

but if Stein orchestrates an offense that scores 40ish points per game I doubt he'll be around that long.

I can see holding onto Stein for 2-3 years reasonably... unless he is so good I'm proven wrong overnight but if that's the case then I guess we had one really good season. 

• Thumbs Up 2

In my fantasy--Dan Lanning will be here until he wins a 'Natty.  Then, he won't go to another college program because Oregon has never won one, thus he proved his college chops doing it here.

I believe that when he leaves--it will be to take on the brightest minds in the NFL.

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck