Charles Fischer

New Tackle Verbal: A Massive Blind-Side Protector?

Boy I don't know....I do like the analysis articles by Chris Courtney on his site Whole Flock of Ducks, but I wonder out loud if an offensive tackle this big has the quickness to take on a Brandon Dorlus or, gasp, a Thibs and protect the quarterback?

Yes, I know he is raw and we are talking about two to three years from now....but isn't that a stretch even then?  (My thoughts--yes, it is)  Possible to you?

Courtney: What are the Ducks getting in Percy Lewis? by SportsPac12

Mr. FishDuck

He looked decent as a D-tackle in his HUDL film.  Maybe there instead of offense.  We could use a big plug in the middle of the line.

Surely he would be a guard if on the Ducks' O-line.

That is what I was thinking too, being a guard or right tackle at best.  As for defensive tackle--I believe he would have a hard time staying low with leverage...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

1 hour ago, Charles Fischer said:

That is what I was thinking too, being a guard or right tackle at best.  As for defensive tackle--I believe he would have a hard time staying low with leverage...

Bingo.

I there are a few absolutes in football. And the "Low Man Wins" on the Defensive Line is one of them. That's why Fire Hydrants that are 6'1 and 325 pounds are so hard to move off the point. It's a leverage game. They drop an anchor and clog up the middle. They're worth their weight in gold.

Dude is a literal mountain.  Obviously a project but a lot of potential.  I think for him to become effective he'll need to slim down to 320, then he'll have enough quickness along with his strength to compete.

9 hours ago, Charles Fischer said:

Boy I don't know....I do like the analysis articles by Chris Courtney on his site Whole Flock of Ducks, but I wonder out loud if an offensive tackle this big has the quickness to take on a Brandon Dorlus or, gasp, a Thibs and protect the quarterback?

Yes, I know he is raw and we are talking about two to three years from now....but isn't that a stretch even then?  (My thoughts--yes, it is)  Possible to you?

Courtney: What are the Ducks getting in Percy Lewis? by SportsPac12

There are some things that he does well, and some things that he needs to work on.

• 1) First and foremost he has a great hand punch. The kind that knocks 9-Techs into next week. The kind that makes some players consider quitting football after getting mauled for two or three hours on a pleasant fall Saturday afternoon.
  • 2) In Pass Pro, he mirrors really well, especially for a big guy. He got out over his skis a few times, but mostly he was on the balls of his feet using his (what 7'0 Plus? wingspan) to absolutely rag doll people.
  • 3) He has a mean streak. It comes out on his tape. You can see it. He even was throwin' some haymakers at a kid that was tired of getting beat on. This guy is a Junkyard Dawg. A fistfight from the snap to the whistle. This is the guy that you want guarding your back, in a dark alley in an unfriendly part of town. He's  what I call a "Tone Setter". When someone cheap shots your QB, this is the guy that goes over the the guy that did it and "Makes Things Right".
  •  
  • He needs to get in better condition, and Coach Feld will get him down to the 330 to 340 range. He's raw no question, but if they can get him playing in the offensive scheme this guy has the chance to be very good.
  • I like him as a RT. He can envelope a Strong Side DE (5T), and he can pin this guy back inside opening up the run game. He can rag doll any pass rusher. He's too long to go around, and to Dip & Rip him he just smothers the DE.

This guy has a big upside if he's willing to work.

• Thumbs Up 1