Charles Fischer

Mariota as Starting QB is "Wait-and-See," says Jon Gruden

This short article discusses the final game of the season coming up for the Raiders where they do not have much to play for, so why not start and play Mariota? On one hand-Gruden has to remain loyal to Carr, but if they want to trade Marcus-showcasing his talents might bring more value?

It is an interesting discussion to ponder, and frankly--I think he should go where he has the best opportunity to play and succeed. Who has a great team in the NFL, but needs a good QB to jumpstart it?  If he is going to be a back-up, I'd rather he be at San Francisco and be the back-up there since they run a lot of what we ran at Oregon when he was with the Ducks.

Thoughts?

Mr. FishDuck

One part of me says let him make a ton of money as a back up so he can save his body and enjoy the rest of his life.

Another part of me wonders if he is happy with a back up role or would he rather be starting. My guess is he would, but he has gotten pretty beat up over the past 5 seasons so who knows.

Either way I enjoy watching him play so I hope Gruden puts him in on Sunday. I will definitely be rooting for him. 

I believe that Gruden will have him on the field Sunday, and I think he'll play well and some other teams will be interested. The Rams, with Goff injured, are going this weekend with an undrafted quarterback, Washington is in dire need of one. FWIW, Marcus is the highest paid back up, and I believe a lot of teams will be interested this offseason. 

25 minutes ago, 30Duck said:

I believe that Gruden will have him on the field Sunday, and I think he'll play well and some other teams will be interested. The Rams, with Goff injured, are going this weekend with an undrafted quarterback, Washington is in dire need of one. FWIW, Marcus is the highest paid back up, and I believe a lot of teams will be interested this offseason. 

That would be fun, to have 2 Duck QBs playing in LA. 🙂

Annie!  So great to see you here, as so many of the "gang" are slowly migrating over.

Gosh it would be cool to have both on the West Coast like that...

Marcus Mariota_Kevin Cline.jpg

One of my favorite photos of him because of the colorful background and the classic fall "golden-haze" color of sunlight.

And of all things--this was the Fresno State game where the other quarterback was....wait for it....Derek Carr!

Mr. FishDuck

Gruden is kidding only hurting himself if he stays loyal to Carr blindly. Mariota is healed and can change any offense that is ready to embrace his skill set. 

The Raiders should either use him and embrace his skills or trade him to free up space monitarily and let Mariota go free ... Probably to come back and haunt the raiders. 

Tenn wanted Mariota to be a prototypical prostyle quarterback and gave him a garbage offensive line to do it... And it didn't work. 

Though from all accounts Mariota was an incredible scout team quarterback.as he was able to replicate duel threat quarterbacks better than the actual quarterbacks Tenn actually played. 

Gruden is said to really like MM. As we saw in that last game, Gruden also knows how to give Marcus what he needs to succeed as far as scheme is concerned. He also has the beef to protect Mariota. All that said, I don´t like MM leaving. He would have played more if he stayed healthy... MM´s only problem with staying anywhere.