FishDuck Article

Will Stein: Oregon’s New OC and Miracle-Maker?

The title looks like classic hype to promote a blah-blah article, or serves as typical web click-bait. Yet those of you who have watched my videos and read my (Over 600) articles created over the last 11 years know I back up extraordinary claims with proof, or a logical rationale that makes sense...

FISHDUCK.COM

The title looks like classic hype to promote a blah-blah article, or serves as typical web click-bait. Yet those of you who have watched my...

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I think Stein is a great hire. It will be intersting to see how much risk Stein is willing to take on his own side of the field. Hope we don't see the 4d attempts we saw last year with Dilly.

Will DL have enough confidence in WS that he feels comfortable to put more of his energy into defensive side of the ball?

Oregon needs to show vast improvement on D or fans and media are going to be rough on our young coach. 

Spring starts in a few weeks. Looking forward to getting an idea of how Ducks have progressed. Two really bad losses last year puts DL on the radar as far as fans go.

• Thumbs Up 3

Thank you Charles! Ir's a positive, refreahing take on Coach Stein and supports his ability to be flexible and creative.

I really appreciated the take on his placing the players in an offense that the players can execute while being coached up. Imagine a team full of 2 stars and walk ons willing ro be coached up! Working hard to succeed and then accomplishing that on the field. Well done WS and staff.

Now if DL and staff can work a miracle like that on the Ducks Defense! I truly hope that this star studded unit is willing to learn and work together. 

As,a fan, i would like to be excited when the Duck Defense takes the field...........

• Let’s hope! 1

In a conference full of high performing offenses Oregon can't afford to pause, or step back in the redevelopment of the O in Oregon Program. It is nice to know Lanning has moved forward with rebuilding a once proud offensive machine.

I have a feeling Oregon's offense will, again, need to carry the program. Hopefully the defense will be much improved, but our Offense scoring and giving the defense an edge will be critical to a successful season. 

We will be repeatedly playing teams with high powered offenses, and we will need to be able to match or exceed that fire power. It is nice to read Stein may be up to the task.

The question will be which receivers will win the opportunity to play catch and run. The other huge question is can Stein develop the next qb, and have them ready to take over when needed. All of the offense hinges on Nix, unless Stein is equally skilled at qb development.

What is scary is we have a guy who was an assistant high school coach in 2019. He was promoted to Co-offensive coordinator last season. He is now the OC at Oregon. We have realized the lack of experience Lanning brought, well we need to understand Stein will be learning on the job too. He may be a miracle-maker, but it is a miracle he is the OC of one of the top programs too. 

I am more reserved than you Charles. I think we may see some growing pains, but it will be exciting, and maybe, just maybe, a miracle season is in front of us.

b920d5fb-f7cd-47ca-afb4-97820b49e3ce_text.gif

Edited by Haywarduck
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/27/2023 at 7:10 AM, Haywarduck said:

What is scary is we have a guy who was an assistant high school coach in 2019.

The same time the OL coach, an integral member of his staff, was entering just his second year as a GA  That is a lot of youth.

Every rock star coach started somewhere.  Let's hope this year it is at Oregon.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The most important part of the article is near the end detailing the offensive line injuries he dealt with last year.  It was an impossible mission to me, and makes me wonder....how good would he do with OUR experienced offensive line that we will start this year?

giphy.gif

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Spoken like a former lineman, Charles!

Cautious optimism should be ingrained in OBD fans , but now.

Despite that, I'm excited!

• Thumbs Up 2

FishDuck is right, with that O-line and all those 2☆, coach Stein was nothing but miraculous!

I believe coach Lanning has found a diamond in the rough. We may miss coach Klemm, but DL has brought in another great young coach to replace him.

I think perhaps the best part is the hire of Mike Cavanaugh to be assistant O-line coach. He has years of experience that can help with all the youth and inexperience on staff.

I fully believe our offense will be fun to watch. I expect Bo will help young Mr. Stein once again look brilliant. 

Let's Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

While it would have been nice if our coaching staff held up longer than 1 year, at least there isn’t going to be a complete overhaul of the offense. 

Stein has a chance to make a name for himself at Oregon. Adjusting the offense to the players that are available, who knew? That idea seems simple, but there are many coaches that do not adjust very well. 

The adjustments I will be interested in seeing are when the offense struggles. Can he make some of the adjustments needed to neutralize a defense that has the upper hand?  If he can make those types of adjustments, and recruit, then we have a very good one on our sidelines. 

Overall, I am optimistic about Stein making a name for himself. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Great take Charles, thank you.

Academics-wise it is not a fit but media market wise (and today IMO $ has to trump academic considerations for the Pac-10) UTSA, defending CUSA champ and moving on up to the AAC should be seriously considered as a travel partner if SMU joins the conference.

Houston would be preferable or perhaps Tulane, defending AAC champion, but supposedly Houston has been locked up by the B12 and I have not seen Tulane mentioned very much as a Pac-10 expansion candidate.

San Antonio is a big, big market and does not have a good number of pro franchises as do Dallas and Houston. The Alamodome is a very good football game facility.

Sorry to go slightly OT. Returning to Charles' terrific article it looks like this is another very good coaching hire by Coach Lanning that has already yielded positive results with Oregon being able to poach a 4* QB 'committed' to Baylor.

On 2/27/2023 at 2:03 PM, cartm25 said:

Turnover at OC will be a constant concern for me with Lanning being a defensive-minded HC.

That said, I think you make an important point that could *hopefully* keep Stein here for ~3 years. He hasn't proved himself "yet" at the highest levels of college football. In contrast, Dillingham had earned his stripes under Norvell and at programs like Auburn and FSU. Not shocking that after one year of success with Oregon, his alma mater would offer the HC spot.

Great take cartm25. If your assistant coaches are not in play what does that say about the quality of said coaches? Good point about G5 vs P5 experience but Stein excelled with lower-ranked players and I am looking forward to seeing what he can do with a blue-chip roster.

Fortunately, spring ball is 'right around the corner.'

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/27/2023 at 1:16 PM, DanLduck said:

FishDuck is right, with that O-line and all those 2☆, coach Stein was nothing but miraculous!

I believe coach Lanning has found a diamond in the rough. We may miss coach Klemm, but DL has brought in another great young coach to replace him.

I think perhaps the best part is the hire of Mike Cavanaugh to be assistant O-line coach. He has years of experience that can help with all the youth and inexperience on staff.

I fully believe our offense will be fun to watch. I expect Bo will help young Mr. Stein once again look brilliant. 

Let's Go Ducks!

UTSA won the CUSA title which put UTSA in a position to move up to the AAC.

UTSA lost its bowl game to Sun Belt champion Troy but it was a heck of a game.

How good is Cavanaugh? When he was at Oregon State, I cursed his name, as he was a GOOD offensive line coach.

He is perfect for the newbie Coach Terry.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 2/27/2023 at 11:03 AM, cartm25 said:

Turnover at OC will be a constant concern for me with Lanning being a defensive-minded HC.

That said, I think you make an important point that could *hopefully* keep Stein here for ~3 years. He hasn't proved himself "yet" at the highest levels of college football. In contrast, Dillingham had earned his stripes under Norvell and at programs like Auburn and FSU. Not shocking that after one year of success with Oregon, his alma mater would offer the HC spot.

Also Stein's college program (Louisville) just hired a very good coach, Jeff Brohm, and he hired his son, Brian Brohm as the OC. Maybe the draw Dilly had to his home program won't happen for a while with Stein. Maybe Lanning had that figured out too?

Agree other programs wanting our assistants is a good sign. Also Lanning track record of bringing in very good coaches is another awesome sign. All these things along with Charles analysis, hopefully, add up to stellar results.

• Thumbs Up 1

That is a really good observation about Louisville football, and it bodes well for keeping stayed him here a couple of years… And build something GREAT!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 2/27/2023 at 12:02 PM, cartm25 said:

I want all our assistants to be in play, but I'm hoping there can be something--any number of circumstances--to keep them here for a 3-year period for the sake of mini-continuity.

It makes you wonder if this was not a factor in his hiring, because as young as he is--he would need to string together a number of good years to be in line for a HC job somewhere.  If he was doing well here, and well compensated--I would doubt a lateral move to being OC elsewhere--with the exception of his Alma Mater.  (But that looks good for a few years)

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Charles, please good Sir if at all possible attend the Ducks/Trojans game and honor us with a blow-by-blow in-person description of the game. 

I expect this will be Autzen at its craziest and loudest. 

As noted earlier the manner in which any number of SC fans are trolling the Pac-10 is obnoxious and intolerable.

On 2/27/2023 at 1:14 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Charles, please good Sir if at all possible attend the Ducks/Trojans game and honor us with a blow-by-blow in-person description of the game. 

I expect this will be Autzen at its craziest and loudest. 

As noted earlier the manner in which any number of SC fans are trolling the Pac-10 is obnoxious and intolerable.

I will not be at the USC game this year.

For the past couple of years--I have had a severe issue with lower back pain and arthritis, and have not been able to walk it all like I used to.  Thus I sold my tickets to a Duck-Buddy, and frankly--with all that I have to do on GameDay--it is a ton with charting the game, conversion to MP4, coordinating with the Sunday writer, loading pictures from the photographers, etc.  Especially with the night games, as I would not get to bed until 2:00 AM if I went to the game.  (And that is TOO LATE for this old fart)

But I am improving.  I will be going to the first two games at Autzen in September, and then my buddy has bought the remainder of the tickets.  It is a big goal of mine to walk like normal again...I do walk now, but it looks less like a Duck, and more like...

giphy.gif

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 2/27/2023 at 12:47 PM, Charles Fischer said:

It makes you wonder if this was not a factor in his hiring, because as young as he is--he would need to string together a number of good years to be in line for a HC job somewhere.  If he was doing well here, and well compensated--I would doubt a lateral move to being OC elsewhere--with the exception of his Alma Mater.  (But that looks good for a few years)

I imagine it was a factor, but more like the....

al9ICA.gif

• Thanks for the article Charles. It gives one hope. I see the spring game is set for April 29 which means spring practice should start sometime in March. Anyone have a firm date?

BTW lower back problems are no joke. I assume you have a good orthopedic doctor. Has he looked at your hips? I could barely walk last year because of a right knee problem. It turns out that I needed a new right hip which cleared up the right knee problem.

On 2/27/2023 at 10:10 AM, Haywarduck said:

What is scary is we have a guy who was an assistant high school coach in 2019. He was promoted to Co-offensive coordinator last season. He is now the OC at Oregon. We have realized the lack of experience Lanning brought, well we need to understand Stein will be learning on the job too. He may be a miracle-maker, but it is a miracle he is the OC of one of the top programs too. 

Hi Haywarduck. I think this is where the hiring of Mike Cavanaugh will pay dividends. Cavanaugh has 35 years of coaching experience, mostly on the offense. I think his hiring was done in order to help out Stein and A'lique Terry in their decision making and planning.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Who is Mike Cavanaugh? A veteran OL coach with a strong connection to the state of Oregon, and a long relationship with...

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2023 at 3:27 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Hi Haywarduck. I think this is where the hiring of Mike Cavanaugh will pay dividends. Cavanaugh has 35 years of coaching experience, mostly on the offense. I think his hiring was done in order to help out Stein and A'lique Terry in their decision making and planning.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Who is Mike Cavanaugh? A veteran OL coach with a strong connection to the state of Oregon, and a long relationship with...

Wouldn't it be amazing to see the hiring of an old OC, head coach as an analyst. If there was a coach who could handle that hire it would be Lanning. Not sure if Helfrich would be ready to take another role, but it would be something to see that kind of move by both men.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 2/27/2023 at 2:18 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I will not be at the USC game this year.

For the past couple of years--I have had a severe issue with lower back pain and arthritis, and have not been able to walk it all like I used to.  Thus I sold my tickets to a Duck-Buddy, and frankly--with all that I have to do on GameDay--it is a ton with charting the game, conversion to MP4, coordinating with the Sunday writer, loading pictures from the photographers, etc.  Especially with the night games, as I would not get to bed until 2:00 AM if I went to the game.  (And that is TOO LATE for this old fart)

But I am improving.  I will be going to the first two games at Autzen in September, and then my buddy has bought the remainder of the tickets.  It is a big goal of mine to walk like normal again...I do walk now, but it looks less like a Duck, and more like...

giphy.gif

Hate to hear about this, getting older isn't easy. I know the water is what keeps me young. Being Mr.FishDuck you should be in the water too. Maybe some warm water therapy, exercise. 

All I know is we all appreciate what you do seated, and hope you get your stride back soon

1636698052-Waddling-Duck-Gif.gif

• Thanks 1