McDuck

Traeshon Holden Gone

• Whew! 1
  • Wow 1

I am assuming this was looked into before the dismissal. 

This is very good for Lanning in maintaining discipline in the future. Guys will think twice... we hope!

• Go Ducks! 1

Menacing, unlawful use of a weapon and coercion are the charges.  I'm not sure somebody can explain away all those charges.

So much for that.  Next man up!

Bye! You want to bring that kind of baggage to our school? Nah!

We're loaded at WR anyway and now better off by trimming some fat!

• Thumbs Up 1

With those charges, there's no way he should stay on the team. Good job, Lanning.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, that's one way to trim a scholarship. Damn shame though. Young man had a chance at a freeh start and threw it away before he even unpacked his bags.

I can't find evidence of this but I wonder if there was an inkling of this at Alabama and DL gave him a shot at Oregon based on 'one strike, you're gone'. 

Kiko being given a second chance after a stupid alcohol episode was somewhat understandable, as was Blount's punch. Both young men, with help, were able to salvage their collegiate careers and play in the NFL. No wiggle room with a gun felony, drunk or not. Lanning made the swift and final decision.

What the loss of WR Traeshon Holden means for the Oregon Ducks

The competition in the WR room just got a lot more interesting when it comes to spring football for the Oregon Ducks. It was believed that Holden was going to be in line to start alongside Troy Franklin and Kris Hutson, but now there is a spot to fill on the starting lineup.

As I mentioned, I believe that Oregon will go into the portal to fill that need. However, there’s a great chance that someone like Kyler Kasper, Justius Lowe, Ashton Cozart, or one of the numerous other young players can make a big enough leap to step into that roll. A lot of eyes will now be on the wide receiver group during spring ball to see if anyone states their case to jump into the starting lineup.

It needs to be noted that Dan Lanning got this news of one of his players being arrested and moved quickly. In the past, we’ve seen coaches put out statements along the lines of “we are aware of the situation and will look into it,” but that wasn’t the case here. Immediately, Lanning offered a statement saying that Holden was dismissed from the team after not upholding the standards set by the team.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Traeshon Holden is leaving the Ducks before taking a single snap. Here’s a look at where Oregon goes after his dismissal.

• Applause 1

Allegedly, dude gets his day in court. That said, Dan lanning gets to chose who is a Duck. A pending felony is a distraction Ducks could do without

• Thumbs Up 1

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

There are a few interesting names in the transfer portal if Oregon wants to try and find another veteran WR to add to the roster.

I really don't see anything great here! Develop what we have!

• Thumbs Up 1

Glad to see Lanning put his foot down and do it fast,  there's just no excuse to be in that position in the first place. Everyone deserves their day in court but just because you're not found guilty doesn't mean you didn't exhibited extremely poor judgment.

On 2/15/2023 at 2:02 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:

I wonder if there was an inkling of this at Alabama and DL gave him a shot at Oregon based on 'one strike, you're gone'. 

I cannot imagine this is the first time for this fellow, and I'm sure things were buried at Alabama, and because he was a star in high school--he probably always got the pass that others would not.

This is a challenge I wrote about with transfers; with HS recruits--our coaches get to know them over two years with tons of conversations, facetimes and meetings.  With a transfer--it is a very brief time where anyone can be on their best behavior.

The portal is also a way for schools to dispose of their "problems," and at places like Alabama--they have tons of great talent to replace the troubled players.  We picked up someone else's problem, but the good news is that he showed us early on his character, and allowed Lanning to end it before it infected the rest of the team.

That is a very big hole at receiver...but you can't allow this.

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

I imagine Traeshon was on a short leash when he arrived. Coaches know what they are getting, and that they are often giving somebody a second chance. Not all players are Gonzo types who just want a place to win and push up their draft stock. 

I give Lanning kudos for being decisive, and setting a tone. This is something we haven't seen outwardly, but I imagine he is all business once the recruiting is over. As has been mentioned, the derecruitment process is on.

Players may want to play, but there isn't a lot of play while getting ready.

Simple, Come to play for Oregon to have chances at National Championship, or go home.  Choices have consequences.  You can have some fun, get an education but you are here to do a job, let's get to work.  Looks like the Culture is being established.  DL is not fooling around, especially with the MSU incident fresh in the mind.

• Thumbs Up 3

I wonder how NIL deals are written to handle this type of situation.  This one is fairly egregious, threatening someone with a gun is universally considered inappropriate, but how would they handle the the wide scope of potential indiscretions a typical young male may commit? 

Jeremiah Masoli stealing a laptop is easy, but what about Cliff Harris being stopped for speeding and his "We smoked it all" comment?  Would/should that negate potential income in the six or seven figure range?  Would the flimsy allegations against LaMichael James?

How do they even write that into a contract when it can't be based on enrolling in school or being a member of a team?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/16/2023 at 2:39 PM, McDuck said:

I wonder how NIL deals are written to handle this type of situation. 

Oh, so many questions surrounding NIL.  What happens if a player gets a nice deal and then is dismissed from the team mid-season (after he's gotten paid)?  What happens if a player is benched for disciplinary reasons but not dismissed?  What happens if a high-dollar guy loses his starting slot?  Do players get paid game-by-game (essentially like a game check in the NFL)?  What happens with a career-ending injury?  Will we start seeing bonus payments if they play in a bowl game?  Incentives (e.g. win the Heisman and get an extra $500k, or be named all-Pac-12 and get $20k)?

It's already a mess; the NCAA was clear that NIL should never be part of the recruitment process, but that's obviously way out the window and the NCAA has all the enforcement teeth of Barney Fife.  Pitt's coach claims he knows two specific schools who tried to poach UNC's star QB with offers of $5 million, which is unquestionably against the rules (as if that matters).  

Yikes.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/16/2023 at 6:39 AM, McDuck said:

I wonder how NIL deals are written to handle this type of situation.  This one is fairly egregious, threatening someone with a gun is universally considered inappropriate, but how would they handle the the wide scope of potential indiscretions a typical young male may commit? 

Jeremiah Masoli stealing a laptop is easy, but what about Cliff Harris being stopped for speeding and his "We smoked it all" comment?  Would/should that negate potential income in the six or seven figure range?  Would the flimsy allegations against LaMichael James?

How do they even write that into a contract when it can't be based on enrolling in school or being a member of a team?

I wouldn't be surprised if there were character morality clauses of some sort in these agreements.

On 2/16/2023 at 7:55 AM, kirklandduck said:

I wouldn't be surprised if there were character morality clauses of some sort in these agreements.

They probably are but that is part of the question.  What should the standards cover and who decides if they are violated?  The post by Mr. Rambis does an excellent job of expanding on the questions.

The company/entity that is paying the money decides if the morality clause is violated.  I'm guessing with young men/women, they are designed to be easily violated.  Why pay when you can save money if things don't turn out?

Considering Oregon's collective is run by Nike execs I'd be absolutely shocked (and angry) if there wasn't a clause to cover this.  Advertisers (Nike included) constantly run into issues where the talent's actions make them a liability and the sponsorship is pulled.  This kid will get his day in court to render his defense but the school has pulled his scholarship and the collective will have pulled his sponsorship deal so he will not be getting any future payments. 

FYI, the collective doesn't write these kids a one time lump sum check.  Their deal may have an upfront award but it's monthly payments based on maintaining the terms of the deal, e.g. not being an advertising liability.  We're not the Florida Gators here...

You’re probably right, but the problem remains the actual incident(s) never making it past the coach’s desk, and into a written record that travels with the transfer’s transcripts. If enough ‘transfer dumping’ of this sort occurs (and can be verified via police records, etc), then some form of culpability on the part of the original program seems justified.

On 2/15/2023 at 2:56 PM, kirklandduck said:

So much for that.  Next man up!

Or, next man out of the portal. 

I just hope his guns were confiscated if he's out walking the streets.

• Applause 1

On 2/16/2023 at 1:23 PM, Annie said:

I just hope his guns were confiscated if he's out walking the streets.

It would have been seized as evidence.  Even with no charges filed the police keep everything that could pertain as charges might be filed.  If no charges are forthcoming it still takes more than a month to get property back from an evidence clerk.  If charges are filed, he would have to be acquitted to get it back.  If he's convicted it's stored as evidence through appeals until eventually it gets destroyed.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/16/2023 at 1:35 PM, Duck Fan 76 said:

It would have been seized as evidence.  Even with no charges filed the police keep everything that could pertain as charges might be filed.  If no charges are forthcoming it still takes more than a month to get property back from an evidence clerk.  If charges are filed, he would have to be acquitted to get it back.  If he's convicted it's stored as evidence through appeals until eventually it gets destroyed.

Thanks, good to know!

Local news just said that DA will not be charging him. So, should he have been let go so swiftly? 

On 2/17/2023 at 5:16 PM, Lono said:

Local news just said that DA will not be charging him. So, should he have been let go so swiftly? 

In my opinion yes.  Not being charged is not the same as innocent.  I only read the original reports but getting in a fight which escalates to pepper spray and brandishing a gun with threats to shoot is a series of actions that merits repercussions.

The young man escaped a criminal record but appropriately still suffered serious consequences.  Hopefully he makes better choices going forward. 

On 2/17/2023 at 5:16 PM, Lono said:

I wondered about this. On the one hand, the charges were so serious--on the other hand, maybe it would be more prudent to wait a bit to see if the DA would charge him. If it's just that there's not enough proof, that's one thing. If the DA decided that it's likely he's innocent, that's another. Would he be asked to rejoin the team, and, if so, would he accept?

Okay, just heard he's been exonerated. So, what happens next?

Edited by Annie

On 2/17/2023 at 8:16 PM, Lono said:

Lanning has made his decision. He obviously does not want this type of player on his team. I support him 100% in this. What if Holden brings a gun into the locker room or on school grounds? The team doesn't need potential problems!

I don’t know the details, but I am going to assume this was not a home invasion or car-jacking. 

I can think of no other reason to brandish a gun in Eugene. 

Whatever scenario he presented to DL, DL clearly was not convinced. 

Ba-bye. 

Lane County District Attorney won’t charge former Oregon Ducks receiver Traeshon Holden

The Lane County District Attorney’s office will not be filing charges against former Oregon Ducks receiver Traeshon Holden, according to his attorney.

Holden was dismissed from the UO football team following his Wednesday morning arrest by Eugene police on accusations of felony unlawful use of a weapon and coercion and misdemeanor menacing. The Lane County District Attorney’s office told KEZI it reviewed body camera footage and video surveillance and interviewed an additional witness and will not be filing charges against Holden.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

The Lane County District Attorney’s office told KEZI it reviewed body camera footage and video surveillance and interviewed an...

Jumping to conclusions before all the facts are in are often signs of inexperience and immaturity. When it’s more important to demonstrate decisiveness than patience, one can often be caught with their pants down.

• Thumbs Up 1