noDucknewby

Now This is Interesting . . . New UO President Announced (from B1G)

From my Inbox today:

Dear University of Oregon community members,

I am thrilled and honored to announce that the UO Board of Trustees has named John Karl Scholz as the 19th president of the University of Oregon. He will begin his appointment on July 1, 2023.

Karl Scholz is a distinguished economist, professor, and current provost at the University of Wisconsin at Madison. He is an inspiring leader with passion for public higher education. Scholz is deeply committed to the success of students, to the university’s research and liberal arts roots, and its focus on creating societal impact. Incoming President Scholz possesses all the qualities necessary to take the University of Oregon into its next ambitious era.

I invite you to tune in to the livestream announcement this morning as we introduce and hear from Incoming President Karl Scholz. Please join us at 11:10 a.m. by visiting this website where you can also read more about the selection.

The trustees unanimously selected Scholz following a six-month international search process conducted by a 22-member presidential search committee comprised of trustees, students, faculty, staff, and academic and administrative leaders, as well as representatives from higher education and the external community.

The presidential search committee members and trustees were impressed by Scholz’s depth of experience as provost and dean of the College of Letters & Science — a college the size of the UO. They appreciated his approachability, commitment to fostering diversity and inclusion, and immense care for students and their success. Scholz personified the qualities that members of the UO community said they valued and hoped to see in the next president.

In addition to being an experienced higher education leader, Scholz is a leading economist, national thought leader, and professor whose economics expertise is in household savings, low-wage labor markets, financial barriers to higher education, and bankruptcy laws. He served in two presidential administrations, working in both the U.S. Treasury Department and the Council of Economic Advisors.

Scholz has been provost at University of Wisconsin-Madison since August of 2019. Prior to that he served for six years as the dean of the College of Letters & Science. He was also the Nellie June Gray Professor of Economic Policy in the department of economics and served as the director of UW–Madison’s Institute for Research on Poverty for four years.

Scholz joined the UW–Madison Economics Department in 1988. From 1990 to 1991 he was a senior staff economist at the Council of Economic Advisors and from 1997 to 1998 he served as deputy assistant secretary for tax analysis at the U.S. Treasury Department.

A native of Nebraska, Scholz graduated from Carleton College in Northfield, Minnesota, and earned his doctorate from Stanford University. Scholz is married to Melissa Scholz, an attorney focused on non-profit law. They have three daughters, one of whom is currently a PhD student at the University of Oregon.

I want to thank Patrick Phillips for his leadership as interim president since August 2022 following the departure of former president Michael Schill to take the president’s role at Northwestern University. We could not have asked for a better leader to step into this role for the past six months. Patrick has played a central role in the development of the UO over the last decade, especially in fostering a strategic vision of a university fully committed to its public purpose. We are grateful for his devotion to the University of Oregon.

Phillips will return to the UO faculty and continue to lead his biology lab. The board will vote Tuesday and is expected to name current Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer Jamie Moffitt as the interim president until Scholz arrives on July 1.

I want to thank the presidential search committee members for their thoughtful, discerning, and incredible commitment to this process, as well as the many university and community members who provided input during the process.

We are entering an exciting era with an outstanding new leader. Please join me in offering a warm and enthusiastic welcome to Incoming President Karl Scholz.

Sincerely,

Ginevra Ralph
UO Board of Trustees Board Chair

• Thumbs Up 1

I was kind of hoping for a woman president, but he certainly sounds qualified. Good luck to him as new president of UO!

Here is the official announcement from UO. Click to view...

If you want to watch the announcement coming up, the link is in article below.

Probably should have been more descriptive in my initial post, just wanted to get the "scoop" ha ha.  

What I find interesting is that our new president is a Big Ten guy.  Not saying that in itself means anything, but I do find it quite interesting.

On 3/13/2023 at 12:38 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Here is the official announcement from UO. Click to view...

If you want to watch the announcement coming up, the link is in article below.

PA Duck and anyone else, do you have any idea where this gentleman stands regarding college athletics? 

Wisconsin is historically very good in football, basketball, and ice hockey. But does this gentleman give a whip about sports? 

I'm hoping he is not another Bloch at UCLA. As an economist, I hope he understands how success on the playing field and court lifts all boats and helps the bottom line.

I wonder what role if any he played in terminating Paul Chryst and bringing in Luke Fickell as HC of the football team?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/13/2023 at 1:19 PM, Jon Joseph said:

PA Duck and anyone else, do you have any idea where this gentleman stands regarding college athletics? 

Hi Jon. Haven't found too much about him regarding his viewpoints on college athletics. I did find an article with quotes from him regarding the addition of USC/UCLA to the B1G. This is the article below and if I run across anything else, I will post here.

UW officials welcome USC, UCLA to Big Ten Conference

247SPORTS.COM

In a move that sent seismic shockwaves throughout the sports world Thursday, both of the Pac-12's flagship institutions will join...

• Applause 1

PA Duck, if you notice in the article, he was Interim Chancellor at the time USC/UCLA were added.  Meaning that he had to vote on the addition of USC/UCLA as all Big Ten presidents.

You have him here (former Big Ten member) and your former President is at Northwestern (I believe).

Connections can not hurt.

• Thumbs Up 2

Forgot to check on the Big Ten Academic Alliance (governed by the provosts of the member institutions) . He was the Chair of the Big Ten Academic Alliance. Not only was he in contact with the various Presidents of the Big Ten as interim president.  But being on the governing board of the Big Ten Academic Alliance, he was in regular contact with the various provosts at the various Big Ten Institutions as well as the University of Chicago.

image.png.5a93af540bbb331805397c6467a9e86c.png

image.png.8a098bab3e845bd0312d3505641854fb.png

• Thanks 1

Incoming University of Oregon president lauded Big Ten expansion while at Wisconsin,

won’t say his preferred conference for Ducks

Incoming University of Oregon president John Karl Scholz has an affinity for sports, lauded the Big Ten’s expansion to the West coast last summer and referenced UO’s athletic department during his introductory remarks.

Scholz, presently the provost at the University of Wisconsin, was unanimously approved by UO’s board of trustees to become the 19th president of the university on Monday and subsequently introduced on the Eugene campus. His term officially begins July 1.

“The track record of excellence and innovation of the University of Oregon athletic department is something that every university in the country aspires to,” Scholz said during his introductory speech. “The devotion, passion and advocacy of the alumni, friends and trustees and the relationship with the community in which we are located, this support is unmatched. Duck pride is palpable.”

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Asked whether he has a preference for Oregon’s conference affiliation, Scholz declined to say.

WATCH Introduction of John Karl Scholz as UO President

FYI, Due to formalities, he does not speak until around the 12:00 minute mark.

New UO president's Big Ten roots add fuel to conference realignment fire

What all of this means

In a short-term view of things, this doesn’t mean much when it comes to the world of conference realignment. Scholz isn’t taking over at Oregon until July, and he won’t be able to throw his weight around in a major way immediately.

In a long-term view of things, though, this certainly could be something that inches the University of Oregon on when it comes to the notion of leaving the Pac-12 for the Big Ten. There are, of course, a ton of moving pieces, and it takes more than just the actions of one university president to make that sort of move happen. However, based on his track record, and his stated opinions on both realignment and the status of the Big Ten, it feels like fans who are in the camp of “Oregon needs to leave the Pac-12” should be happy with this hire.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The new UO president has been vocal about his approval of conference realignment and Big Ten expansion in the past.