FishDuck Article

The Case for Kayvon Thibodeaux Winning the 2021 Heisman

Oregon football fans might remember December 15, 2018 with fondness. It was on that day that the No. 2 overall prospect in the country and No. 2 defensive end prospect Kayvon Thibodeaux committed to the University of Oregon over other powerhouse schools including Alabama, LSU and USC. The addition of a player of Thibodeaux’s power automatically bumped the Ducks’ odds ...

Read the full article here...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

For a defensive guy to win the Heisman you have to play for Alabama. It's not the way it should be but it is the way it is. 

I never thought a defensive end could win MVP for the Pac-12 Championship game...but it happened.  Not great odds, but if....

Thibs by Kevin Cline.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

I don't think it is a question of whether Thibs can win the Heisman, it is a question of whether Oregon should promote Thibs as a Heisman candidate? The answer to the second question is yes, that is the Oregon way.

Thibs may not win the Heisman, but he deserves to be promoted as a Heisman candidate. When Joey Harrington was at Oregon that is what we did. 

Unknown.jpeg

The promotion of Joey as a Heisman candidate may have hurt Joey professional career, because he ended up getting more press and was a higher draft pick. This pick went to the Detroit Lions, a career killing team at the time.

The promotion of Joey did bring an amazing amount of good press to the Oregon Football Program. This is what we need to do again, and the positive press will, again, help the program. Our defense will excite the next Thibs to come to Oregon. I only wish we had done the same for Ngata, a truly generational talent at the time.

Maybe even start the promotion now to help influence JTT to sign on as the next great DE? Let JTT see what kind of support he can expect if he puts in the effort at Oregon?

Edited by Haywarduck

10 minutes ago, Haywarduck said:

Thibs may not win the Heisman, but he deserves to be promoted as a Heisman candidate.

Great point, and I completely agree; the whole campaign would raise the level of awareness for the Oregon Defense!

Brady Breeze scoop and score_Video.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

3 hours ago, Charles Fischer said:

Great point, and I completely agree; the whole campaign would raise the level of awareness for the Oregon Defense!

Brady Breeze scoop and score_Video.jpg

I also want to be clear I don't think Oregon should promote just anyone for the Heisman. If a recruit is a 5* recruit, not enough to be promoted by the Oregon Football Program. If a kid has a good game, or great season not enough. 

If a player comes to Oregon with lofty goals, works towards those goals, even if he is a 2* recruit, and achieves them we should be all in in promoting the kid for whatever awards warranted. Student athletes should know if they come to Oregon and excel, we have your back, and will put you front and center. 

Some may remember the billboard the next year the Ducks put up in New York.

Unknown-1.jpeg

It is time for Oregon to get into the promotion game again. Not that Cristobal seems to need the help, but why not!

Edited by Haywarduck

4 hours ago, Haywarduck said:

It is time for Oregon to get into the promotion game again. Not that Cristobal seems to need the help, but why not

Bigger and better this time, a billboard and social media, along with I believe a more eager participant in the promotion in KT than Joey. 

• Thumbs Up 1