Pennsylvania Duck

Canzano: Pac-12 Officially Exploring Four Expansion Schools

The Pac-12 Conference CEO Group voted to approve “further exploration” of four universities for possible conference expansion, I have learned.

SMU and San Diego State are in the quartet, according to one of the conference presidents. Colorado State may also be among the candidates. I’m still working to confirm that and the fourth school.

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Oregon remains "way on board" with Pac-12, per source.
  • Thumbs Up 2

I was hoping they'd be more aggressive with expansion than just 2 schools.  It'll be interesting to see which teams bubble to the surface.

Keeping it more with a PAC type of conference I would say Boise St, Fresno St, San Diego St, and Hawaii.  It could very much add exposure to all 4 of those schools although I know a few might not meet academic/research criteria.  For some reason I don't see SMU or Colorado St as packing a big TV or streaming Punch. 

It seems like Canzano never gets good scoops on Oregon Football and the Blazers, the two biggest teams in Oregon by a mile. It probably does not help that he is indifferent to the programs.

• Applause 1

I also was hoping they would be more aggressive. If some of these other conferences don't want to play nice, plant a flag in the heart of Dallas. Logistics could be an issue, but plant a flag at UConn, or even make a run at Florida State. It may be unrealistic, but I bet a swinging deal could be made. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Onboarding 2 to 4 schools is the easier course of action than onboarding one or two streaming companies.

As we all know the PAC has been taking a lot of criticism because they dont have a media deal in place. When you are part of pioneering a new venture, i assure you it is not easy........

The other conferences had little trouble landing their deals because the linear broadcast industry is set in stone. This many TV sets, well then we pay this much money. Simple.

The PAC 10 was told $300 million a year by ESPN. Thats what you are worth, take it or leave it. GK and The Presidents decided to explore all options.

The BIG 12 and its commish and writers are full of .... They jumped the gun to get a new deal ahead of the PAC. Their conference is weak in footbsll and has very little fan interest outside of Texas. It took ESPN and FOX to work together to give thst pissant conference an extension that boosted their payouts by a measley $3 million a year. WOW. That sure narrowed the revenue gap against the BIG and SEC payouts.

I have been very critical of the PAC and GK thru this process. However, i am going to cut them some slack and give them some cudos for this out of the box effort. They are boldly going where college football has never gone before. GK, the conferemce and the streamers are building the blueprint out of thin air. Hec, they are making yhis up as they go along.

The streaming companies need games to broadcast. 2 expansion teams replace the home games lost from the 2 traitors departure. 2 more teams then will add 14 more home games to broadcast. Remember the more time zones the better for the streamers. ( I for one will stream SMU vs ASU on Saturday morning at 10 am pst)

Both streamers need the PAC Network for quality broadcasts. They need camera operators, equipment and command centers. They need on field and on air talent. The streamers are probably needing the PAC to help them lay out the road map.

Bringing this all together is complicated and rightfully takes time. However the PAC 10 has 3 things going for it that the BIG 12 doesnt have:

OREGON - UTAH - washington

Name me one brand in the new BIG 12 you would place ahead of these 3 schools for national recognition.

The new deal will probably not be the very best deal. However, if this is set up correctly and the new expansion teams grow their brands then the next deal could be a blockbuster.

Oregon, Utah or washington winning a natty wouldn't hurt either.......

• Great post! 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/3/2023 at 9:55 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Both streamers need the PAC Network for quality broadcasts. They need camera operators, equipment and command centers. They need on field and on air talent. The streamers are probably needing the PAC to help them lay out the road map.

Makes me think that the PAC 12 Networks are signing up with a steamer for distribution. The major hangup might be dealing with the Dish Network and local cable company broadcasting rights. Amazon or Apple probably want exclusive rights worldwide.

On 3/3/2023 at 10:45 PM, Dave23 said:

Makes me think that the PAC 12 Networks are signing up with a steamer for distribution. The major hangup might be dealing with the Dish Network and local cable company broadcasting rights. Amazon or Apple probably want exclusive rights worldwide.

It's difficult to know or guess what all the parties want, at this point! As we all recognize its just best guessing on our part.

Rest assured all parties involved want control of the situation. There's one thing that the PAC controls:

Friday and Saturday night 

content without competition.

ESPN has done real well with the PAC after dark. The streamers should be able to do the same.

• Applause 1

On 3/4/2023 at 6:56 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

ESPN has done real well with the PAC after dark. The streamers should be able to do the same.

Unfortunately, I hate after-dark games. I sell my tickets to them, and the only ones I watch on TV are the Duck games.

• Go Ducks! 1

On 3/4/2023 at 8:35 AM, Annie said:

Unfortunately, I hate after-dark games. I sell my tickets to them, and the only ones I watch on TV are the Duck games.

Me too, Annie.  However all may not be lost. Oregon is the prime viewing property for the PAC. We should see a lot of 4 to 4:30 PST, kickoffs for the Ducks, Utah and or washington. Showcasing the best game for better viewing in the EST and CST time zones.

At this point SMU cannot be a flag bearer for the PAC in the Central Time Zone. All and i mean all the schools need to invest in upping their football profile, nationally.

• Thumbs Up 1

Agree about the night games, I don't much care for them but I guess that's our conference niche so that's how it goes.

What I will say is that winning will reduce our night game appearances, especially with the LA traitors headed east.  Assuming ESPN gets the linear rights to the P12, they are not going to cede prime kickoff times to Fox to televise USC and UCLA on the west coast without any competition.  We win the big games, keep national interest high and we get the best TV times.  We can at least control that.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 3/3/2023 at 5:44 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Boise St, Fresno St, San Diego St, and Hawaii.

Boise St. and Hawaii are non-starters due to academics.  SDSU has major research activities and SMU is building theirs up.  Colorado St. fits the academic mold and is viable.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/4/2023 at 6:56 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

There's also now competition from Big-10 after dark on Fox, so that's going to impact the PAC's deal.  You are correct though to point out that the 10PM EST timeslot is where most companies see the PACs value mostly due to very limited competition due to NCAA rules.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/4/2023 at 11:04 AM, Duck Fan 76 said:

...  You are correct though to point out that the 10PM EST timeslot is where most companies see the PACs value mostly due to very limited competition due to NCAA rules.

To me that means that PAC-12 are the spillover that gets mopped up and squeezed out over the late hours for a few drops of water. Or, to stay with nourishment comparisons, like crumbs being swept off the counter in order to put them on a plate for late-night consumption.

• Thumbs Up 1

Defense - SDSU, Fresno, UNLV. Do not let Yack, yack Yarmack, and the B12 into the Pacific time zone.

Offense - SMU, UTSA, Tulane - Add Dallas/Fort Worth, San Antonio, and New Orleans markets. 

It is Moneyball time. IMO, academics have to be 2nd to the conference continuing to exist.

The above 6 schools would bring in the 2022 AAC, CUSA, and Mountain West football champs. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

JJ that is an interesting proposal or thought process.....

I believe the PAC should keep the BIG 12 out of the Pacific Time Zone. However, FSU and UNLV do not move the money meter. But it keeps the BIG12 from PST broadcasts.

Adding teams in DFW, Houston, San Antonio and New Orleans have the greater potential to move the money meter. A pod of 4 teams in the CST time zone opens up more games to broadcast. More regional interest and the chances to create natural rivalries.

My gut feeling is that the PAC10 Presidents will do just enough to get a media rights package with unequal shares to placate the Ducks and huskies. But very little else.

This short 4 to 7 year media package allows the PAC the time to properly prepare for and negotiate an ACC-PAC merger down the road. Create a super conference.....

Or simply survive until the BIG finishes with their expansion. Then the once proud Conference of Champions can quietly fade into a footnote in sports history.

If the PAC stays at 10 teams that could be a telling sign.

On 3/4/2023 at 11:57 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Defense - SDSU, Fresno, UNLV. Do not let Yack, yack Yarmack, and the B12 into the Pacific time zone.

Offense - SMU, UTSA, Tulane - Add Dallas/Fort Worth, San Antonio, and New Orleans markets. 

It is Moneyball time. IMO, academics have to be 2nd to the conference continuing to exist.

The above 6 schools would bring in the 2022 AAC, CUSA, and Mountain West football champs. 

I can't add any more than that, this is exactly what I'm thinking.

• Thumbs Up 1

No to Boise State. No Matter What.

Garbage market and garbage academics.  

Would be like adding a high school.

This is the first I’ve heard of Tulane in the mix, and I am loving it! A 4-pod of mountain/central time NOLA, Denver, Dallas, and SLC?

That’s thinking outside the box. What a great way to get the pac recruiting in the rich Louisiana territory. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/4/2023 at 3:59 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

JJ that is an interesting proposal or thought process.....

I believe the PAC should keep the BIG 12 out of the Pacific Time Zone. However, FSU and UNLV do not move the money meter. But it keeps the BIG12 from PST broadcasts.

Adding teams in DFW, Houston, San Antonio and New Orleans have the greater potential to move the money meter. A pod of 4 teams in the CST time zone opens up more games to broadcast. More regional interest and the chances to create natural rivalries.

My gut feeling is that the PAC10 Presidents will do just enough to get a media rights package with unequal shares to placate the Ducks and huskies. But very little else.

This short 4 to 7 year media package allows the PAC the time to properly prepare for and negotiate an ACC-PAC merger down the road. Create a super conference.....

Or simply survive until the BIG finishes with their expansion. Then the once proud Conference of Champions can quietly fade into a footnote in sports history.

If the PAC stays at 10 teams that could be a telling sign.

Thank you Happy but the central valley of California and Las Vegas, Clark county, are good-sized media markets. and  LV is already home to the football title game and the conference basketball tournaments.

I believe the LV large and growing market is far more 'accretive' than OR ST and WA ST.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/4/2023 at 6:28 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Thank you Happy but the central valley of California and Las Vegas, Clark county, are good-sized media markets. and  LV is already home to the football title game and the conference basketball tournaments.

I believe the LV large and growing market is far more 'accretive' than OR ST and WA ST.

JJ, thanks for pointing out the value of the LV market. I did not realize how large of population LV is. They would make a great travel partner for SDSU.

Hopefully they have donors willing to make an investment in higher coaches salaries. And a willing investment into a NIL collective. 

All the expansion schools should be prepared to step up to attract 4 and 5 star athletes in their foot print. SMU and SDSU have top level talent within a quarter tank of gas drive. Gonna take some young dynamic recruiters and Brinks truck NIL packages to get it done.

I know traditionalist are going laugh this off, but athletics have evolved beyond the linear thinking that has crippled the conference, so I propose  expanding into both Florida and Texas. 

Theoretically, you could create a Gulf Coast Pod that would minimize travel to extreme regions (what the LA schools lack in the BIG 10), while expanding content into 9 am football window (increasing opportunity for exposure with games running morning 'til night), and with this increase content, valuation for the conference would have to increase. 

The Gulf Coast Pod could consist of the following institutions:

SMU

Tulane

Houston ((invite) settle for Rice/UTSA)

UCF ((invite) settle for South Florida/FIA)

That's a horrible football conference, but those school we selected based on tv markets and academics. These programs certainly can not obtain equal sharing, and their progress towards equal sharing should be tied to their success on the grid iron to ensure that their increased revenue from joining the conference is re-invested into athletics to improve their product on the field, which will then in turn assist the perception of the conference overall.

For those who argue the travel would be too costly; remember, if teams play a 9 game conference schedule, 3 of those games are played within their own regional pod, which leaves 6 games outside of their own pod. Of the remaining 6, 3 will be played on road. So the rest of the conference (assuming it consisted of 16 teams) would travel to these Gulf Coast School once every four years (check my math). I don't think that will break the bank for these universities. Beside, who wouldn't like heading to New Orleans in the fall. That sounds like a great road trip.

I don't think an expansion team is as important as getting a team in the playoffs. Before the 4-team playoff the Pac 12 had the excuse of East Coast Bias but now the way they schedule, Pac 12 refs and some of the dumb stuff they do has been exposed.

Too late, stick a fork in the PAC-12. It’s an inside job, like it always is 9as Don Henley’s song says). Kliavkoff is a plant how else could this fall apart so easily? Big 12 will go after SDSU and SMU if they have a killer instinct, that’s exactly what I would do.

On 3/4/2023 at 10:51 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

JJ, thanks for pointing out the value of the LV market. I did not realize how large of population LV is. They would make a great travel partner for SDSU.

Hopefully they have donors willing to make an investment in higher coaches salaries. And a willing investment into a NIL collective. 

All the expansion schools should be prepared to step up to attract 4 and 5 star athletes in their foot print. SMU and SDSU have top level talent within a quarter tank of gas drive. Gonna take some young dynamic recruiters and Brinks truck NIL packages to get it done.

Thanks for the reply.

The Fretita gaming family paid for a very nice football practice facility. (This is the same family that also has contributed generously to Houston.) I think NIL money would be there if the football team, now playing in an NFL stadium close to campus can get turned around and the basketball team, which also plays in an excellent facility on-campus, could return to the days of Tark. 

When looking at the Las Vegas market you have to look at the Clark County population. Henderson, Summerlin  and North Las Vegas are different than Las Vegas in name only.

NW Pod - OR, OR ST, UW, WSU

CA Pod - CAL, Stanford, Fresno, SDSU

West Pod - AZ, ASU, UNLV, Utah

East Pod - CU, SMU, UTSA, Tulane

The above is 'ceiling-walking' and not likely to happen. But this structure would add numerous large markets, get the conference into Texas, and bring in the defending AAC, CUSA and Mountain West champions.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2023 at 7:18 AM, QuackAttack said:

Too late, stick a fork in the PAC-12. It’s an inside job, like it always is 9as Don Henley’s song says). Kliavkoff is a plant how else could this fall apart so easily? Big 12 will go after SDSU and SMU if they have a killer instinct, that’s exactly what I would do.

Good take but I do not think ESPN (SEC) and FOX (B1G) have any interest in investing any additional money for B12 inventory.

ESPN, whose parent Disney is in a cost-cutting mode, will have to come with $70M for Oklahoma and $70M for Texas a year earlier than anticipated. 

FOX has LA tied up so why San Diego State? ESPN/FOX have Dallas/Fort Worth locked up so why SMU?

The B12's Yarmark talks a big game but he has nowhere close to B1G and SEC money to spend.

• Thumbs Up 2