Charles Fischer

Monster Verbal Commit: 6'9" and 360 lb. Offensive Lineman!

Mario likes them big, but is that the key component?  Our rushing yards have been declining over the last three years; what say you?

Percy Lewis, 6-foot-9, 360-pound JC Offensive Lineman, Commits to Oregon Ducks by OregonLive

Mr. FishDuck

The Ducks will have to spread the field with Percy on the line. 

Monster is an understatement... he IS an offensive line onto himself.

And, maybe still growing?

If their are no "all you can eat" joints in Eugene, I can understand why. Wow, 6' 9" at 360. What a placeholder. 

Not sure there is a bigger Cristobal stamp which has been put on the program than the size of the O-line. Fortunately he is recruiting elite talent too, not just size. 

This can be seen on most positions as our LB's are bigger, WR's are bigger. One note is, at receiver at least, the little guys are beating out the taller, bigger receivers. I do hope we go back to picking up some speed guys. Few things put the fear into the defense like a guy who can blow by the DB and stretch the safety. I suppose the other ingredient is a qb who can get him the ball, but we are working on that!

I think we found the beef! Uncle Phil will have to once again pony up the cash to feed this monster.

On some other forums....many are 'dissing this verbal, but I think that after all the four and five star offensive linemen coming to Oregon--having a few projects with a chip-on-their-shoulder can be good for all.

Malaesala Aumavae-Laulu_Twitter.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

33 minutes ago, Charles Fischer said:

On some other forums....many are 'dissing this verbal, but I think that after all the four and five star offensive linemen coming to Oregon--having a few projects with a chip-on-their-shoulder can be good for all.

I think Cristobal is looking for potentially a few project players as well that have all the physical assets needed but need to be refined. Oregon is in a great place right now with offensive linemen. The 2020 Offensive line really needs to be more cohesive in 2021 but that will come with time, the one thing they were woefully short of last year, especially with FIVE new starters.

With that said... there will be a few spots opening up in the 2022 season as there will be some who graduate and move on. Though there will be plenty of options for replacements between those who are in the second string right now and 2021 incoming Freshman who will be red-shirted this season but potentially ready to go in 2022.

This will really allow Oregon to take a physical monster who needs some work like Percy Lewis and develop him as a player. He may not see the field till his 2rd year (Red-shirt Sophomore?) but Oregon can afford to wait and develop him because of our offensive line depth.

THIS is a fantastic sign. We all love seeing Freshman get right on the field in year one, especially if they are four and five-stars, and over the past couple of years Oregon has played a lot of Freshman. Though in reality we want to see a lot of these players red-shirt and develop for a year or so before they get on the field. A whole lot of development can happen in a red shirt year.

So we might not see Lewis take the field for a year or two... but when he does with his size and with Oregon's offensive line training... he will be trouble for a lot of teams.

• Thumbs Up 1

The good news is no matter how this recruit turns out.... Our D will have seen true SEC/BIG-10, sized O lineman in practice and we have a handful of them now... 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/2/2021 at 9:14 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Mario likes them big, but is that the key component?  Our rushing yards have been declining over the last three years; what say you?

Percy Lewis, 6-foot-9, 360-pound JC Offensive Lineman, Commits to Oregon Ducks by OregonLive

He has a great hand punch and he's mean as a junkyard dawg.

Absolute brawler. A "Tone Setter".

A guy that comes out from the first snap of the game, and let's everyone know on the defensive line that it's going to be a long day at the office.

I like this guy a lot.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 9:14 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Our rushing yards have been declining over the last three years; what say you?

As to the run game component... 

We haven't had a big time runningback in the mold.of a Freeman, Barner, or James for the past three years. Verdell just doesn't have the same ability. 

Verdell always seems to look for contact rather than make a cut away from contact. He doesn't really make any cuts at all... He goes off like a bullet and rams into anything in his way. Which would work great if he was a couple inches taller and about 20 pounds heavier... That way he'd demolish whoever he ran into... But instead it just becomes a cloud of dust and a few yards. 

Granted... Verdell is very good at falling forward so if he typically can pick up a couple yards... But it isn't pretty. 

Additionally... The pistol... Need I say more on that? 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, David Marsh said:

As to the run game component... 

We haven't had a big time runningback in the mold.of a Freeman, Barner, or James for the past three years. Verdell just doesn't have the same ability. 

Verdell always seems to look for contact rather than make a cut away from contact. He doesn't really make any cuts at all... He goes off like a bullet and rams into anything in his way. Which would work great if he was a couple inches taller and about 20 pounds heavier... That way he'd demolish whoever he ran into... But instead it just becomes a cloud of dust and a few yards. 

Granted... Verdell is very good at falling forward so if he typically can pick up a couple yards... But it isn't pretty. 

Additionally... The pistol... Need I say more on that? 

I'm not so sure that it's been a lack of talent, rather than the scheme. Has there really been any receivers at Oregon that scare a Defensive Coordinator? I can't think of any. If a defense doesn't respect a portion of your offense then your offense is out of balance and easy to scheme against. The Pistol with better personal seems like it would be more difficult to defend than the RB standing next to the QB.

1 hour ago, ChicoDuck said:

I'm not so sure that it's been a lack of talent, rather than the scheme. Has there really been any receivers at Oregon that scare a Defensive Coordinator?

The last scary receiver Oregon had really was Dillon Mitchel and that was because he was paired with Herbert.

2019 there wasn't much of a fear factor receiver wise... I think we had a couple guys who could scare a defense last year but Oregon really lacked the quarterback who could get the ball down the distance. Though there were some creative plays with Dye coming out of the backfield that did create some interesting match-ups.

Here's hoping Oregon has the quarterback who can really stretch the field in 2021.