Duck 1972

Solutions for the Lacking TE Room?

I was just wondering if we could run an extra lineman and split out TE instead of two TE (one split, one blocking) to help with there being only 3 in the room.

We have numbers on the OL but only Herbert as a true blocking TE. Saddiq is a true FR and more of a split out and so is

Ferguson.

We could pick up another TE out of the portal but then would have to have someone else leave with us already needing 7 players removed.

We ran the extra OL w/1 TE at goal line last year and was successful. Why wouldn't that work for the whole game?

Hi Duck 1972. I am posting the article from a couple of days ago that talks about having only 3 scholarship players in the TE Room. This may offer more background to facilitate discussion.

Oregon Spring Preview: Tight End Depth Takes a Hit Following Departures

The Ducks roster has just three scholarship tight ends with spring football beginning next week.

Click here to read the article in Ducks Digest.

Duck 1972, I would not be surprised to see movement at Oregon in terms of position if the Ducks do not find a TE in the portal in two months.  For example, the defense has TWELVE edge rushers on the roster, when you only need four, five at most?  Most are TE size and probably played it on offense in HS as well.  The coaches could find the best five edges, and let the bottom two know there are options elsewhere on the team?

DJ Johnson transferred to Oregon as a TE/DE combo, so taking a freshman or RS freshman or two from the Edge position would not hurt depth, and yet give the young guns some potential PT this next year.

Patrick Herbert is going to score!

Patrick Herbert1_Eric Evans of Oregon Football Twitter - Copy - Copy.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

There has been talk about using Matayo U as a TE as he played some in high school. 

So you all prefer playing 2 TE's to playing 6 lineman. Would it even be viable running an offense that features six OL like Stanford did to us several years ago?

Isn't Will Stein known for effectively utilizing TE's in the passing game? I thought we would lock up more TE's this past recruiting cycle, especially after he was hired. Some passed on us.  

I will wait until the spring game to pass judgement on the TE's.  Im sure Lanning has some plans

On 3/13/2023 at 4:28 PM, 2002duck said:

Isn't Will Stein known for effectively utilizing TE's in the passing game?

We have had a number of analysis articles and posts explaining that, 1) he is the most flexible OC I've seen, as what he did last year was incredible, and 2) he uses a ton of one-TE formations, and will adapt to what we have.

FISHDUCK.COM

The title looks like classic hype to promote a blah-blah article, or serves as typical web click-bait. Yet those of you who have watched my videos and read my…

Mr. FishDuck

Best case scenario on April 1st we may get a preferred walk-on TE who is a 5* talent. If Duce gets drafted high enough in baseball he would play football as a preferred walk-on.

I imagine the Ducks are doing everything they can to get this young man on campus before he commits on April 1st. The bonus would be he wouldn't count against the scholarship limit if he plays pro ball. Duce would answer a lot of the problems at the TE position, and with our scholarship limit issues.

Right now our tight end position group is lacking, and needs somebody to step into a big role.

On 3/13/2023 at 8:36 PM, Haywarduck said:

Best case scenario on April 1st we may get a preferred walk-on TE who is a 5* talent. If Duce gets drafted high enough in baseball he would play football as a preferred walk-on.

I imagine the Ducks are doing everything they can to get this young man on campus before he commits on April 1st. The bonus would be he wouldn't count against the scholarship limit if he plays pro ball. Duce would answer a lot of the problems at the TE position, and with our scholarship limit issues.

Right now our tight end position group is lacking, and needs somebody to step into a big role.

Hayward, with the $ a pro baseball team would be paying him do you think the team would let him play CFB? I know this has happened before but today we are talking huge dollars.

• Go Ducks! 1

On 3/13/2023 at 6:12 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Hayward, with the $ a pro baseball team would be paying him do you think the team would let him play CFB? I know this has happened before but today we are talking huge dollars.

I would argue the question is would a team draft him high knowing he is going to play football, not would they let him. Agree his desire to play football will likely pull him off a high draft position, but the kid is the kind of talent you take a chance on. You don't want to waste a top pick on somebody who may end up playing football.

Remember Tampa Bay tried to play that game with Bo Jackson. They wasted a draft choice on Bo when he went and played baseball instead of being a Buc. These kids will do what they want and with NIL money he can do alright playing college football.

He, and his father have stated he will play college football. The way he would play college football would be as a preferred walk-on, if he is drafted high. Time will tell how it plays out, and if the outside chance Oregon has will come true. 

It is true this is a very complex situation, and I have no information other than what is available to everyone off the internet.

On 3/13/2023 at 2:48 PM, Duck 1972 said:

So you all prefer playing 2 TE's to playing 6 lineman. Would it even be viable running an offense that features six OL like Stanford did to us several years ago?

No. It is inadvisable to have six OL on a regular basis.  You tip off the defense to what you will NOT do, or will do.  Stanford could not score large amounts of points with that offense, and Cristobal already proved the same at Oregon with that mindset.

On 3rd or 4th and short--fine.  As a regular formation?  No, I don't think the coaches will do it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck