Pennsylvania Duck

Women's Basketball: 2/12/23 Ducks @ No. 18 UCLA (Ducks LOSE 57-67)

Resume-building opportunities beginning to dwindle for struggling Ducks

As has been the trend during this stretch of struggles, the fourth quarter has become a treacherous one. With the game on the line, the team went nearly seven minutes without a point on Friday. That stretch featured eight missed shots and two turnovers, as USC pulled away.

What was most irksome to Graves is how the team handles adversity. Oregon's coach sees the team seemingly resigned to its fate the moment the game gets tough.  

Graves described Friday's game as "winnable". He'd be right. The Ducks led by double-figures for much of the first half and even threatened late if not for missed free throws in the closing minutes and an inability to possess 50-50 balls. 

247SPORTS.COM

Resume-building opportunities beginning to dwindle for struggling Ducks

Ducks seek first win in February against No. 18 UCLA

The slumping Ducks will look to gain some much needed momentum on the road at UCLA on Sunday afternoon. 

Oregon (14-10, 5-8) has dropped its last four games to fall into a tie with Washington for eighth place in the conference. The Ducks still have a path to an at-large NCAA Tournament berth but must finish strong over the final five games in Pac-12 play with the next three being played on the road.

247SPORTS.COM

Live WBB Updates: Ducks seek first win in February against No. 18 UCLA

I was at the game and was underwhelmed. 

Gray was the only Duck who looked like she wanted to win. 

Rogers got her points but looked bored. 

Ducks couldn’t run a basic pick and roll or even get the ball in bounds. And they looked out of shape.

When you have great players playing w this attitude and lack of fundamentals, it reflects poor coaching. 

Frankly, I have never been a fan of Kelly Graves, and if this season gets him fired, then at least something good will have come from it. 

UCLA’s post, Bessior, was the diff in the game—4 3-pointers, 3 in the 4th quarter to put the game away.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/12/2023 at 5:08 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

When you have great players playing w this attitude and lack of fundamentals, it reflects poor coaching. 

Hi Dr. Hilarius. I wasn't thinking this at the beginning of the season, but as I have paid attention to every game this season, I am coming to the same conclusion as you about Kelly Graves. I don't think he has been able to motivate his players and get the kind of players we need. It shouldn't take a lot of motivation to play these big games. These long periods of lapses in shooting just drive me crazy. Also, we don't adapt to the other team well and those are coaching issues. This is looking like a lost season.

• Thumbs Up 1

UCLA wins final three minutes to give Oregon fifth straight defeat

Endyia Rogers tied Sunday's game with just over three minutes to play before UCLA closed it on a 12-2 run to extend Oregon's skid to five games with a 67-57 win at Pauley Pavilion. 

As has been the case throughout the Pac-12 slate, the Ducks struggled to make the winning plays when it mattered. The Bruins separated the game with a shot-clock beating layup and then scored their next two baskets after offensive rebounds extended their possessions. 

The five-game losing streak has the Ducks (14-11, 5-9) near the bottom of the Pac-12 standings.

247SPORTS.COM

UCLA wins final three minutes to give Oregon fifth straight defeat
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ducks Drop Fifth Straight

Oregon fought back from a second-half deficit but UCLA made more plays down the stretch to win Sunday.

An 11-2 run in the third quarter gave UCLA a 43-35 lead, but the UO women fought back and tied it at 55-55 on a three-pointer by Endyia Rogers with 3:23 to play. That would be Oregon's last field goal of the game, as the Bruins sent the Ducks to their fifth straight defeat.

GODUCKS.COM

Oregon fought back from a second-half deficit but UCLA made more plays down the stretch to win Sunday.

WATCH Pac-12 Networks: Ducks vs UCLA Highlights

PAC-12.COM

No. 18 UCLA women's basketball defeats Oregon by a final score of 67-57 on Sunday, Feb. 12 in Westwood. Emily Bessoir finished with a game-high 20 points for the Bruins, while Endyia Rogers dropped a team-high 19 points for the Ducks. Follow Pac-12 women’s basketball this season with the Pac-12 Now App. Download the Pac-12 Now App today and set alerts for Pac-12 women’s basketball to make sure you never miss a moment of the action. Pac-12 Now is available today in your app store for iOS, Android, and Apple TV.

The thing that bothers me the most about Graves is I wished he would have been more honest about how good those Sabrina teams were. At this point it is sad so I'm not going to bash them and I hope Graves figures it out. At one point it looked like he would be the next Gino, but he is far from that right now. If he didn't treat that top 5 team with Sabrina like Nick Saban and that he could spit a team like that out at any time I would be more patient. You could argue that he was doing reverse psychology to motivate them, and I do think he was doing that but thinking you can mind trick Sabrina, Sabally and Herbert into playing better is a little arrogant in of itself.

Edited by duck023
  • Applause 1

On 2/13/2023 at 3:25 PM, duck023 said:

The thing that bothers me the most about Graves is I wished he would have been more honest about how good those Sabrina teams were.

Exactly!

I played bball in HS, and we won the OR state championship when I was a frosh w 4 other frosh on the team—3 starters and one ended up a 1st-team All American. Our coach was awful, but he won coach of the year that year. 

For the next 3 years we all got worse while our competitors got better. It is one of my most aggravating memories—the terrible coach who takes credit for the skills of his players.

And this is what I see happening at Oregon w Graves. He needs to go.