Pennsylvania Duck

Inside the 'Wild West of NIL': Jurrion Dickey's Ride to Riches

This is an interesting read about Jurrion Dickey's experience with NIL, especially after he became a 5*.

Dickey, who has seen other highly touted prospects land in tough situations by prioritizing paydays above all else, understands that he must keep the bigger picture in mind.

He said he rejected a million-dollar sponsorship because he wasn’t comfortable with the terms of the deal. And though he declined to reveal specifics about his NIL arrangement with Oregon, he said that some other schools’ collectives offered three times as much as the Ducks.

“Real love is hard to find these days,” said Dickey, the Bay Area’s highest-rated recruit since Antioch High’s Najee Harris — now a Pro Bowl running back for the Steelers — was the nation’s No. 1 prospect in 2017.  “I’m going to Oregon because it’s a place that’s stayed truthful with me.”

If Dickey doesn’t sound like a typical high school senior, that’s likely because he’s already dealing with some very grown-up issues. 

WWW.SFCHRONICLE.COM

With an endorsement portfolio worth an estimated six figures, Menlo-Atherton senior wide...

That is a pay site.

On 3/7/2023 at 5:49 PM, Tandaian said:

That is a pay site.

Thanks for letting me know. It's the first time I have used the site and was able to get in. Anyone else having trouble? I will delete if no one else can see it. Too bad because I thought it was a good article with insight into Jurrion Dickey and into NIL.

That was an interesting read. Makes one realize how much has changed in just a couple years. Thanks for posting.

• Thumbs Up 1

I’m blocked, too. 

Didn't work for me either...

Couldn't read article either.

Yeah—I think I got one free article but am blocked now. 

I had no trouble getting into it and didn't receive any warning such as "This is your one free article" or anything like that.  But I'm joining with an overseas URL, so it could be different for me.

I don't blame these athletes for getting whatever is available to them, but too many of these kids have no guidance - it's not going to end well for many of them.  A few years driving a Mercedes and being BMOC and many will end up with the money blown, no education, and no real future.  

Sounds like Dickey has a good head on his shoulders, but I doubt many kids at 17 can be described the same way.  

• Thumbs Up 2

I just posted a John Canzano podcast where he interviews Connor Letourneau of the San Francisco Chronicle about his recent piece on the world of NIL and Oregon Ducks signee Jurrion Dickey. 

Especially for those of you who were unable to get into the site above, you will be able to get an idea of what the article is about. The conversation is lively in the typical Canzano style.

Click to go to Duck Podcasts to listen. It is the last one I posted.

• Applause 1

On 3/7/2023 at 3:00 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

was able to get in

I got into the article using the modern standard way- copying and pasting the url into a certain search bar. Am I allowed to past how to do that here? It's a five second fix, tops. Some sites won't let you do it- such as The Athletic and the Wall Street Journal, but it seems like The Athletic if fazing out anyway.

On 3/8/2023 at 4:15 PM, 2002duck said:

I got into the article using the modern standard way- copying and pasting the url into a certain search bar. Am I allowed to past how to do that here? It's a five second fix, tops. Some sites won't let you do it- such as The Athletic and the Wall Street Journal, but it seems like The Athletic if fazing out anyway.

Hi 2002duck. You mean I just need to post the URL to the article instead? Then readers just copy and paste into the search bar?

Here is URL:  https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/high-school/article/nil-jurrion-dickey-menlo-oregon-17789705.php

On 3/8/2023 at 1:33 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

I just need to post the URL to the article instead?

No, you have to use the 12ft ladder website: 

12FT.IO

Show me a 10ft paywall, I’ll show you a 12ft ladder.

I suggest you bookmark it. The website is just a picture of a fist breaking through a barrier, and then a search bar below. If you copy a url into the search bar it will let you in 85% of the time. Sometimes it will just show you the text of an article as if it were a website from 1993. But the text is all "we" want!

Edited by 2002duck
  • Thanks 1

Very useful, thank you 2002Duck.

• Thanks 1