FishDuck Article

History or Future: What are Recruits Buying?

College football is ever changing. Some patterns are easy to predict, but long-term recruiting projections have been something that analysts cannot predict. Partially because recruiting is only as successful as a staff makes it, but also because it is impossible to predict how long coaches will stay with specific teams and long term conference success is almost as important as ...

Read the full article here...

• Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Interesting perspective Ryan. Thanks for bringing it to us. 

A fun read because I recall some pundits stating that football coaches are selling one of two things in their recruiting pitch; success or hope.  Both Washington and Clemson were selling "hope" at that point, but the Tigers did it with a different perspective as Ryan pointed out.

Creating an Alabama or Clemson is so very hard--and even harder to maintain as we have seen with so many teams that have made the Playoffs and not returned.  Cristobal is selling "hope" right now, but it has to be backed up on the field with measurable improvement and success.  And that is the drama that will be entertaining to watch...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

The real issue with the dawgs is that they have won nothing. At Oregon the men have won 19 NCAA team championships and the women 14. At Washington the men have won 0 NCAA titles.

Washington is proud of having made it to the playoffs, but they lost. They are also proud of their football title, but that wasn't official, and there were other issues with it too. 

At Oregon you see the intent to win and the history of winning. This is why I also urge Cristobal to recruit speed and leverage our Track program. The synergy between our football program and track program has allowed us to be a dominant program in the past and can help us in the future. It is surprising to me that we haven't seen more of this from, arguably, the greatest recruiter we have ever had.

Clemson has 6 men's NCAA titles. WSU even has one and OSU has a few NCAA men's titles. You look at the other Pac-12 programs and they have much more than an almost championship or a claimed title. The Washington program is just hot air. This is why it is more likely we will win another 12 straight against them, than they are of ever winning a men's title. Without Petersen the dawgs are doomed.

The dawgs claim they are a blue blood program. They wear the purple and gold to try and continue that farce. The dawgs aren't an elite program. They are, rather, descendants of decades of losers, and posers, nothing else.

• Thumbs Up 1

Great article, Ryan. Washington is definitely Uncle Rico.

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, jrw said:

Great article, Ryan. Washington is definitely Uncle Rico.

Oh my, nailed it!

source.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Haywarduck said:

The real issue with the dawgs is that they have won nothing. At Oregon the men have won 19 NCAA team championships and the women 14. At Washington the men have won 0 NCAA titles.

How women do in sports has nothing to do with college football recruiting. How well Oregon has done in cross country means nothing in college football recrutiing.

I know you're taking shots at Washington (and it's fun to do!) but I've never seen any evidence that football recruits are choosing Oregon over UW or USC or wherever because of championships in other sports. Track and basketball might have some influence for a small number of guys, but that's barely a blip.

33 minutes ago, Ed O said:

How women do in sports has nothing to do with college football recruiting.

Well, when Oregon has won 33 National Championships and Washington has only won 8....and none in Mens sports--that is a massive statement about the athletic departments, the support, the marketing help with your career, etc.  After you explain that--you take them for a stroll in the new Hayward Field...  😉  Just who is big-time?

New Hayward Field Illustration_around.uoregon.edu.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

Mr. FishDuck

40 minutes ago, Ed O said:

How women do in sports has nothing to do with college football recruiting. How well Oregon has done in cross country means nothing in college football recrutiing.

I know you're taking shots at Washington (and it's fun to do!) but I've never seen any evidence that football recruits are choosing Oregon over UW or USC or wherever because of championships in other sports. Track and basketball might have some influence for a small number of guys, but that's barely a blip.

Ok, Heisman Trophy winners, Oregon (1), OSU (1) dawgs (0). 

The fact that UW has won no mens NCAA titles in a conference that has won over 500 speaks volumes. Maybe UW should just have a women's program in the Pac-12?  I will agree it is fun to take shots at the dawgs.

I would also argue women in sports has an impact on college football recruiting. There are 3 4 year colleges with all men in this country, none with a D1 football program. 

1 hour ago, Charles Fischer said:

After you explain that--you take them for a stroll in the new Hayward Field...  😉  Just who is big-time?

Hayward Field is definitely BIG TIME!

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Haywarduck said:

Washington is proud of having made it to the playoffs, but they lost. They are also proud of their football title, but that wasn't official, and there were other issues with it too. 

At Oregon you see the intent to win and the history of winning. This is why I also urge Cristobal to recruit speed and leverage our Track program. The synergy between our football program and track program has allowed us to be a dominant program in the past and can help us in the future. It is surprising to me that we haven't seen more of this from, arguably, the greatest recruiter we have ever had.

Clemson has 6 men's NCAA titles. WSU even has one and OSU has a few NCAA men's titles. You look at the other Pac-12 programs and they have much more than an almost championship or a claimed title. The Washington program is just hot air. This is why it is more likely we will win another 12 straight against them, than they are of ever winning a men's title. Without Petersen the dawgs are doomed.

The dawgs claim they are a blue blood program. They wear the purple and gold to try and continue that farce. The dawgs aren't an elite program. They are, rather, descendants of decades of losers, and posers, nothing else.

I don’t know how much longer football will be the most popular sport in this country.  It will always be my favorite.  Hence I DON’T CARE ABOUT OTHER SPORTS.  

Football players don’t come to Oregon to brag about Track Titles in Track Town.  They come to hoist the ultimate college achievement: a College Football National Championship.  I agree leveraging track and football is very smart.  But I want football players. 

Now I believe it is wise for QB Ashford to pursue an MLB career.  They make Waaaaaay too much money in MLB to overlook.  I just hope he can juggle school, baseball and still thrive at football.   That said, our conference gets regularly mocked for claiming to be the Conference of Champions.  

Football used to drive the revenue stream (we’ll see going forward given the pitfalls players and colleges have put in front of themselves).  Nonetheless, pride and prestige nationwide comes from football titles.  Bar none.  It’s why I advocate title now, forget the future.  The future is the very second you read this sentence.  

My mom always used to tell me “the past is present in the future “.  I get it now.  The 2020 Rose Bowl lost its luster after the spanking we should have avoided in the Fiesta Bowl.  But right now, every second spent becoming the National Title winner THIS YEAR, is all that matters.  Titles are won well before you step foot on the field the day of the game.  We will earn the best recruits by what we are doing RIGHT NOW.

Make no excuses.  Blame no one. Make things happen. Win that damn title now.  

At least the Snake said and did some things to boost our shot at a title.

Carpe Diem.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Haywarduck said:

So even if we give them the 94 natty,  it has been 28 years since then. It's been 20 since they won a Rose Bowl. They suck and they're in denial. 

4 hours ago, Haywarduck said:

in a conference that has won over 500 speaks volumes.

"That's the Conference Of Champions you're talking about"

See the source image

OK....that is one thing I DO like about Bill Walton, as he has really promoted the motto of "Conference of Champions."  Imagine if he just stuck to discussing basketball...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

26 minutes ago, Charles Fischer said:

OK....that is one thing I DO like about Bill Walton, as he has really promoted the motto of "Conference of Champions."  Imagine if he just stuck to discussing basketball...

I love Bill Walton on the commentary. Regular season college basketball can get monotonous, but even in an exciting game the national broadcast team doesn’t add much value with their commentary. The same regurgitated facts from the team’s press packet. Bill takes you on an adventure, and his ability to not take things too seriously is more than welcome from me. 
Gif: Bill Walton offers Mario’s kid some peanut butter he’s been eating with his hands, Mario’s dad instincts kick in. 

422E8C95-BD1C-4A11-844D-E7ED8D8F6625.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, RatherBe said:

The same regurgitated facts from the team’s press packet. Bill takes you on an adventure, and his ability to not take things too seriously is more than welcome from me. 

Yes, and he is always completely impartial. This could be because sometimes I'm not sure Bill knows, or cares, which teams are actually playing, but details, scmeetails.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Jon Sousa said:

Hayward Field is definitely BIG TIME!

MKA is big time

Pape Field is big time

Autzen Stadium is big time

Hayward Field is big time

Jane Sanders Field is big time

UO Athletics is BIG TIME!

And, the best is yet to come. Stay tuned in.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why don't you just say it Ryan, The Washington fan base are dilusional. I can't understand why they act and think the way they do. As for the disdain for Oregon athletics I don't understand why that is also. Alls I know is their hate is evident in the way they talk about the Ducks the things they've done in the past to try and ruin anything Oregon trys to accomplish going forward. You know what they say and this is from the Bible, you Reap what you Sow. So their reaping and it isn't rewards.

So that to me is hilarious but there's that ugly word that should have never ever been introduced to the English vocabulary, but if Oregon doesn't get this done then their actually laughing at us. All's I know is myself and Charles the Fish Duck himself along with all you other gray beards and you know who I mean are in Rehab from all the close calls when it comes to our sports programs.

Either Bias, Injury, Flukes you name it Oregon has been close a few to many times so my question and its a serious one, When will Oregon get over the OH so close?

Then when  it happens we can point North and tell our Hated misguided Leg Lifters hey it's only the beginning so go ahead and remember the good OL days when  you had to cheat to win it is this, that's as good as its ever gonna get for people like you. Love me some Green and Yellow Chamionships. GO Ducks. Recruit, Recruit, Recruit.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Charles Fischer said:

Well, when Oregon has won 33 National Championships and Washington has only won 8....and none in Mens sports--that is a massive statement about the athletic departments, the support, the marketing help with your career, etc.  After you explain that--you take them for a stroll in the new Hayward Field...  😉  Just who is big-time?

Man that is so beautiful and WOW Oregon has just been building up and up now it's time to reap the rewards. Thanks for the picture Fish!

7 hours ago, MaiTaiDuck said:

Alls I know is their hate is evident in the way they talk about the Ducks the things they've done in the past to try and ruin anything Oregon trys to accomplish going forward.

It really is easy to understand why Washington has such enmity towards Oregon. They think they were, "all that" 43 years ago. They weren't really, but that's what they told themselves, then here comes Oregon, who objectively wasn't that good, and now Oregon is winning games, dominating the conference, Rose Bowls, NC Appearances, a Heisman winner!

The Washington fanbase can't take it, so they shove it off on Nike. If it wasn't for Uncle Phil, Oregon wouldn't win anything!. Washington would have everybody believe that Oregon is trying to keep its connection with Nike a secret., that all of a sudden we just started winning.

It actually has to be sad to be a Husky fan. Beaver fans get to play the underDOG role. Washington is the fat has been that never was to begin with. 

Uncle Phil has been a huge help to put Oregon where they are at today.  If Oregon doesn't get the Moshofsky Center built, I'm not sure we are where we are today.  Uncle Phil has paid for essentially every big thing in Oregon football since 1998.  It hasn't been 100%, but if he doesn't donate, we likely wouldn't have it.  However, U of O has about 2/3 the student population as UW.  They have many, many more alumni to donate.

If  only this had happened when Scott Frost was at Oregon!

Good to know--nice catch, thanks!

Mr. FishDuck