ChicoDuck

Landon Lullaby

I did a little blurb on him a while back. I meant to post it here too and I forgot.

Landon Hullaby - 6'0/185 Pounds

Bishop Dunne Catholic HS - Dallas, TX - Enrollment 600 Kids (6-12) Freshman Year

Mansfield Timberview HS - Arlington TX - Enrollment 1,890 Kids (9-12) Sophomore & Junior Years

ACCOLADES

Texas Insider - Top 50 for the Class of 2022 (No.26) Listed as a CB/Safety/Nickel

Dave Campbell's Texas Football - Listed as a CB. State Rank No. 43 (Overall) No. 6 (Position)

Hullaby's Top-10 Schools posted via Twitter 1/19/21 - Nebraska, Auburn, Mississippi State, California, Baylor, TCU, Texas, Notre Dame, Oklahoma State and Oregon.

FRESHMAN YEAR - Played CB & 2 High (Cover 2)

•  
  • * Great technique on the back peddle. Bends rather than leans. Keeps his feet under him rather than leaning out over his skis. Maintains his center (gravity). He sinks & changes direction effortlessly. He's 14 years-old!
  • * Smooth transition from the back peddle to the turn. Establishes inside position. Impressive technique for a ninth grader. All of these match-ups are with kids that are older and bigger than him.
  • * Aware in the Tip Drill. Maximizes opportunities when they present themselves.
  • * Recovery speed.
  • * In the Press - Come back on the Slant & Out. Gets his hand in for the PBU. His come backs are smooth & fast. CB skills.
  • * Turns & runs in the Press, forcing (squeezing) the WR out of bounds. The kid is 14 years-old!
  • * Can climb the wall against taller receivers & hand fight them. Body control to tomahawk in the air.
  • * Great range on the Single High. He was late on the jump, but speed to recover. Really fine range to help out over the top too.
  • * From the Nickel - Breaks on the ball to break up the Slant. Attacks the LOS in the Box.
  • * Wrap up guy when tackling. Gets the man on the ground. No boom & miss stuff.
  • * Gets his hands on a LOT of balls. PBU guy. Always around the ball.
  • * Nickel - Can blitz the QB from the Box. Playmaker.
  • * Nickle - Comes up and fills the hole when he's down in the Box. Run support is excellent.
  • *No non-sense guy. Not a lot of "celebrations"/Hero stuff after a play.

SOPHOMORE - 15 years-old - Played CB/Cover 2/Nickel

•  
  • * CB - Played outside-In. Fights through the block and drops the H-Back in the flat. Assignment discipline & awareness. The kid is 15.
  • * In the Press - Tracks the ball up the sideline. Establishes position. Makes the WR irrelevant. Playing Pitch and Catch with the QB. Why would anyone throw to his side?
  • * Nickle - Blitz the QB to cause an incompletion. Playmaker down in the Box.
  • * Powers through the screen from his Cover 2 position. Blows up the play for no gain. Play diagnosis.
  • * From the Press - He squeezes the WR out of bounds, Really quick feet on the Turn & Run. Looks & Plays like a natural CB. The kid is 15.
  • * His change of direction is elite.
  • * From the Press - Nice hand punch at the turn. Result is a PBU at the third level. Really fine CB play.
  • * From the Press - Takes the WR completely out of the Route Tree at the snap, forcing him out of bounds.

JUNIOR - Safety/Cover 2/Single High

•  
  • * Creative in the open field after a Pick. Uses the whole field. Head on a swivel. Playmaker.
  • * Nice range (Hash to Hash +) 20 Yard radius?
  • * Played Cover 2, Single High, and some Nickel.
  • * Nobody got behind him. Green grass behind him is not an issue.

ASSESSMENT

I think Oregon is bringing him in to play Nickel. Well rounded in all facets of the backend. Well coached (Verone McKinley III instincts/polish with Jevon Holland versatility & athleticism). A really fine prospect at the backend. A guy that possesses assignment discipline (a must in a back end guy) and athleticism. All the intangibles that you look for in a back end guy: toughness, fearlessness, the IQ to diagnose schemes, and the savvy to play within a system.

He's a "glue" guy. One of those guys that will quickly become a leader on the field and tie that defense together.

This guy is a really good football player. High ceiling.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Boy...that is an amazing analysis ChicoDuck, and we do thank you.  Sounds like an incredible athlete and I suspect that he is going to get much more attention and offers even though he has verballed.  You can view his offer list of 26 right here, and among them are eight teams in the Pac-12 including USC, along with Baylor, Auburn, Notre Dame and Texas.  They must all see some high upside too!

Reginald Hullaby (@mrhullabytx) | Twitter

Mr. FishDuck

This is the type of player the Ducks need, thanks Chico Duck for covering all the aspects of the game that Lando does so well in. He is surely going to be offered by many, many schools, let's hope he stays right here. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks, ChicoDuck.  I look forward to seeing this gent's progress.  Kids from Texas just seem to have 'it'.

As an aside, I'm surprised at the enrollment of those schools he attended.  I wonder if those are typical numbers for Texas schools (high schools).  Growing up in San Diego, most schools in our district had populations ~3,000...10-12 grades.  Of course that was 3.5 million years ago.....  😧

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, 30Duck said:

This is the type of player the Ducks need, thanks Chico Duck for covering all the aspects of the game that Lando does so well in. He is surely going to be offered by many, many schools, let's hope he stays right here. 

You're welcome.

8 hours ago, Mudslide said:

Growing up in San Diego, most schools in our district had populations ~3,000...10-12 grades.  Of course that was 3.5 million years ago.....  😧

Narbonne High here. There were 1500 in my 10th grade class. I don't know how many of them graduated because I graduated early. We were told that we were the largest class in school history.

WOW. 

I went to North Eugene high school.  My graduating class had under 200 students.  North Eugene is the smallest high school in Eugene after Marist, which is a private school.  Sheldon and South Eugene are the biggest and both sit around 2000 students 9-12.  I couldn't imagine my class having 1500 students.  

Hahaa...I made the mistake of playing 3rd base in high school.  Bad choice.  Craig (Greg) Nettles was in my class....made me rethink my sports career.   😢

3 hours ago, Mudslide said:

Hahaa...I made the mistake of playing 3rd base in high school.  Bad choice.  Craig (Greg) Nettles was in my class....made me rethink my sports career.   😢

That might be what happened to a recent Oregon QB that transferred out. 

On 3/5/2021 at 8:27 AM, Tandaian said:

I went to North Eugene high school.  My graduating class had under 200 students.  North Eugene is the smallest high school in Eugene after Marist, which is a private school.  Sheldon and South Eugene are the biggest and both sit around 2000 students 9-12.  I couldn't imagine my class having 1500 students.  

Same here. That was the problem with North, literally everyone that tried out made the team because we needed the bodies. At South, Sheldon, Churchilll, etc they can pick and choose because the talent pool is much deeper. 30-50 kids trying out vs 100-200 kids trying out, they can be a bit more picky.

7 hours ago, countryboy541 said:

Same here. That was the problem with North, literally everyone that tried out made the team because we needed the bodies. At South, Sheldon, Churchilll, etc they can pick and choose because the talent pool is much deeper. 30-50 kids trying out vs 100-200 kids trying out, they can be a bit more picky.

It didn't used to be that way. I remember in the early 70's warming up at Autzen Stadium on a Friday and watching 100+ North Eugene players trot out onto the field before the game for warm-ups. It was a sea of red for more than half the field. North Eugene was one of the "Big Schools" that we played.